Search for content in message boards

Peter PRIES born abt 1817 in Holstein Germany

Peter PRIES born abt 1817 in Holstein Germany

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 5:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pries
Can anyone help me with Peter and his wife Friederika?

They had at least one child, John Henry Peter Pries (1841-1906) who emmigrated from Germany to USA sometime before 1866.

I'm looking for the shipping/travel records for leaving Germany and arriving in the USA.

John Henry Peter emmigrated from the USA aboard the Sea Star of Sunderland leaving San Francisco and arrived in Sydney, Australia on 03.04.1866 on his own.

It is said... that he left a sister in the USA and that his twin brother also emmigrated to Australia. I have not been able to prove or disprove this.

Any assistance would be gratefully received as I am not able to access USA records and can not read or access German ones.

Hoping to hear from anyone :)

Re: Peter PRIES born abt 1817 in Holstein Germany

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 9:01AM GMT
Hello Bee_One!

Do you have any idea about his exact place of birth or his exact date of birth?
Where in the US did they settle?
Port of departure in Germany or port of arrival in the US could also help a lot to narrow the search.

There are some Peter Pries possibly yours but without any further information it's hard to say that's it.

Regards
Bea

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 12:34AM GMT
Hello Bea

I only have the information off John Henry Peter Pries' Australian marriage & death certificates which may not be entirley correct.

John was born 28 Jul 1841 in Kiel Holstein Germany.
His father was Peter Pries
His mother was Friederika which has a few different spellings, no maiden name.

I have come across an 1880 United States Federal Census which I can not access but when I rest my pointer on it I have found 'a' Peter Pries and Friederika who's ages and German birth could fit. They are living in Davenport, Scott, Iowa. I think a daughter may have married Marx Eckmann.

John Henry Peter was already in Australia by then (1866) so I was trying to find the above family arriving in the US to see if John HP was listed with them. If not just John HP Pries arriving in the US would do.

It's all very sketchy I know but it's all I have.

Thank you for trying

Helen
Attachments:

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 5:29PM GMT
I took a quick look at the Iowa family. Many of them are buried in the Oakdale Memorial Gardens in Davenport:
Peter http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=pr...;
Frederika http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=pr...;
There's also a number of other family members, including "Litze Pries" born 1820 http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=pr...; and Jochim A. Pries born 1823 http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=63...

I found an 1856 Iowa State Census for Pleasant Valley, Scott County which looks like Peter:
P.H. Pries, born 1818 in Germany, a farmer who came to Iowa c.1847
H.F. Pries, wife born c.1818 in Germany
H. Pries, male, born 1841 in Germany (your John Henry??)
Christina, born 1846 in Germany
Eliza born 1849 in Iowa
Agnes, born 1851 in Iowa
Mena, born 1853 in Iowa
The page following this had John (Joachim) and Sophia Pries who came over c. 1850. They had several people living with them, including Fritz Pries, born c.1816, who came over in 1847.

Ancestry has a genealogy for this family which has Peter born in 1818 in Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein.
On another website, Peter was the son of Litze Pries and Minna (unknown) and was born 05 Apr in Krempke, Holstein. Friedrica was the daughter of Johann Gottfried Henrich Conrad HERRING and Henrietta Graas. They immigrated in 1848 through New Orleans and took the Mississippi up to Davenport. http://roots-and-boughs.com/Kathy's%20Lines/herring.html

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 12:03AM GMT
Hi jimkido

It does appear to be the family. I will check out all the links you've provided, thank you :)

I've just peeked at the http://roots-and-boughs.com/Kathy's%20Lines/herring.html link and it would fit as it is said he had sister(s) living in the USA. Interestingly there aren't any children listed as having been born in Germany...

Peter Pries and Friedrica Unknown had the following children:

8. i. AGNES6 PRIES was born in 1852 in Scott Co, IA. She died on 10 Jun 1907 in Davenport, Scott Co, IA. She married Marx Eckmann on 30 Dec 1872 in
Pleasant Valley, Scott Co, IA. He was born in 1842. He died in 1950 in Davenport, Scott Co, IA.

ii. AMELIA PRIES was born about 1854.

iii. OTTO PRIES was born about 1854.

iv. PETER PRIES was born in 1861 in Pleasant Valley, Scott Co, IA. He died on 21 Dec 1890 in Davenport, Scott Co, IA. He married Friederike Beinke on 21 Feb 1886 in Cleona Twp, Scott Co, IA.

I've just had a look at some of the findagrave's and I'm getting very confused which is easy to do I know!

There is a Henry G Pries buried at Section 2 lot 99 which is where Peter and Friedreka are buried. His birth 1843 in Germany.

it does look like the Pries of Davenport Iowa are all related but how *scratching head* and my John Henry Peter Pries born 1841 Germany, died in Australia.

I suppose I was hoping for an immigration to the USA record listing his parents to solve the puzzle but I'm guessing their just isn't one.

I will continue with the links you have so helpfully given me and something might just pop up.

Thanks for all your help jimkido

Cheers
Helen

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 2:45AM GMT
Hi all

Thank you for all your help. I have now been able to rule out this family as my John Henry Peter Pries'.

They did have a son Henry a couple of years younger than my John Henry.
Their Henry is on the census records and he is buried in the same plot as his parents Peter and Friederika Pries. My John HP Pries is buried in Sydney.
Peter's probate menitions 4 daughters and 2 sons Henry and Adolph. The daughters are Christina, Eliza, Agnes and Mena.

I'm now wondering if John HP left Germany in 1867 bound for Australia via the San Francisco port without his family. That would account for him not being on any census records. Maybe his sisters immigrated to the US as adults too.

*sigh* He's a hard nut to crack!

Thanks again and happy researchng :)

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 2:45AM GMT
Hi all

Thank you for all your help. I have now been able to rule out this family as my John Henry Peter Pries'.

They did have a son Henry a couple of years younger than my John Henry.
Their Henry is on the census records and he is buried in the same plot as his parents Peter and Friederika Pries. My John HP Pries is buried in Sydney.
Peter's probate menitions 4 daughters and 2 sons Henry and Adolph. The daughters are Christina, Eliza, Agnes and Mena.

I'm now wondering if John HP left Germany in 1867 bound for Australia via the San Francisco port without his family. That would account for him not being on any census records. Maybe his sisters immigrated to the US as adults too.

*sigh* He's a hard nut to crack!

Thanks again and happy researchng :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions