Search for content in message boards

The Gorbals

The Gorbals

Posted: 17 Jan 2005 11:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Neild/Nield/Daley McAuley
I have just found my grandfather aged 10 living in Glasgow in 1891. Prior to this I only had him on the 1881 in Bristol. He is with his widdowed Mother and another brother and a sister. His name is George Neild and his Mother is Margaret (nee Daley) I can go back luckily as far as 1831 to his grandparents marriage in Dundee. So now its the Scottish trail. Can anyone tell me what the Gorbals was like in the 1890's and if there are any sites that may show old photo's.The family were in either Cavan or Gorvan St.(not a good image) Thanks Ann

Re: The Gorbals

Anne (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2005 7:26PM GMT
Hi Ann,

Type in Gorbals, Glasgow, Photographs to Google (or other search engine) and you'll be able to pick and choose from a few sites.

Anne

Posted: 17 Jan 2005 11:32PM GMT
Surnames: Neild/Nield/Daley/McAuley
Thanks Anne, found some photographs really interesting sites also. Regards Ann

Re: The Gorbals,

Posted: 18 Jan 2005 2:37PM GMT
Edited: 14 Dec 2005 1:21PM GMT
Hi there

Posted: 18 Jan 2005 2:41PM GMT
Hi there,

Sorry, my browser crashed which is why the last post looks strange!!

The mitchell library has some good images online at www.mitchelllibrary.org. if you look at the area search, there are loads of images for the Gorbals.

Clare

Posted: 18 Jan 2005 6:46PM GMT
Thanks Claire, will check that out, I live in Lancashire so it isn't easy getting to Glasgow so all this help has been great.
ann

Posted: 18 Jan 2005 7:09PM GMT
Hi there,

You are very welcome. I lived in Glasgow until a few months ago, and still work there, so any general information about the area you need, just give me a shout and I will see what I can do.

Cheers

Clare

Re: The Gorbals * [name"CROWE"]

Dee (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2005 9:41PM GMT
Greetings Anne
Haven,t got any thing on Gorbals but am keen on my Scottish search . My people were in Coatbridge and Cambuslang [Glasgow] One of them [my grandfather married a girl from Edinburgh . Trying to connect to the name "CROWE" which apparently is connected often to the name "HUME" Any help much appreciated What can you tell me about the Crowe,s?? Have you come across any good resources for Glasgow area Greatfully D

Posted: 30 Jan 2005 1:10PM GMT
Hello Dee, How I wish I could help or even point you in the right direction, sadly all I have is a marriage certificate for Stephen Crowe (my husbands grandfather) when he married in 1902. He doesn't seem to have been around on any census no birth certificate, nothing. We live in Lancashire and can follow him around the town untill he died in 1944. The name Hume hasn't cropped up so far but we search for something most weeks, all we have are family stories and these are thin on the ground. So Sorry Ann

D.Fairley (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 2005 8:04AM GMT
Surnames: Gorbal
Hello Ann
Thank you for your response. It was just a chance. I will still follow with interest any information posted on Glasgow. [especially Coatsbridge &Cambuslang] but also Gorbals because of my strong interest in the social conditions Housing. Irish emigrants mining or? Dee
per page

Find a board about a specific topic