Search for content in message boards

Please translate German entries

Please translate German entries

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 9:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jan 2013 8:24PM GMT
Surnames: Tanzos
I recently acquired a family birth record. An addition at the bottom in different handwriting is written in German rather than expected Hungarian. I have translated many of the words but they don't make any sense to me.

The partial brackets seen at the top of the snip begin at Maria, the child entered on the line directly above. Can anyone translate the attachment with script in German concerning children and their mother?

Thank you for any help.
Attachments:

Re: Please translate German entries

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 10:21AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2013 10:22AM GMT
What I can read:

mein 2te frau ledigen namen Ida Tangos
my second wife maiden name Ida Tangos

aus Horvath ...
from Horvath ...

Josef Tangos 14 März (March) 1912, lediger wais (illegitimate?)
Franz Tangos 15 Juli (July) 1915, lediger vais (illegitimate?)
Stefan Gros 24 August 1916
Theresia Gros 8 Oktober 1917

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 1:55PM GMT
k...

Thank you. You have filled in some of the blanks. This is the back story.

The woman named, Ida Tanzos, was the second wife to my great grandfather. He had 4 sons survive with his first wife, one of them my grandfather. When Ida married my ggrandfather, she brought 4 children with her, the 4 children in the snip. Ida then had a daughter, Maria, listed on the line above the snip, cut off.

I am trying to establish the family structure here so I can add it to my family tree. Here are my educated guesses to what the script says, all caps being what I cannot translate online:

----------------
FOM my second wife maiden name Ida Tanzos

Jozef... LELDIGEN WAIS from Horv'th-Csencs

Franz... LEDIGEN VAIS IN Horvath-Csencs

------------------

The paternity of Jozef and Franz is my question, and seems to unnamed. Are they likely to be illegitimate or could they be something else, orphans? The word WAIS/VAIS is also in the third line but spelled VAIS. I have no idea what it means--no German language training here.

Thanks.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 2:26PM GMT
Waise in German is orphan, ledigen - single, unmarried
so perhaps, unmarried orphan?

Bob Behnen

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 2:33PM GMT
ok, I see the name is Tanzos.

As your ancestor lived in Hungary, it is normal that his German is a little bit different from written German.
I think it could be:
1. lediger Waise = single orphan, but this makes most probably no sense
2. ledigerweise = before marriage/illegitimate

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 5:53PM GMT
Thank you, klausisele. Personally, the second possibility is what I suspected was the case. Yes, my great grandfather of this post was indeed for Hungary and emigrated from there around the turn of the century, maybe age 20 (?). I have not traced his second wife, the subject of this post, yet so I was leary of assuming she also came from Hungary. In addition, marriage was not always economically possible at times so that could be the case here. Are you of the same opinion as I, that it is most likely the translation says boys were born while Ida was unmarried?

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 6:12PM GMT
Yes, I think you are right. Orphans normally means that both parents are dead, so Josef and Franz would not have the name Tanzos. Further I guess Ida had a first marriage with a man named Gros? Possibly Mr. Gros was also father of Josef and Franz?

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 8:24PM GMT
Yes, Ida married Alois Gross first, then my ggrandfather. If Alois Gros was their father, wouldn't the boys have his surname after Ida married him? Also, in the attachment there is no notation above their names although there is above the names Jozef and Franz.

After this, Ida went on to marry a Weber and a Grohotolsky. To my count, I see 4 marriages in her life. So, the idea she has 2 more children is possible as well as her trying to make ends meet for her 2 Tanzos boys by marrying again. And again... What do you think?

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 8:47PM GMT
You are right, the Tanzo boys would most like got the name Gros after marriage, if Alois Gros would have been their father.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 9:10PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2013 9:10PM GMT
Thank you. I think I can now put this to rest.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions