Search for content in message boards

Jewish Boland's

Jewish Boland's

Posted: 15 Mar 2010 11:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi. My natural mother's maiden name was "Boland" she was Jewish and from the New York City area in the 1960's. I am Jewish and have been searching for my natural family whereas the only clue I have is my mom's maiden name "Boland" and my birth place. All of the Boland's I come across are gentile, many Irish but not Jewish. I am quite happy to discover a Boland who is Jewish as it is closer to my search. Do you have any knowledge of a Boland family in New York who are Jewish? I have discovered the name Boland is English, with many Irish and other nationalities having the name as well. I want to learn as much as I can about Boland history. I never receive replies to my inquiries--I hope I don't miss an email.

Re: Jewish Boland's

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 5:22PM GMT
Surnames: Boland
Do you have any family names/lines you can share for your NYC Boland relatives?

Posted: 21 Apr 2010 11:21PM GMT
There are Jewish Bolands. Boland is an Irish name, but its also a German name derived from Poland and Bohlander.

Many believe that many German/Hessian soliders during the American Revolution were poor Jews.

Johann Boland, who was a Hessian soldier settled in Little Mountain, SC and married first a woman by the last name of Kuntz and a second time to a woman with last name Feldman.

Johann Bolands mothers maiden name in Germany was Naumann.

Anyway, there are aother documented jewish Bolands in Germany and one in Dublin, Ireland. You just need to do more research.

A large contingent of jews that immigrated to the US in the 1700s and 1800s have since assimilated into the general non jewish population. Unlike the more recent contingent that immigrated in the 1900s that is still in the process of assimilation currently and yet many that are succeeding at holding on to the culture and identity as well.

Posted: 28 Jul 2010 3:50PM GMT
Hello and thank you for your reply. I do not have any other names however, I was adopted in Queens, NY near the Long Island border. I am very light skinned, light blonde hair and blue eyes and am on the petite side. I have a German friend who swears that he feels I am much too small to be of German descent but what does he know? LOL. I suppose as a Jew, it is possible to come from just about anywhere since we are considered "wondering" as so many countries forced us to leave. I would be so, so grateful if anyone could offer any information I don't know about my mom. I always used to feel she was right around me, near me where I grew up on L.I. or in NYC both places native to me.

Posted: 28 Jul 2010 5:48PM GMT
Thanks for your information. The geneology department in NYC said there are indeed Germans w/the name Boland; however, from my research Hessian soldiers were predominantly Christian, mostly Protestant. According to one source, after the fall of the Roman Empire Hessians were converted to Christianity. The Hessians were from Tacitus & Frankish origins which were not Jewish. I am always interested in learning about the research from another, hence I do appreciate your reply.

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 2:40PM GMT
The one family I know of are currently practicing jews and their ancestors were hessian soldiers that were openly christian but of Jewish decent and and practiced in private.

The boland Im referring to married a lady by the last name of Naumann and their son married in the states to a lady with the last name Feltman. Obviously names dont confirm anything but they can help. Im aware that most soldiers were openly protestant. But I have ran into others that say they were converted and religiously christian but genetically jewish.

I realize that its hard to pin down exactly what is "jewish" because different "authorities" have a different opinion on that. But yes, most Hessian soldiers were christian...and a significant number of those were of jewish decent. One can have some jewish ancestory or genetics, but not be jewish...I guess.

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 2:56PM GMT
Its hard to track jewish decent. Example: In virginia, in the 1800s all major publications were in german and englsih. MANY small towns in Virginia and West Virginia have jewish congregations. Bluefield, Harrisonburg, Lynchburg, Roanoke, Richmond, Va (has some very old history synagogs) and many in small dieing towns in WV.

Anyway, point being, many of these peoples assimilated over time in Virginia and West Virginia..although a enough of them did not that the small congregations still thrive. Most jews that came from NY in the 1930s and 1940s are starting to assimilate quickly....and in several generations from now many wont may not identify themselves as jewish from a religious stand point, but still be proud of that part of their heritage.

I have a friend that is jewish from Lynchburg, VA and he married a jewish woman from NY. The ceremony was in Lynchburg and the womans family from NY came down to VA for their first time and had a hard time comprehending a jewish congregation out in the country...in southern Va. But after everyone had a few drinks, things loosened up :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions