Search for content in message boards

Uploading updated tree from Family Tree Maker software to Ancestry.com

Uploading updated tree from Family Tree Maker software to Ancestry.com

Posted: 1 Feb 2010 9:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know now to upload an updated tree from Family Tree Maker software to Ancestry.com. I previously uploaded a tree to Ancestry.com, but now have obtained much new information. When I try to upload it, Ancestry.com says I have to save it to a NEW tree. I don't want to save it to a new tree; I want to update the tree I already have in Ancestry.com. It seems like I should be able to do that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Uploading updated tree from Family Tree Maker software to Ancestry.com

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 3:14AM GMT
You're right, you should be able to, but you can't update an existing tree on Ancestry, you can only create new ones. I'm sure others will chime in with more lengthy explanations but that's it in a nutshell. Sorry.

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 4:45AM GMT
That is the thing. You cannot update a member tree. You can only update a new one and replace the old tree. It does not and never will work the way FTM or another genealogy program works because it is not a genealogy program as is FTM, PAF, etc. It is mostly a display program. You can enter and display what you have learned, you can link sources, you can upload and display photos and/or other documents but you cannot simply update your tree. That means when you replace your existing tree with a new one, you will need to reinvite anyone who was previously invited and you will also have to reupload photos and relink any census documents and/or other sources that you found on Ancestry. You will also get all the old hints you thought you had gotten rid of. In short, replacing a tree means all kinds of trouble. The best thing to do is to add your new data one person and/or one document or photo at a time. At this time, there is no option to upload a PDF document or photo. If you are talking about updating a gedcom to Rootsweb that will then show up on Ancestry, you can upload a new tree that will replace the old tree. These of course will not have photos, documents, etc.

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 4:56AM GMT
mbmjlm speaks the rule on this matter.

I would like to add that if you do choose to upload an entirely new tree, please trash the old one.

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 5:01AM GMT
Yes, please do get rid of the old one. If you are uploading a new member tree or if you are uploading a new Rootsweb tree and/or World Ancestry Tree, get rid of the old one. I see so many Rootsweb and/are old World Ancestry Trees that are mostly duplicates of old ones-just uploaded at a different date, sometimes days apart with just a little new data added. It certainly makes for lots of clutter. Actually, and someone correct me if I am wrong, to my knowledge it is impossibly to add a World Ancestry Tree through Ancestry.com. I believe teis can still be done through Rootsweb but not through Ancestry as was formerly done.

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 8:09AM GMT
A forest of trees on Ancestry and Rootsweb.

A tree uploaded to Rootsweb can be "viewed" from the Ancestry site. It can't be uploaded on the Ancestry site, it can't be updated on the Ancestry site, just "viewed". A Rootsweb WCT is an Ancestry World Tree. Here is the link to find where it's buried: http://www.ancestry.com/trees/awt/main.aspx.

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 12:44PM GMT
Boy do I have a lot to learn about this ancestry stuff. I think I'll upload my new tree and delete the old one.

Thanks for all your suggestions and assistance.

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 3:23PM GMT
You will learn as you continue on with Ancestry.com that changes come quickly. Old things are gone, new things are here then new things are gone in favor of newer things. What Ancestry giveth, Ancestry taketh away. You can do both things if you want to-that is-create a new member tree and also post your gedcom through Rootsweb which then becomes a World Ancestry Tree-the one Ancestry for some reason-tries to hide.

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 4:13PM GMT
I don't understand the difference between the Ancestry.com tree and the World Ancestry Tree.

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 5:29PM GMT
btc1951,

Getting the lingo right is half the battle. What you are calling a World Ancestry Tree is an Ancestry World Tree, or AWT. You'll see a good deal of arcronyms on the boards. Study up!

This is a link to another thread that discusses the trees, hang in to the bitter end, you should get to the answer to your question.

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.rw.worldconnect/14135/mb.a...

per page

Find a board about a specific topic