Search for content in message boards

WWI Casualty Liebenguth

WWI Casualty Liebenguth

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 12:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello. Would someone be able to translate this World War I German casualty record dated 3 Jan 1915? It's the 7th one down, for Eugen Liebenguth. I accessed this record on the public library subscription and took a picture with my camera. I hope it's legal to post the picture here.

Thanks.

Mary in Omaha
Attachments:

Re: WWI Casualty Liebenguth

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 1:29AM GMT
Edited: 7 Feb 2013 1:32AM GMT
Mary,

I read:

Res(ervist) Eugen Liebenguth - Obersulzbach, Thann - schwer verw(undet)

Reservist Eugen Liebenguth of Obersulzbach, Thann - severely wounded

Obersulzbach, Thann is located in Elsass-Lothringen (Alsace-Lorraine), France

Bob Behnen

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 9:22PM GMT
Oh my, thank you. A little surprise.

My husband's 2nd cousin's great grandfather (if you can follow that, you are a true genealogist) came from Alsace-Lorraine at about age 2 in about 1872, soon after the treaty that gave it (back) to Germany. He possibly just disappears from any US records about 1914, and his wife was very vague in later years about what happened to him. She lived into her 90s. I have been considering the possibility that he was sympathetic to the German cause, and went back, although why anyone who was here from age 2 would feel that way is not something I can understand.

So now we know that this Eugen was from Obersulzbach. A next step would be to find out how many Eugen Liebenguths there were from Alsace. Not something that can be done from the comfort of the chair and the computer.

Thanks.
Mary in Omaha, NE

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 2:28AM GMT
Mary,

Actually, the records for alsace-lorraine are accessible from your computer.

What exactly are you actually looking for? Be specific, i.e. provide the names, dates of birth, parents, immigration info, etc.

The more info you provide the better chance someone will be able to help you.

Bob

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 10:55PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2013 10:56PM GMT
Marriage License of US Eugen Liebenguth
Attachments:

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 3:01PM GMT
hello marylevesque256

i have a question: there is a women Albertine Liebenguth, with the same parents, born 1875 Germany. do you know her ?

the next point is, there is a Eugen Liebenguth in the US census with a daughter Elsa. is this your's ? because the mother of Elsa deceased there is a probate curt online.

in Belfort self are no entries for Liebenguth.
http://www.archives.cg90.fr/?id=etat_civil

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 7:16PM GMT
Edited: 12 Feb 2013 7:18PM GMT
Thank you for your interest!

Yes, the previous poster contacted me off-line about Albertine. And there is a contact name. But she also had a brother, and there is a tree out there for him, and I have contacted that person, and am waiting for a reply.

Yes, Eugene is the father of Elsa, who is my cousin's grandmother. You got my interests about a probate item! Can you let me know what I have to do to see it?

I received two marriage licenses for Eugene yesterday from New York. (I am assuming they got sent before the snow started.) It shows Eugene, a widower, married a second time a year before Elsa's marriage, and was not really in her life after that point. Oh -- I just did the math. Since the casualty list was January, 1915, and Eugene got married after that, he cannot be the one on the German casualty list.

Thank you again -- I look forward to learning about the probate.

Mary Levesque (I'm Czech!)

Anna Liebenguth

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 8:47PM GMT
Anna Liebenguth - year of act 1913
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7GG-W6G
gerichtliche Testamentseröffnung = soudní potvrzení závěti
(by google translator)

August Wintzer
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F6Q7-M4X
parents given

http://www.archives.cg68.fr/Services_Actes_Civils.aspx
mulhouse
birth 21. Dec 1871 (because there is written Auguste, look of the sex! is a boy)

Re: +Anna Liebenguth

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 9:31PM GMT
I was able to see enough (before it stopped displaying) to see that Anna passed away in December of 1912. According to the document, Elsa is less than 14 years of age, and therefore her interests need protecting. But considering that Elsa was 15 for the 1910 census, which agrees with the 1900 census which says she was born in 1895, this is odd.

Thank you so much. Even though this is not a relative, I was moved by seeing this.

Re: +Anna Liebenguth

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 10:47PM GMT
page 8: First:....of New York, is an infant over the age of fourteen (14) years, to-wit of the age of seventeen (17) years on 10th day of May, 1912.

But my English is not so good, maybe a native speaker can look on this.
This was only by the way. This will bring not a location for the birth place of Eugene or Albertine Liebenguth.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic