Search for content in message boards

BENWAY Family Oswego NY

BENWAY Family Oswego NY

Posted: 25 Sep 2013 12:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Benway, Collier
Hi Everyone
I'm doing research into Jenny BENWAY who married a Charles COLLIER in NY. c 1866

1860 Census NY
Angus 32
Angeline 25
Jennett (could that be Jennie)
Angus
Joseph
Amelia (She married Adelbert ORVIS 1887??)
John

I cannot find Jenny/Jennie/Jennett on the 1860 Census at all.
Her birth date was given as the 9th of May, 1851. This is from her burial in 1942 in Oconto Falls with husband Charles COLLIER.

I'm trying to find out firstly if it is possible to find a marriage for Jenny and Charles Collier. I have checked the Fultonhistory site, looked through the newspapers but nothing on Angus BENWAY'S death or Angelines death, I've had all the census's checked for the whole family who originate it seems from Canada. Jenny's Grandparents (I think) being Anthony BENWAY b Canada and Paulina/Pauline Benway.

Paulina was living in Schroeppel on the 1880 Census with son Angus. I have checked Findagrave and cannot see any of the above named BENWAY'S there. Any help in getting this family together would be great. Kind regards and many thanks Dianna from Australia

Re: BENWAY Family Oswego NY

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 11:13PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2013 11:12PM GMT
1855 granby, Oswego
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Angus Benway M 21 born Canada here for 10 yrs
Wife Angeline Benway F 19 " " " " " '
Child Julia Benway U 12 " " " " " "
Child Mary Benway U 2 born oswego
Sister Justine Pigeon F 29 born Canada here 9 yrs
Sister Mary Benway F 16 born nys
Sister Ordelia Bennet F 17 born Canada here 6 yrs
Child Angus Benway U 2 born Oswego
source www.familysearch.org
catholic, I am sure. search church records. may have been baptized in Canada, marriage to Charles collier may have been in Canada due to scarcity of traveling priests

www.nnyln.net historic newspapers Oswego county 1927 the fulton patriot
died- Angus Benway, formerly of Oswego,
at Watertown, April 21st. He
was a brother of Miss Amelia Benway
of Fulton
1875 Palermo Oswego born in Canada
Angus Benway M 44
Wife Julia Benway F 21
Son William H Benway M 1
Son John Benway M 0
more than one angus benway, not trying to confuse u!
another obit says
Mr. Benway was born in 1864. a son of angus and Julia benway, lived in Oswego until 1930.

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 11:35PM GMT
Hi Aurina many thanks for your reply, I will have a look at the nnyln.net historic paper to see what is said about Angus, who died in 1827.

I don't know if I have two different Benway families here or not as I cannot find My Jennie/Jennet Benway on the 1855 Census, she is on the 1860 I have not looked at the 1865 NY Census either as Family Search is not working for me today.

Anyway trying to sort these Benway's out is a bit of a headache. So it does say that Angus was born in Canada that's interesting. Jennie was born in Carthage on May 9, 1851 and married Charles Collier in 1867 in Antwerp, Jefferson County, not far from Oswego is it. Thanks for your time, this is a hard one let me tell you. Regards and many thanks Dianna

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 12:51AM GMT
1880Pensaukee, Oconto, Wisconsin
Charles Collier 37 farmer born new York parents born ireland
Jennie Collier 28
Frank Collier 11 born ny
Owen Collier 9 born Illinois married at the Methodist parish-maybe they werent catholic?
Dilly Collier 6 born wisc
Charles W. Collier 4
Minnie Collier 11m

familysearch has franks marriage record-he states he was born in Jefferson county, so his parents prob wed between there and Canada someplace. abt 1868
Name: Dillie M Collier
Event Type: Birth
Event Date: 17 May 1874
Event Place: Oconto, Wisconsin
Affiliate Film Number: 0322
Record Number: DX0660

the 1900 census has them wed abt 1866 and says jennies parents from Canada eng-so look Ontario as opposed to quebec.

for fun http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wioconto/
Oconto County Reporter
Feb 12, 1887
Personal and Local

The friends of Chas. Collier and family will be sorry to that on Saturday afternoon last, their home and all its contents was destroyed by fire. Mr. Collier was up north in the woods, and at the time of the fire, Mrs. C. was some miles away, only the children being at home, hence the total loss. This leaves the family quite destitute, their winter supplies being taken, and no insurance. The fire caught from a defective stovepipe. A good many families can draw a valuable moral from this, viz: A few cents invested in good stovepipe, or better yet, in chimney’s of brick, will save a good many hundred cents on the dollar besides much pain and perhaps the loss of life.

On Saturday afternoon Apr. 17th, a boy named Zink Primley, in the employ of Charles Collier, who lives on the North Branch of the Pensaukee river, together with a son of Mr. Collier, about 11 years of age, took their departure for parts unknown, taking with them Mr. C’s best horse which they both rode together. A warrant was obtained from Justice John Major and placed in the hands of Sheriff McGoff, who started in pursuit of the gentlemen. The horse was found in the vascinity of Duck Creek where the boys had sold it for thirty five dollars. They took the train on Wednesday for Watertown. Sherriff McGoff started Thursday from Green Bay on their track. Mr. Collier who was at the Florence Iron Mine has been notified and can find his horse safe in Green Bay. We learn that the boy Primley has been in the Industrial School at Waukesha and was released for some cause before he had been there a year. He is about 18
Oconto County Reporter
May 1, 1880

George (adopted daughter) born: 1875 + Frank Collier married: December 20, 1890 in Oconto County, Wisconsin Generation 2 Elmer George born: August 1864 in Wisconsin (cemetery 1863
www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wioconto/george.htm

17. Reports of marriages in old newspapers.
Wilson and Miss Dillie Collier were married Sunday. Congratulations are extended. Oconto County Reporter Nov 14, 1890 Married Edwin H. Bacon eldest son of E. H. Bacon of the city
www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wioconto/newsmarriages1890.htm

20. Reports of marriages in old newspapers.
Owen Collier to Miss Addie Fuller. Rev. Upson performed the ceremony. Their many friends wish them joy. ** A very quiet wedding took place in our midst Wednesday night, the
www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wioconto/newsmarriages1895.htm

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 1:14AM GMT
Hi
Thanks so much for all of that, yes maybe the next generation of Colliers were not Catholic, I know Charle's parents Patrick and Bridget were. Charles and Jenny were married in Antwerp, Jefferson Co. I just found this from their obituaries, it states that both Charles and Jenny were born in Carthage and married in Antwerp in c1866/67. I will go through everything you have kindly sent and see what my next move is. I'm hoping I can find death record or obituary for the Angus Benway who was born c 1834, he was supposedly in civil war and deserted? Not sure if that is him but he did join up in NY. So he wouldn't have a pension record (doubt It). So the search continues for clues on Jen Benway's parents. Many many thanks Dianna

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 8:26PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2013 9:38PM GMT
perhaps u already know, benway may have been benoit.-
http://www.acadian.org/acadname.html
are any siblings listed for jennie in her obit? sometimes it is easier to track the sib than the subject

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 9:52PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2013 10:09PM GMT

the Julia of the 1855 census is too old to be the child of angus -angeline-maybe angus sister? and Julia too old to be jennet unless the age wrong. however, mary could be jennet.the age is correct. do some research on names of catholic kids-marys all over the place, and they often use a different or their middle name when they get older.
1860 volney
Angus Beneway 32
Angline Beneway 25
Jenett Beneway 8
Angus Beneway 6
Joseph Beneway 4
Analisa Beneway 1
John Beneway 4/12

Oswego county does not have an 1865 census at family search.

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 11:39PM GMT
Hi
Yes Julia would be too old wouldn't she theres not an exact age mentioned though is there?? Soooo confusing. On Jen's obit it mentions a half sister in Clayton NY no name (they don't make it easy do they). I'm tracking down now one Amelia ORVIS as I thought that Analisa may have been Amelia.
Analisa Beneway 1 on 1860 Census. The Amelia Orvis died in 1958 aged 98 b in Fulton May 3 1860 daughter of Mr and Mrs ANGUS Benway and married Adelbert Orvis in 1887.

I will see where that leads. Yes thanks for the information on the 1865 Census. But that leads me to another question, where is this Amelia on the 1875 Census?? It's just all over the place, it looks like it is too different families. Angus and Angeline (they disappear) and Angus and Julia La Rock. Then I found on the 1880 Census in Glen Falls Warren NY A. Benway b 1814 (no name just initial A) and spouse Angeline. For heavens sake, I will have to sort all these Angus's out wont I. Yes the name Benoit has popped up, but ANGUS seems Scottish to me. Thanks so much for all your help, it's really appreciated. Regards Dianna

Posted: 3 Oct 2013 12:10AM GMT
the palladium times Oswego sept 4 1956 obit at fultonhistory
John J. Benway, 83, a native of Oswego, died Saturday morning in the Jefferson County hospital |at Watertown where he had been; a patient since July 31. Death was attributed to a heart attack.
-for years, "Mr. Benway had been a patient for a. long period in various nursing homes in
Watertown before he was admitted to the hospital. Surviving him are four children, Mrs. Roy E. (Jennie) j Prescott and Mrs. Lee (Margaret) Morris, Watertown, Mrs. Theodore (Amelia M.) Lash, j
Gouverneur, until recently off Watertown, and Angus Benway,' Massena; grandchildren and
great-grandchildren; a sister, Mrs. Amelia Orvis, Fulton; and. a brother, Harry Benway, Watertown.
He was a brother of William H or M. Benway, who died at his home in Gouverneur in August, 1945.
Mr. Benway was born in this, city, Nov. 21, 1872, a son of the late Angus and Julia LaRock
Benway. He had been a laborer,carpenter and farmer, but had not worked in years.
In early life, he married Miss Clementine S. Boscoe of Gouverneur in Castorland. For years
they resided in Gouverneur, later moving to Black River. They came to Watertown about 1941.
Mrs. Benway died in the Mercy hospital April 3, 1944. The funeral was Monday afternoon
at 2 at the Northam & Fox Funeral home, / Watertown. Burial was in Riverside cemetery,
Gouverneur.

Harrison V. Benway, 73, of
231 West Main street died at
6:20 a.m. Sunday in Mercy
hospital where he had etc number of times.
The funeral will be Tuesday
at 10 a.m. at the Simpson
funeral home with Rev. John
J.Kelly, pastor of the First
Methodist church, officiating.
Burial will be in North Watertown
cemetery.etc Mr. Benway was born Feb.
19,1890, in Gouverneur, a son
of Angus and Julia Benway.etc feb 1964

Posted: 3 Oct 2013 12:22AM GMT
Thanks Aurina at least now I know who the children of Angus and Julia LaRock are, don't need to pursue Amelia Orvis now. Not much I can do really, the only chance I have of finding a connection to Jen is by finding an obit for the Angus and Angeline couple.

Wether they died in the US or Canada I don't know. But this seems like two different families to me now. Strange though Jen's obit mentions a half sister in Clayton, so one of her parents were remarried. So frustrating isn't it. Thanks so much though. Regards Dianna
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions