Search for content in message boards

Schlesigen in Germany

Schlesigen in Germany

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 11:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
My ancestors were said to come from Schlesigen in Germany. I believe this town or area is now called something different or maybe they got it wrong. Does anyone have any ideas where this might be and what it is now called?

Re: Schlesigen in Germany

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 4:41PM GMT
Without more specific info, I presume that Schlesigen should read Schlesien or in English Silesia. This area is now in Poland after WWII.

It is a large region and divided into upper and lower Silesia. If you do a google search for either name, you will find ample history.

If you have more specific info on the ancestor supposedly from this area, I would encourage you to re-post the info.

Bob Behnen

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 4:49PM GMT
There are a lot of places (many in the old East Germany) spelled similarly, but not identically. It would be a pure guess as to which one, unless you have more info about the locale.

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 11:18PM GMT
I don't see my reply so I will repost and hope it is not a double.

My ancestors "Gliege" settled in a small German village called Lazinsk which is 6km south of Zagarow which is east of Posen in Poland. The following is an excerpt of a story written down by a great aunt no longer alive.

"It has been recorded that in the year 1718 fourteen German families together with the mayor at the head made their trek from Schlesigen (in Germany) to Poland and finally found this piece of Land which, after hard pioneering work, became their new home"

A Google search on Schlesigen brings up various hits of people whose families have come from there but no info on where exactly it is.

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 12:01AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jan 2013 12:03AM GMT
I assume you meant the big city of Poznan/Posen, not some of the villages named Posen. My map uses the Polish names, not the German...but you might be in this area.
Attachments:

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 12:41AM GMT
http://www.familie-gliege.de/index.php?lang=en

I presume you have contacted Martina?
She too appears to be working on the families origins.

Bob Behnen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic