Search for content in message boards

Sellers and West family, late 1800's

Sellers and West family, late 1800's

Posted: 18 Oct 2005 10:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sellers, West
Looking for information on Thomas Jefferson Sellers and his wife Susie West. Family history says he was shot and killed by his daughters' boyfried. He died 1909 and is buried at Hopeful Cem. in Mitchell Co., Ga. I can't locate him on the 1900 census. I have info. on their parents.

Re: Sellers and West family, late 1800's

Kaye Pardue (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2006 12:01AM GMT
Edited: 19 Jul 2006 8:00PM GMT
Surnames: West, Sellers
Susanna West was born on Oct 2 1858 in Baker County, GA She was married to Thomas J. Sellers on Jan 15, 1884. He was Born on Jan 23 1860. He died on Nov 27 1909.

Donice (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2006 12:25PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jul 2006 7:56PM GMT
Surnames: West
Can you tell me who her parents are? I have a Susan born about 1858 born to James Bunyan West. I know this family drifted to Baker County from Burke County.

Wanda Metcalf Mills (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2006 3:19AM GMT
Edited: 19 Jul 2006 7:53PM GMT
Donice....The very family. "Susie" Sussanah was the dau. of James Bunion West. She married Thomas Jefferson Sellers. He was the brother to William Green Sellers and Susie was the sister to Georgia West. William and Georgia were married to each other and were my hus.'s ggparents. I cannot locate Tommy and Susie on the 1900 Mitchell Co., Ga. census. But thanks to responses from my query I have their children's names. Are you a descendent of Susie's line? Would love to hear any additional info. Thanks. Wanda Metcalf Mills

Posted: 23 Apr 2006 6:30AM GMT
Surnames: Sellers
Can you identify Thomas Jefferson Sellers' parents?

In Mitchell County it would seem to me to have been most likely Wright Sellers, or maybe Simeon Thurmon Sellers, but I would like to know exactly.

I'm also interested in knowing how Susan West Sellers, Elijah Sellers' wife, was related to the Wests.

Susan handled the estate of my great grandfather Richard M. Sellars' (sic) brother George W. Sellars, in an 1864 affidavit executed in Calhoun County. In that affidavit among the things she attested was that both of George W. Sellars' parents had died in 1862. George W. Sellars was the son of Jacob Benjamin Sellers (sic) who was a brother of Elijah, Simeon Thurmon, Wright, Elizabeth Sellers Peacock wife of Alexander Peacock, Jr., and others... all children of William Sellers from Brunswick County, North Carolina, who came down to Thomas and later Baker counties, after stops in Pulaski and possibly Washington counties..

Both George W. Sellars and Jacob Benjamin Sellers died while serving in a company of the 51st Georgia Infantry Regiment which was raised in Calhoun County... Jacob Benjamin probably from "disease" shortly after joining in 1862 and George W. in late 1863 after being wounded at Funkstown, Maryland, during Lee's retreat from Gettysburg. George W. Sellars appeared in the household of Alfred Joiner in Mitchell County in 1860 census. Alfred was a distant cousin of George W. Sellars' mother Georgia Ann Joiner who was born at Camilla while it was still in Indian Lands, in 1819. Georgia Ann was a daughter of Bennett and Charity Sherrod Joiner.

Posted: 23 Apr 2006 9:34AM GMT
Surnames: Sellars, West, Harper

My great grandfather Richard M. Sellars also married a West (second marriages for both). Missouri (or Missouri... I've seen it both ways) Lester West Harper was the widow of Levi Harper, and daughter of John West of Thomas (later Grady) County. I am also interested in knowing how John West fit into the West family.

Donice (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2006 11:15AM GMT
Edited: 19 Jul 2006 7:52PM GMT
Surnames: West
John West born around 1825 had an older brother named James Bunyan West born 10/20/1820. I haven't traced James to much. I have him married to a Francis born around 1825 and show just the children I have tracked off census reports. Mary born around 1845, Louisa born around 1848, Caroline born around 1850, Frances born around 1853, Martha born around 1856, and Susan born around 1858.

John is my GGGrandfather. John and James father was Gibson born in 1797 in North Carolina.

Donice (View posts)
Posted: 15 Sep 2006 3:48PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2007 1:52AM GMT
Richard, I have a Missouri West, daughter of John West and Mary Hinson West in my family. I know she married a Sellers the 2nd time around. This Thomas/Grady County West and the Baker/Mitchell County West are both in my line. Please email me directly and I will forward what I do know. Maybe you can help me fill in some gaps.

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 8:00AM GMT
Edited: 1 Feb 2007 2:28AM GMT
Surnames: Sellers, Cook
Thomas Jefferson Sellers parents were Henry Thomas Sellers and Nancy Jane Cook. Nancy was born in Marianna, Jackson County, Fl. This family was living in Mitchell County, Ga in the late 1800. My GG Grandmother was Josephine Sellers, Thomas's sister.

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 10:56AM GMT
Edited: 1 Feb 2007 2:29AM GMT
Surnames: Sellers, Sellars, West

O.K., if I understand aright we've got Gibson West as father Of James Bunion and John West. In my earlier post I mentioned that Missouri West's name was spelled two ways but I inadvertently spelled it Missouri both times. I've also seen it spelled Missouria. Anyhow, I'm assuming that the John West who was a son of Gibson West was the father of John David West and Missouri/Missouria West. Missouri first married Levi Harper. After Levi's death, and after my great grandmother Mary Ann Haven Sellars' death, my great grandfather Richard Moyes Sellars married Missouri West Harper. There were no children by this second marriage for both, and it ended in divorce.

Richard M. Sellars' father was Jacob Benjamin Sellers, and Jacob Benjamin Sellers' father was William Sellers, who was also father (as near as I can account) of Wright Sellers, Elijah Sellers, Thomas Sellers, Elizabeth Sellers (who married Alexander Peacock, Jr.), Everett Sellers, David Ashley Sellers, and Simeon Thurmon Sellers. William's wife and mother of all of these children was Nancy Moye, who apparently died before 1830 when William first appeared in Thomas County, Georgia. William appears to have gone to Pulaski County for awhile after 1830 but was back in Thomas County for the 1840 census. The reason I say that William went to Pulaski County is because his son Jacob Benjamin Sellers married Georgia Ann Joiner there in 1838 and his daughter Elizabeth Sellers married Alexander Peacock, Jr. there in 1833. Elizabeth and Alexander Peacock, Jr. lived near William Sellers in Thomas County in 1840. In 1850 they appeared on the Thomas County census and then several months later also on the Baker County census. William Sellers did not appear on the Thomas County Census in 1850, but in the Baker County census of 1850 he resided in the same household as Elizabeth and Alexander Peacock, Jr.

Does anyone know who the father of Henry Thomas Sellers was? I'm wondering if he could have been another son of William Sellers and Nancy Moye? Henry Thomas Sellers' sons Thomas Jefferson Sellers and William Green Sellers married daughters of James Bunion West and Frances Davis, Susannah West and Georgia West, respectively.

Susan, wife of Elijah Sellers, claimed the Confederate backpay of George W. Sellers after his death in 1864. George W. was the oldest son of Jacob Benjamin Sellers, however he seems to have been born about a year before Jacob Benjamin married Georgia Ann Joiner, so he may have had a different mother.

I can't seem to find my notes on this matter right now, but someone suggested that Susan, wife of Elijah Sellers, was also a West. Is it possible that this Susan was a daughter of Gibson West... or if not can anyone suggest who she was?

I do not have a county of birth for Jacob Benjamin Sellers (b. circa 1805), just that he was born in North Carolina. His wife Nancy Moye is reputed to have been born in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. Elijah (not to be confused with his nephew Elijah, son of Everett Sellers) was reputedly born circa 1810 in Sampson County, North Carolina, as was his next older brother, Wright (sometimes written as Right Sellers or Right Cellers), circa 1812-1813. I have no place of birth for Thomas Sellers (born circa 1813). Elizabeth Sellers was born about 1817 in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. Everett Sellers was born circa 1824 in South Carolina. David Ashley Sellers was born circa 1826 and Simeon Thurmon Sellers was born circa 1827, but I have no idea of a place of birth for either of them.

Wright Sellers married Mary Ann Merritt on 5 October 1832 in Duplin County, North Carolina. Thomas Sellers married Mary Ann Kinsaul. Everett Sellers married Martha Ann (last name unknown, but she was born in Screven County, Georgia). David Ashley Sellers married Eliza Kinsaul, sister of Mary Ann Kinsaul. Mary Ann and Eliza's mother was Sarah Ann Moye who was kin to William Sellers' wife Nancy Moye, but I do not know their exact relationship.

Thomas and David Ashley Sellers settled in Alabama, though I have also seen reference to David passing through Washington County, Florida. David Ashley Sellers served as First Sergeant in Company I of the 57th Alabama Infantry regiment and died in the Confederate Hospital at Greenville, Alabama, on August 12, 1863.

Simeon Thurmon Sellers apparently moved to Mississippi at some point. I have information from one of his descendants that I have not yet assimilated.

I have been trying to put this Sellers family together from snippets of information gathered here and there for may years now. I cannot claim that my results are unimpeachable. In fact, I would be surprised if I haven't made a mistake or two here and there. By and large, though, I think it is mostly correct.

I also note that my 2-great grandparents Jacob Benjamin Sellers and Georgia Ann Joiner moved around a great bit in the upper SW Georgia area till they both died in 1862. In 1848, about the time my great grandfather Richard M. Sellars was born, they joined by letter and were dismissed by letter, the Ebenezer Baptist Church at Ellaville in Sumter, now Schley, County, Georgia. One of the first settlers of Schley County was a Richard Sellers, born in North Carolina in 1788. My great grandfather's Confederate disability discharge stated that he was born Hiawassee, Towns County, Georgia... but I believe that was an error in understanding by the physician and that he was born in the Towns District of Calhoun County, Georgia. Although he wasn't born in Sumter County, I believe that my great grandfather was named after this older Richard Sellers, and that he was probably William's brother, or at the very least the two were fairly closely related in some manner. Richard was not old enough to have been William's father. Maybe eventually someone can place this Richard and our William within the context of the Sellers family in North Carolina.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic