Search for content in message boards

Is George Martin Husband of Susannah North Son of Mayflower Passenger Christopher Martin?

Is George Martin Husband of Susannah North Son of Mayflower Passenger Christopher Martin?

Posted: 23 Sep 2010 11:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anybody have any solid evidence to confirm or deny this? I can trace my lineage with reasonable certainty to George Martin (1618-1686) and his first wife Hannah Green (1624-1644) through their daughter Hannah (Martin) Worthen (1643-1730).

I've run across speculation that George Martin is the son of Mayflower passenger Christopher Martin but the Mayflower Society doesn't recognize any living descendants. Also, George Martin would've only been a toddler when the Mayflower sailed so it doesn't make sense to me why he would've been left behind in England.

Can anyone help?

Re: Is George Martin Husband of Susannah North Son of Mayflower Passenger Christopher Martin?

Posted: 24 Sep 2010 4:39PM GMT
Surnames: MARTIN
There is no evidence that George Martin is the son of Christopher Martin. David L. Greene speculated that he MAY have been born in Knodshall, Suffolk, England, circa 1618 [TAG 58:193-204]. Ask to see the evidence should anyone claim that he is a son of Christopher.

Re: Is George Martin Husband of Susannah North Son of Mayflower Passenger Christopher Martin?

Posted: 6 Oct 2010 3:28AM GMT
Hi, I've been doing some research lately... I am descended from Susannah and George Martin through Hanna's sister, Ester.
Christopher Martin was married in England before his voyage to a first wife and had children. The son that traveled with him and his second wife on the Mayflower I believe was a stepson and older. They left their own toddler son with family in England. The practice at the time of the Pilgrims was to keep a child with the mother until about 8 and then have them live with another family for training. This would help bring up proper children and prevent them from being spoiled. A Puritan practice i believe. So,it might not be so far fetched to believe they would leave a young child behind and protected in England. Christopher Martin was not necessarily immigrating because of just religious reasons and had money and influence of some sort. He more than likely had children with his first wife. Both George and Christopher were from the Hampshire England area. Christopher would have been 48 when George s born. George would have been 2 when they left on the mayflower. I have not found the solid proof of the connection between Christopher Martin and George Martin.

Posted: 10 Jan 2011 4:59PM GMT
My name is Jan Corley from Peterborough, Ontario, Canada and am a direct descendant of George Martin and Susannah North. I would love to meet up with new relatives.
Jan
I can be emailed directly at jcorley1@hotmail.com

Posted: 6 Feb 2011 4:19PM GMT
We have had the family story passed down over time about a direct relationship with Christopher Martin, but since he and his wife died when they arrived, it is difficult to prove with any certainty. Does anyone else have a family story or Bible that would confirm or deny this fact?

George Martin had a son named John Martin, He had a son named Stephen, and Stephen had Jirah Martin. Jirah had a son by the name of Samuel and Samuel begat Phoebe Martin who married into the King family in Wisconsin.

This story has been told and passed down in our family over the generations, but we have no actual physical proof...so if someone else can offer something to connect George Martin with Christopher Martin it would be most helpful.

Posted: 18 May 2011 2:21AM GMT
Surnames: Martin, King, Pope, Weed, Fladers, Bacon, Young, Harriman, Hackett
I am very interested in this line of quesioning. I have traced my line back to Jirah Martin via his daughter Hannah who married William King. As for your Samuel Wilber King. I have he married 1st Mehitabl Bacon, their third child Phebe married Wilson E King s/o James and Hannah s/o James and Betsey s/o James and Deliverence- I'm trying to connect my William King to this line.

Now the online info on Jirah, I have he's s/o Stephen Martin and Patience Pope s/o John Martin and Jane Flanders s/o John Martin and Mary Weed s/o George Martin and Susannah North. If I have any of this incorrect, I'd like to make the correction.

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 10:03AM GMT
Hey there!

I'm also a descendant of George and Susannah, by the looks of my research, and what I've seen is that George was NOT the son of Christopher Martin.

The information I've found says that Christopher and his wife, Mary, only had one son named Nathaniel, and she had a son named Solomon from a previous marriage, who came with them on the Mayflower.

As of writing this, I haven't found any information on who George Martin's actual parents are.

Regards,
Kaleigh A. Mitchell

Posted: 24 Aug 2011 1:10AM GMT
george martin came over on the original mayflower.

Posted: 20 Dec 2011 10:03AM GMT
I'm a decedent of the two. Any info about them?

-Krista Martin

Posted: 15 Mar 2012 1:00PM GMT
Surnames: Alicia
Im a decendent of Geroge Martin and Susanna North. They are my 10th great grandparents threw there son John Martin his son Samuel,Ephraim,Johnathan,Benjamin,Abner,Remebrance,Henry,Warren is my great grandfather his son is my grandfather Barry W. Martin

per page

Find a board about a specific topic