Search for content in message boards

Hawley

Posted: 28 Nov 2004 1:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Feb 2006 12:33PM GMT
Surnames: Hawley
Does anyone have any info on any Hawley families living in Stephenson County Illinois??? Or on Jared Hawley born about 1770 (VT?) died 1-9-1851 Stephenson Co. IL. His son was Jared Hawley born 3-13-1804 in VT he died 7-1892 in Stephenson Co. Illinois and was married to Alcesta. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Robin

Re: Hawley

Posted: 31 Jan 2005 11:05AM GMT
I might have some information that could be useful. I have a Jared Hawley who is buried in the Wright Settlement Cemetery, Rome, Oneida Co., New York who died 14 July 1825, Aged 78 years. He was a Revolutionary War Soldier. I have his complete family line if you are interested.

Re: Hawley (Jared Hawley and now Nelson Hawley)

Posted: 31 Jan 2005 2:03PM GMT
Surnames: hawley
Dennis,
Do you think his line fits into this Jared Hawley line?? kinda might with the name uh maybe name handed down?? Would be glad to have info if you can share it. I also have just lately found the Hawley name come into play with my own family which I thought was a coiencdence uh?? Nelson Hawley born abt 1801 who was married to a Rona ??? maybe you have this info too??? thanks for anything you can share with me!!!!!
Robin nobhillfarms@aeroinc.net

Re: Hawley

Posted: 4 Mar 2005 1:49AM GMT
Dennis,
I am also working on the Jared Hawley (John Holley) line. I'm hoping you can make a connection to Jared Hawley. My ancestor is Olivia Hawley, b.1800, she married Stephen Thayer about 1820. They were of Rome, Oneida, NY and removed to Geauga County, OH. The son Jared bought land in Geauga Co. Thank you in advance. Bonnie
Posted: 4 Mar 2005 3:34AM GMT
Dennis,
Do you think his line fits into this Jared Hawley line?? kinda might with the name uh maybe name handed down?? Would be glad to have info if you can share it. I also have just lately found the Hawley name come into play with my own family which I thought was a coiencdence uh?? Nelson Hawley born abt 1801 who was married to a Rona ??? maybe you have this info too??? thanks for anything you can share with me!!!!!
Robin nobhillfarms@aeroinc.net

Re: John/Jared Hawley

Posted: 4 Mar 2005 6:46PM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2005 2:40PM GMT
Surnames: HAWLEY/HOLLY WHEELER STEVENS
Dennis,
I have followed George H. Stevens, born Brutus NY, married 1856 Belfast NY Ceraphana Wheeler, born Ohio, dau of Charles Wheeler b. Mass d. Dec 1 1872 and Alcesta Hawley b. 1819 d. April 11 1889, Charles and wife buried Riverside Cem. Belfast. The Hawley Record has Alcesta dau of Thomas Hawley and Mary Briggs; Thomas son of John Hawley b 1747 and Hannah Rose b 1747 d. 1849. However, gravestones in Wright Settlement cem. read "Jared, Rev War d. july 14 1825 age 78" and "Hannah, relict Gerrard b. March 20 1747 d Feb 11 1849 102 years". Surrounding graves match children of JOHN and Hannah as given in Hawley Record. Have seen claims that marriage record of 1st cong. church of Griswald, " Hannah Rose and John Holley both of Norwich June 10 1765 "are this couple. Can you explain the John/Jared conflict?

Posted: 5 Mar 2005 12:31PM GMT
Hello Matt, Do you have any record of a Jared Hawley born 3-13-1804 in VT who married Alcesta who was born 11-5-1809??? Jared's father we are thinking was Jared born abt 1769-1770 born in CT. Another name that comes into play somewhere is a Alfred Hawley. We know this because back in 1846 he sold 38 acres to Jared and his wife Alcesta (Alsea??) . Alfred bought the land from the goverment back in abt 1844. I have a tombstone that I am desperatly wanting to find the right place for it and not back in the cow pasture. if I can prove it goes to a cemetery. Do you have any info that might help me???? Thanks Robin

Posted: 5 Mar 2005 6:21PM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2005 2:40PM GMT
Hello Robin: I know of only two Jared Hawleys. Tombstone Jared, Rev war, who is called John in the Hawley Record, and his son Jared, no grave. Hawley Record says the son was born abt 1771. He married Susan Briggs, The two Jareds are in the 1820 census for Rome NY. Perhaps Jared 2 is on later census. No children of Jared 2 are given in the Hawley record. Census info and cem. transcriptions are on NY Oneida Co. rootsweb. All the info in the Hawley Record is at www.Hawleysociety.org. No primary sources. They have researchers, but I've not used them. Jared 2's brother, Thomas (my line) married Mary Briggs, so the bros. prob. married sisters. Prob. born in Preston, New London Conn. Family moved to Shaftsbury, Bennington Vt. (after war?) Sister Eliz. there married Paul Herrington. Wright Settlement , Rome, was settled by a group from Vt. Numerous Hawleys in Bennington Co 1790 census, but no Jared Hawley (although Jared as first name pretty common there).
I find the Ohio connection interesting. My Alcesta was born Rome, but dau. Ceraphana was born Ohio abt 1838. Were back in NY 1860. Perhaps some of the Rome family moved into Ohio together. Ohio lands given to Conn. people whose homes were burned by Brits. "The firelands". Also Northern Ohio was the Western Reserve of Conn. Are your acres there?
Wish I could be of more help. Matt

T Hawley (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2005 11:42PM GMT
This discussion on the Holly / Hawley family is great! Does anyone have a Benjamin, brother of John and son of Samuel? He seems to be missing from The Hawley Record entry.

Also, have any of you connected back to the original Joseph Hawley or his brothers, as cited in The Hawley Record. If this family traces back to Robert or Thomas, the traditional brothers of Joseph Hawley (1603-1690) of Connecticut (brother Robert supposed to be in Rhode Island, Thomas in Massachusetts), the information would be proof of the relationship. And, if you have a male of the Hawley surname who would like to participate in the Hawley Society DNA study, we could have genetic evidence. What a fantastic opportunity!

If interested in the DNA study, I can provide a contact for more information. The Hawley Society is also trying to find people with the Hawley surname in England for this research.

Posted: 6 Mar 2005 3:25PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2005 6:41PM GMT
This is what I've found on Benjamin while searching for Jared/John. I hope it helps.

BIRTH: Barbour Collection 1687-1850, Paris Parts I & II compiled by Marsha Wilson Carbaugh, Genealogy Publishing Company Inc.; p. 130, Benjamin, s.
[Samuel], b. Feb. 20, 1761.

MILITARY: Abstracts of Rev. War Pension Files, Vol. II, F-M Abstracted by Virgil D. White, The National Historical Publishing Company, Waynesburg, Tenn. 1991, p. 1681; Holley, Benjamin, S23269, RI Line, sol enl at Preston in New London Co CT & he was there 20 Jan 1761 & soon after the Rev he moved to Whiting in Addison Co VT then moved to Hebron in Washington Co NY then to Pawlet VT for 12 or 15 yrs & then lived a short time in each of several towns & about 1810 he moved to Bristol in Addison Co VT & he appl there 26 Jul 1832, one Robert Holley of Bristol VT stated on 26 Jul 1832 he srv with Benjamin Holley his brother.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic