Search for content in message boards

Back family, Madison Co.,VA.

Back family, Madison Co.,VA.

Posted: 26 Jan 2008 2:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BACK, HUFFMAN
Would like to make contact with anyone who has researched the descendants of Joseph BACK who married Elizabeth HUFFMAN in Madison Co., VA. in 1802. I have a few clues that lead me to believe I might descend from this couple, but I can't find any listing for their children on the internet.

Re: Back family, Madison Co.,VA.

Posted: 24 Mar 2008 2:23AM GMT
Surnames: Back, Robertson, Riley, Clemons, Hounshell, Mullins, Fugate and many moret
The Back/Bach Book was written many years ago. Many researchers have been disappointed that the data has not been subsequently corrected or additions made to these volumes as researchers have requested.

Another researcher, Tilden 'Sam' Bach has since written a very well researched set of books about the Back and Robertson lines (and their related families).

I descend from Joseph and Elizabeth through their son John Back (of Breathitt Co KY) who married Catherine Robertson (my 5G Grandparents).

My husband descends from John's brother Henry who married Susannah Maggard (d/o Samuel and Rebecca Robertson Maggard)

I would love to exchange information. patriciacaudill@gmail.com is the best way to reach me.

my webpage (under construction):
http://www.breathittrootsandquilts.com-a.googlepages.com/hom...

Descendants of Joseph Bach/Back

Joseph BACK, M. Born in 1745 in Culpeler Co, VA. Joseph died in Knox Co. (later Harlan Co) Ky, on May 11, 1819; he was 74. Likely buried in the Maggard Cemetery, Partridge, KY.

From email of Tilden (Sam) Bach dated 12/6/2006
The Back/Bach book combined the family of Joseph and Elizabeth and those of Henry and Elizabeth together in doing their genealogy. Note, they had a problem explaining this because Henry and Aaron were both born in 1785. Both families had a son named John with Joseph's John born in 1774 and Henry's John born in 1776 The Back/Back book identified only one.

In 1773 when Joseph was 28, he married Elizabeth HOFFMAN, F, daughter of Nichalaus HOFFMAN, M & Barbara Elizabeth KOESTNERIN, F. married early Spring. Born in 1755 in near Swift Run Gap in Augusta Co., VA. Born on Jul 13, 1746. gravestone date. Elizabeth died in 1826; she was 71.

Elizabeth was orphaned in 1770 and became a ward of the Augusta Co. Court. Shortly thereafter she was apprenticed to Samuel Maggard.”

Elizabeth is buried in the Maggard Cemetery, in Oven Fork, Ky. She was adopted into the Maggard family when she was 15. They taught her to be a spinster.

They had the following children:
2 i. John, M (1774-1854) m Catherine Robertson
3 ii. Mary, F (1777-) m?? unk Collier
4 iii. Henry, M (1785-1871) m Susannah Maggard
5 iv. Lewis, M (1787->1860) m Elizabeth Pennington

I have much more information on descendants if needed.

Posted: 24 Mar 2008 2:24AM GMT
Surnames: Back, Robertson, Riley, Clemons, Hounshell, Mullins, Fugate and many more
The Back/Bach Book was written many years ago. Many researchers have been disappointed that the data has not been subsequently corrected or additions made to these volumes as researchers have requested.

Another researcher, Tilden 'Sam' Bach has since written a very well researched set of books about the Back and Robertson lines (and their related families).

I descend from Joseph and Elizabeth through their son John Back (of Breathitt Co KY) who married Catherine Robertson (my 5G Grandparents).

My husband descends from John's brother Henry who married Susannah Maggard (d/o Samuel and Rebecca Robertson Maggard)

I would love to exchange information. patriciacaudill@gmail.com is the best way to reach me.

my webpage (under construction):
http://www.breathittrootsandquilts.com-a.googlepages.com/hom...

Descendants of Joseph Bach/Back

Joseph BACK, M. Born in 1745 in Culpeler Co, VA. Joseph died in Knox Co. (later Harlan Co) Ky, on May 11, 1819; he was 74. Likely buried in the Maggard Cemetery, Partridge, KY.

From email of Tilden (Sam) Bach dated 12/6/2006
The Back/Bach book combined the family of Joseph and Elizabeth and those of Henry and Elizabeth together in doing their genealogy. Note, they had a problem explaining this because Henry and Aaron were both born in 1785. Both families had a son named John with Joseph's John born in 1774 and Henry's John born in 1776 The Back/Back book identified only one.

In 1773 when Joseph was 28, he married Elizabeth HOFFMAN, F, daughter of Nichalaus HOFFMAN, M & Barbara Elizabeth KOESTNERIN, F. married early Spring. Born in 1755 in near Swift Run Gap in Augusta Co., VA. Born on Jul 13, 1746. gravestone date. Elizabeth died in 1826; she was 71.

Elizabeth was orphaned in 1770 and became a ward of the Augusta Co. Court. Shortly thereafter she was apprenticed to Samuel Maggard.”

Elizabeth is buried in the Maggard Cemetery, in Oven Fork, Ky. She was adopted into the Maggard family when she was 15. They taught her to be a spinster.

They had the following children:
2 i. John, M (1774-1854) m Catherine Robertson
3 ii. Mary, F (1777-) m?? unk Collier
4 iii. Henry, M (1785-1871) m Susannah Maggard
5 iv. Lewis, M (1787->1860) m Elizabeth Pennington

I have much more information on descendants if needed.

Posted: 24 Mar 2008 12:40PM GMT
Surnames: Back Bach
Thank you for posting your response. I wanted to post my agreement with you. I am also a descendant of John & Catherine (Robinson/Robertson) Back. I had posted to another thread on this board some time back concerning the inaccuracies of the Back/Bach books and was hesitant to repeat my opinion.

Tilden "Sam" Bach's books are well-researched and full of what professional genealogists would consider "proofs." Unfortunately, because it was published in those other books, we will never be rid of the lineage that was proposed in the Back/Bach which included Herman/Harmann Bach.

I would like to add that the Back/Bach books also have lots of inaccuracies in the descedants. This is probably not solely the fault of the authors. The information for the descendants of my grandparents has so many flaws that it should only be used as a starting point. The children of my grandparents scattered into several states. There were no reunions. Many of the 50 or so grandchildren have never met. The information was given by only one person and that information came from memory and mail, not from personal acquaintance with the individuals.

Let me repeat, we are not descended from a Herman/Harman Bach of Freudenberg, not even related. He did exist but he is not our ancestor.

Posted: 24 Mar 2008 2:00PM GMT
Surnames: Back, Hounshell, Riley, Caudill, Adams, etc
Karen and other researchers -

I live in Breathitt Co Ky, where Dr Wilgus Back lived. I have not seen the catechism, but Tiden's book "Our Bach Family Ancestral Heritage- From Thuringia, Germany to Quicksand, KY" has photocopies of pages from the catechism. Other researchers I know, have seen the original.

Much of the data in this catechism was the starting point for Sam's research. The book he published, is the result of his MANY years of documenting and expanding on the data in the catechism. (Originally owned by Johann Christian Bach -son of the great composer Johann Sebastian Bach). I personally hope we may someday get good high quality scans made, from the owners, the catechism is VERY fragile.

Early Back researchers, including Dr Wilgus Back, always proclaimed that we were descended from Johann Sebastian Bach's family (not directly from his line, our ancestor was a cousin of the great composer). Our Thuringia ancestors were accomplished musicians though, skilled in instrument making. There is much data on the Thuringia ancestry in Tilden's book, anyone can email me for his email address, I believe he still may have some copies available.

Later the researchers who wrote the Back/Bach books, we believe erred in the parentage of Henry and Susannah Maggard Back and his brother John and Catherine Back and tied these lines into another line of Bach families living in Virginia (they may have been cousins-I'm not sure).

I have a copy of the new Bach book an have studied it for about a year. I really admire "Sam" and all the many years of work he did, the miles he travelled, the courthouses he searched....... He is an amazing gentleman and accomplished genealogist.

Posted: 24 Mar 2008 2:16PM GMT
Surnames: Back Bach
I purchased Sam's first book soon after it became available. I have to say that I had studied it for about two years before I was able to accept the fact that I did not have an ancestor named Harman Bach from Freudenberg. It was like losing a relative, complete with a grieving period of sorts. But logic tells me that Sam is right.

And what a wonderful lineage! I feel such pride in knowing (after many years of being told NO) that we are descended from the same stock as Johann Sebastian Bach. My son is musically talented but it skipped my generation. Because Sam knew of the dangers of claiming "Famous Ancestors," he was very careful and has proof to back up what he has written. I have never met Sam but I have great respect for his methods.

Perhaps such an important artifact as "The Catechism" which is the basis of Sam's proof would be of interest to someone with access to grants etc to pay for a careful, scientific study of this treasure. I'm thinking it should be someone working on a master's thesis, etc. The information handwritten into this book needs to be properly preserved.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic