Search for content in message boards

Confederate Soldiers

Confederate Soldiers

Frances Woodruff (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2002 10:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of writing a book listing all the men who were in the Confederate Forces from Winston County and I need your help so that I don't miss anyone.
I need name, dob,dod, cemetery and location, unit, rank, is grave marked? does it show confederate service? Any information on spouse, children, living descendants.
Was he injured , how and where?
I want to be as complete on each man as I can. I already have over a thousand names but I'm sure there are more.
Thanks, you can email me directly at FRWoodruff@aol.com

Re: Confederate Soldiers

Posted: 20 Feb 2002 6:16PM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2002 10:12PM GMT
You need to find a copy of the centennial history of Winston County Ms. the library in Lousiville, Ms did have a copy.

Posted: 20 Feb 2002 6:42PM GMT
Edited: 2 Sep 2006 7:19PM GMT
Francis, My relative, Richard D. Nance is buried in Center Ridge Methodist Church Cemetery and has Co. I40 Miss Inf. CSA on the headstone. Does this look military to you? I don't understand it.

Posted: 21 Feb 2002 2:31PM GMT
Edited: 29 Mar 2002 10:08PM GMT
Yes, the notation on the headstone refers to your ancestor's service in the Civil War: 40th Infantry Regiment, Company I; According to the National Park Services' Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, he is listed as Renard D. Nance
Regiment Name 40 Mississippi Infantry.
Side Confederate
Company I
Soldier's Rank_In Private
Soldier's Rank_Out Private

40th Infantry Regiment was formed during the early summer of 1862 after several attempts to organize a unit. Some of the men were from Attala County. It was active in the conflicts at Iuka and Corinth, then, assigned to J.C. Moore's and L. Hebert's Brigade, Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana, was captured at Vicksburg in July, 1863. After being exchanged the regiment served in the Army of Tennessee under the command of Generals Baldwin and Featherston. It participated in the Atlanta Campaign, Hood's winter operations in Tennessee, and the North Carolina Campaign. Its casualties at Iuka were 10 killed, 39 wounded, and 21 missing of the 314 engaged, and during the siege at Vicksburg there were 12 killed and 38 wounded. The unit reported 10 killed, 57 wounded, and 27 missing at Peach Tree Creek, totalled 64 effectives in December, 1864, and surrendered on April 26, 1865. The field officers were Colonels Wallace B. Colbert and George P. Wallace, Lieutenant Colonels Josiah A.P. Campbell and James R. Childress, and Majors W.M. Gibbons and Enoch McDonald.

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 2:52PM GMT
Still working on the book had to put it on the back burner the last few years but ready to get at it again. Email address has changed to frwoodruff1944@yahoo.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions