Search for content in message boards

Tracing my Johannsen Ancestors a request from New Zealand

Tracing my Johannsen Ancestors a request from New Zealand

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 9:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Oct 2012 7:17AM GMT
Surnames: Johannsen, Johansen, Hansen
Hello, I have hit a brick wall in tracing my great great grand parents, the only information I have is:
Johann peter Johannsen b. 1803? Spouse, Helena Hansen b. 1808?
Their son: Peter Christian Johannsen b. 1841? Possibly clues from:

Nordhackstedt, Schleswig-Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein; or, DENMARK

Spouse: Anna Christina Johansen (maiden name) b. 1846 in Germany. Her father Hans Johansen?
Marriage date: 1869 in Germany?,

They migrated to New Zealand about 1874?

There is a link to our FamilyTree in my profile, please do have a look; there is all the associated documentation and photos that we have available.

Their family and life in Europe (Germany or Denmark) and migration records are the ones I lack and have trouble tracing. Mum always said her grandfather was Danish, but all documentation I have here indicates German ancestry. I have catalogued their life in New Zealand and have included additional facts for you in case the references help.

Their children (born in New Zealand) were Henry and Anna Caroline, Peter then married Harriett after Anna Christina’s death and had four more children: Clara, Arthur, Eva and Albert.

If there is anyone who has any information or assistance would be so appreciated, thank you in anticipation.

Even if you cannot help me, but if you think I can help you in records from New Zealand, then please just send me a message and if I can I will.

Kind regards Steve

Re: Finding Johannsen Relatives from Germany

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 2:19PM GMT
Edited: 23 Sep 2012 2:21PM GMT
I'm guessing the actual spelling of the town is Nordhackstedt--located on the border of Germany and Denmark, which makes sense because the names you give are not very German, they are much more Scandinavian. Also, if the place you were looking for was in a more "German" region of Germany (for lack of a better word), the spelling would likely be Stadt not Sted/Stedt. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordhackstedt

The German Wikipedia article is longer, though it mostly discusses the city's shield: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordhackstedt

Reply: Finding Johannsen Relatives from Germany

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 6:56PM GMT
Surnames: Johannsen & Johansen
Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my question, you have given me some information that should prove valuable (a possible village name) and help clear up some confusion, thanks again. Regards Steve

Re: Finding Johannsen Relatives from Germany

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 6:57PM GMT
I do agree with borstel's answer. You should put your query on the Schleswig-Holstein board.

Re: Reply: Finding Johannsen Relatives from Germany

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 6:59PM GMT
Hi Steve,

I'll do some online research for you. A cousin Evelyn lives quite close to the area and may also be able to help you.

Gaby

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 7:01PM GMT
Surnames: Johannsen & Johansen
Thank you for the confirmation; more good advice, I would never have known to put it on the Schleswig-Holstein board, hopefully I can move it. Thank you, kind regards Steve

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 7:07PM GMT
The church books 1665-1774 have been microfilmed:

https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainfra... &columns=*,0,0

Good luck.
Gaby

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 7:13PM GMT
There are only two Johannsens in Nordhackstedt, probably relatives.

Birger Johannsen
Mayweg 2
D-24980 Nordhackstedt
Germany
Tel. 0049-4639 71 81

http://www.ffhaus.de/

04639 71 81

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 6:13AM GMT
Hi Gaby, thank you so much for your efforts, I now have some more investigation and learning to do. I really appreciate your time. Kind regards Steve

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 2:39AM GMT
Hello folks,

Peter Christian Johannsen and Anna Christina Johannsen nee Johannsen had three children:

Johann Peter Johannsen DOB: 1869

Hans Peter Johannsen DOB: 1870

Arthalina Johannsen DOB: 1872

The family may have had a very tough life and migrated to New Zealand about 1874 and had two more children here; but the three children born in Nordhackstedt, Schleswig-Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany did not come with them.
From the rootdigger.de web site:

Johannsen, Hans Peter * 1870 7 Oct. Accused (in 1892) of leaving the country without a permit for emigration and of not showing for military service.

Johannsen, Johann Peter * 1869 14 June Accused (in 1892) of leaving the country without a permit for emigration and of not showing for military service.

I think this could be the boys, the dates match. This still adds to the mystery as to why mum and dad (Peter & Anna) left them behind, assisted immigrants had their children’s passage paid as well. That is why census records from the 1870's up would be very handy, they must have been staying with a relative surely; or, perhaps an orphanage, or in the Armenhause. It is not normal behaviour for parents to leave their babies, it is absolutely unusual......... that is my dilemma and the clue to my next tip, where can I find these please? I have searched all the resources I know for these census records. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards Steve
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions