Search for content in message boards

anglicized name Albert?

anglicized name Albert?

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 3:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Reck
Would a German immigrant to the USA in late 1800s anglicize a son's name (who was a US citizen by birth) from Adelber to Albert? All other records (I don't have his birth certificate yet)list his first name as Albert BUT his death certicate has Adelber.

Re: anglicized name Albert?

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 10:04AM GMT
Albert is also a German first name. It is of same origin as Adelbert or Adalbert.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adalbert_(given_name)

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 3:51PM GMT
Perhaps it was just a dislike of Adalbert? My gt. grandmother appears to have been Mary Jane, cannot find any record of marriage so have no idea what she married under and consequently cannot trace birth, but the two closest guesses have her as Mary. Three children's births were registered, on all she is plain Jane as she is on husband's death certificate. Then she never appears as Jane again but is recorded several times officially as plain Mary. On her death certificate she ends up as Mary Jane. Your guess is as good as mine - I have a feeling her husband did not like Mary and preferred calling her Jane, she adored him and when he died she did not want anyone else to call her Jane. Just to show what can happen - hope it helps.

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 9:11PM GMT
Surnames: Reck
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Names are funny things. I just found my grandfather's birth record and his father gave his son's first name as his own name. It was scratched out and then corrected. There was the word "disposition" written in beside his son's first name that was entered incorrectly. I assume my grandfather had to swear that his son's name was different than he first suggested. In the typed record of later years it has is correct name but still shows there was a disposition.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions