Search for content in message boards

Heimatverein

Heimatverein

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 2:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just started my genealogical research a few years ago. One of my research side-trips involves my uncle "Rheal Robineau" who was shot down over Germany in February 1944. I have some details of the crash from the Royal Canadian AirForce investigation after the war. One quote from their report says:

" "The plane Crashed 1.5 km south west of Frankenhofen (L48/X-377713). Witness states that an aircraft came from the direction of the target in flames at approximately 02:00 hours. When over the village it made three large descending spirals, finally crashing in the woods, 1.5 km south west of the village."

Someone on Facebook pointed me to the usefulness of local Heimatverein. My long-winded intro is to get to my question as to whether anyone is aware of a local
Heimatverein around Frankenhofen. Apparently these Heimatverein's sometimes have historical material and may have archived reports of the crash or photos.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Roger Robineau

Re: Heimatverein

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 3:12PM GMT
Do you know which Frankenhofen we are talking about, i.e.
Frankenhofen near Ehingen or Frankenhofen in Kaltental as both are fairly close to Augsburg.

Unfortunately, L48/X-377713 doesn't mean anything to me.

Bob Behnen

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 3:34PM GMT
L48/X-377713 should be coordinates of the village
L48 -> latitude 48 degree
X-377713 -> some kind of longitude (should depend from source)
L 48 would fit to Frankenhofen, today part of Bad Wörishofen

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 4:19PM GMT
I am assuming that Frankenhofen is the name of a village. So, if i understand this correctly there are two Frankenhofen's relatively close to each other.

The "L48..." are map coordinates. In the details of the crash the village of Ehingen is mentioned and they were on a bombing run to Augsburg.

Are there any historical archives/societies in the area? The following information may shed some light on which Frankenhofen it is.

Excerpt from RCAF Report (The report mentions a US bomber, but it was actually Canadian).

"Exhaustive investigations in the Ersingen-Risstissen areas revealing no trace of any aircraft. I proceeded to the Rathaus Ehingen (“X” 47.67) and i examined the relevant files for the whole of Ehingen landkreis. The only incident recorded there which refers to British aircraft was a report from the Buergermeister at Frankenhofen (“X” 38.72) concerning a supposedly American 4 motored bomber which crashed near there on the night 25/26:2:1944. Heir Reisch, clerk to the Landrat, who is at this moment engaged in compiling a record of Allied Personnel buried in this area for the French Authorities, assured me that this was the only aircraft to crash at that time in the whole Ehingen area. The following is a report i took from from Hernn Eierstueck, Buergermeister of Frankenhofen".

Thanks

Roger Robineau

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 9:23PM GMT
Roger,

It sounds to me like we are talking about Frankenhofen near Ehingen.

I would recommend reaching out to Jutta Uhl
I am not sure if she speaks English; however, she is on the
Ehingen town council representing the Frankenhofen area and she also heads up the local town band and will certainly know whom to forward the request to (a local Heimatverein) or what files if any would be available.

http://www.cdu-ehingen.de/index.php?ka=1&ska=profil&...

Just click on E-mail senden to send her an e-mail.

Hope this helps.

Bob Behnen

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 9:33PM GMT
Roger,

here is the internet page for Ehingen city archives:

http://ehingen.de/,Lde/startseite/Kultur_Freizeit/stadtarchi...

It looks like they would be the folks to write to about this matter - their e-mail/contact info is on the right side of the page.

Bob Behnen

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 9:59PM GMT
Roger,

it appears that another plan went down in the area about a month later (March 18, 1944) in the town of Erbstetten also located in district of Ehingen (Donau).

Here is a wikipedia page with mention of a memorial along with three pictures about that plane crash and a memorial that was erected there:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erbstetten_(Ehingen)

search for the word Flugzeugabsturz and you will find the section on the page.

Bob

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 3:59PM GMT
Hello Robert,

I had send an email to the community of Ehingen and became this answer:

Sehr geehrter Herr Zwarberg,

für Ihre mail danke ich Ihnen.

In der Nacht vom 25. zum 26. Februar 1944 gegen 2 Uhr stürzte bei Frankenhofen nach Abschuss durch einen deutschen Jäger ein kanadischer Bomber vom Typ Halifax LW III ab. Von der sieben köpfigen Besatzung kamen zwei ums Leben. Die Personalien der Flieger sind uns derzeit noch nicht bekannt. Dagegen kennen wir den Absturzort, der ziemlich genau Ihren Angaben entspricht.

Für weitere Rückfragen stehen wir gerne zu Ihrer Verfügung und sind selbstverständlich auch für weitere Informationen zu diesem Absturz dankbar.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Dr. Ludwig Ohngemach

The email was send by Dr. Ludwig Ohngemach and this is his adress: L.Ohngemach@ehingen.de

Translation:

In the night of 25 to 26 februari 1944 at about 02.00 hours at night a Canadian bomber crashed after been shot down by a German fighter. It was a Halifax LW III. 2 members of the crew of seven died. De identity of the pilot is not known at this moment. We know quit excactly the location of the crash. For any questions your are welcome to contact and we would also apreciate any further information you have about the crash.

Sincerly,

Dr. Ludwig Ohngemach

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 4:44PM GMT
Thank You

I will be in touch with them. Apparently, someone named Otmar Gotterbarm is writing a book on the mission over Augsburg in February 1994 which may have further details and pictures. Due to be released in March.

Roger Robineau
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions