Search for content in message boards

Martin Reed

Posted: 6 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 12 Feb 2003 4:34PM GMT
Surnames: REED, TOWNE, NYMPH, WALTERS, MARSHALL, ROBBINS, TOWNS, MILLER
Martin REED was born in Erie County, N. Y. Feb. 15, 1827, died June 4th, 1910, aged 88 years, 8 months and 19 days. He moved with his parents to Detroit, Mich., about 1834 and subsequently to Marshall county Indiana where he grew to manhood amid the stirring scenes of pioneer life. He helped to clear the homestead farm which he afterwards purchased of his father. In an early day he produced much of the saleratus used by the pioneers of the country. April 9, 1848 he was married to Emaline TOWNS, moved to Iowa soon after where he resided until 1851, thence to Marshall county, Ind., where he resided till his death.

His early life was spent in looking after and caring for the things of this world; which come to naught. He was quite successful in laying by plenty of earthly riches which he inn latter years distributed equally among his children, frequently giving each a check of $100 but in the last few months of his stay here in mortality, life took on a different aspect, seemingly; Christ was all and in all to him. He acknowledged him as his Savior, often calling on the name of the Lord and expressing his desire to become a child of the King.

There was born to Mr. and Mrs. Reed, eight children, six boys and two girls, all of whom survive him. He leaves to mourn his departure eight children, twenty-four grandchildren and twenty great-grandchildren.

Those out of town who attended the funeral were: Rudolph NYMPH, wife and son of South Bend; Charles WALTERS and wife of Chicago; Mrs. Gene MARSHALL, John ROBBINS and wife; and Miss Sallie ROBBINS of Plymouth; Dade and Charles TOWNS of Walnut and James MILLER of Argos.

Posted: 16 Sep 2001 5:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jan 2005 8:51PM GMT
Surnames: Walters, Town(e), Radseck, Poling, Smallidge, Carlisle
i am very interested in the wife of martin reed as she may have some connection to my family. especially since there is a charles walters from chicago who attended the funeral. my interest lies in any relation to mary town(e) who married a John Walters in Fulton County IN around 1882. the Charles Walters mentioned my be my grandfather and his first wife. Charles was born in 1882 my father alos told me a Town name was Dimone(?) and a Charles Town.

Re: Martin Reed

Posted: 16 Sep 2001 6:28PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jul 2002 7:32PM GMT
Surnames: Reed, Town, Walters, Hutchinson, Allen, Shaw, Taft, Cushman
Hi,

Sorry I don't have more on TOWN. In the book "Read Genealogy" by Henry Martyn Dodd, he writes of Martin & Fanny:

(Page 87):

Martin Stryker Reed, son of Benjamin (9) born Feb. 15th 1827, in Erie co., NY died June 4th, 1910 at Bourbon. He married (1) Fanny Emeline Town, Apr. 7th 1848, who died Oct. 8th, 1890. He married (2) about 1896, Mrs. Jane Taft, whose maiden name was Cushman. She died Feb. 15th, 1911. He had by his first wife:

1. Margaret Ellen, May 11, 1849
2. Charles Warren, Mar 14, 1851.
3. Albert Maxwell, May 11, 1852.
4. Elijah Martin, Sept. 5, 1854.
5. Olive Roxana, Sept 20, 1856.
6. Richard, Apr. 14, 1858.
7. William Henry Harrison, Dec 31, 1859.
8. Rose Melvin, Oct 7, 1861.

Martin Reed was an unusually versatile and successful farmer and trader, and divided among his children a very large estate. Their farms are fertile and productive, and they are leading men in their town.

I looked in the index for Walter(s). There was an Ellen Barbara Walter, who married William Smith Hutchinson & lived in Lancaster, NY. and a John Lee Walters who married a Leola Frances Allen in 1907. John Lee was "the son of _____ Walters and Sarah jane Shaw".

Posted: 8 Mar 2002 3:03AM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2002 3:09AM GMT
Surnames: Read Reed
You mentioned in your message on Marshall Co Ind gen web that there was a book called Read Genealogy.
Do you know if there is a mention of a Calvin Reed or Read born 1752 died Oct 1849 in marshall co married to a Sarah who had a son Royal Read born in 1812.

Thank you

Posted: 17 Mar 2002 3:43PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jul 2002 7:32PM GMT
Hi,

Sorry in my delay in getting back with you. I checked my Read genealogy book, and unfortunately, couldn't find a Calvin Read or a Royal Read. I also checked my notes and couldn't find either name in them.

So sorry I couldn't be of more help. Best of luck in your research,
Sally

Posted: 19 Feb 2003 11:17PM GMT
Surnames: CUSHMAN
There is a marriage index that lists Martin;s marriage to Jane Cushman Tafft as Mar. 07, 1895.

Jeff

Posted: 20 Feb 2003 12:39AM GMT
Thanks so much for the date...do you have a location and an exact source so that I can update my notes?

Thanks again, Sally

Posted: 20 Feb 2003 3:07AM GMT
Surnames: CUSHMAN
I originlly found it on a database at Family Tree Maker's Genealogy Library. I see why I could not find Martin's first marriage there. Ancestry.com has Martin's first marriage, but for some reason I couldn't find his second. It should be within the dates.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Indiana Marriages, 1845-1920
Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Indiana Marriage Records Index, 1845-1920. Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000. Original Data: Works Progress Administration. Index to Marriage Records Indiana: Indiana Works Progress Administration, 1938-1940.

Marshall County, Indiana
Marriage Records 1836-1888 Books: A1 1836-1845 B1 1845-1854 A 1854-1862 B 1862- 1868 C 1868-1874 D 1874-1878 E 1878-1883 F 1883-1888
Compiled by Ruth M. Slevin Part I Grooms Part II Brides

County: Marshall
Name: Emiline Towns
Spouse: Martin S. Reed
Marriage Date: 09 Apr 1848
Book: B1
Original Source Page: 3

--------------------------------------------

Indiana, 1851-1900 Marriage Index

About the Data

This data set contains information on approximately 292,000 individuals who were married in Indiana between 1851 and 1900. Indiana was one of only three states whose counties issued marriage applications prior to the Civil War. The first law regulating marriages in Indiana was implemented in 1788 and marriage licenses became mandatory in 1800. If an Indiana ancestor's marriage record cannot be located in Indiana, you may wish to check the Cincinnati marriage records since many couples from Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana were wed there. While statewide registration of marriages was not required until 1958, prior to 1940 it was necessary for a couple to obtain a license from the county in which the female resided.

Generally, you'll learn the following information about an individual included in this data set:

Full name
Name of spouse
Marriage date
Marriage location
Family History Library microfilm roll number where you may be able to learn more information about the marriage or simply verify the information provided here.

Martin Reed found in:
Marriage Index: Indiana, 1851-1900
Married: Mar. 07, 1895 in: Marshall, IN Gender: M
Source: County Court Records Film reference number: 1651768 - 1651771
Spouse name: Taff, Cushman Jennie Spouse gender: F

Przybyl (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2003 6:56PM GMT
Surnames: Przybyl, Jankowski, pewinski, fraszewska, Pozna ska
Hello
Can I just check if you have any links with Jankowski of Poland, Rech Sud Germany or Poznan, Poland? If so please emailme at chezp@totalise.co.uk
Cheryl

Posted: 12 Oct 2011 3:03AM GMT
Cheryl,
Are researching the Fraszewska line? If so can you please contact me as I am also researching that line.
Thank you,
Shawn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic