Search for content in message boards

Voutsinas & Bacoula Family

Voutsinas & Bacoula Family

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 12:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Voutsinas, Bacoula
My grandfather Paul Voutsinas was born in 1916 in what was Constantinople. When he was 5 he and his mum were forced to flee Constantinople which then became Istanbul and settled in Athens. His mother and father had an arranged marriage and divorced when he was still very young. His father Edmond Voutsinas was an Engineer. His mother was called Eminea Bacoula.

I am desperately trying to find out more about his genealogy but haven't had much luck.

Any information, tips or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Voutsinas & Bacoula Family

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 10:13PM GMT
Edited: 21 Mar 2013 10:16PM GMT
Voutsinas is a well known and well connected family originally from Corfu and Lafkada. Mid 19th century, many migrated to Odessa, Russia (Today Ukraine), a family or two may have settled in Constantinople (Constantinople being on the way). The had relatives in both Constantinople and Odessa. EDMOND is not an orthodox name and therefore it is wrong.

Bacoula (MPAKOULA) is another "Asian Minor" name, female name for "MPAKOS = BAKOS". (MPAKOS (male) MPAKOULA (female)). Off course it is related to many Greek names like MPAKO-POULOS, MPAKO-GIANNIS, etc.

You have a lot of work ahead of you.

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 10:17PM GMT
Thank you very much for the information.

They were catholic and not orthodox hence the name.

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 10:31PM GMT
I do not know this specific person but every member of the family I know was Greek Orthodox.
In Greece, two well known individuals are:
George Voutsinas born Leukada 1874, died Athens 1938. Greek writer and Journalist, Prefect of Serra, Thessaloniki, & Achaia. Editor of the papers PATRIS & AKROPOLIS, etc.
Ioannis Voutsinas. born Odessa 1834, died Odessa 1902. Poet. Family was originally from Kephalonia. Did go to school in Syros but returned to Odessa. Was a merchant in odessa.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic