Search for content in message boards

Barnhill

Posted: 29 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Jul 2001 2:06PM GMT
Surnames: Barnhill, Goodson, Strother, Griffin, Smithson, Smith, Greathouse, Sasser, Pugh, McMillan, Parker, Rowell
John Jason "Jackson" Barnhill and wife Emiline "Emily" Goodson is listed in the 1850 Pike Co AL Census. I am a Gt.Granddaughter of his son Owen Crafton Barnhill and wife Cora Strother. Cora Strother was a daughter of William Strother and wife Lucinda Smithson. Cora was born in Crawford Co GA. Owen Barnhill's sister Belinda or Melinda (I've seen both ways) married Hardy Griffin. Trying to find other descendants and I want to solve a mystery. Some family members say Lucinda Smithson, who I think was a daughter of Benjamin Smithson and Hannah Greathouse, was a daughter of a Creek Indian Chief known as Bearcatcher or John Smith on 1832 Creek Indian Roll. Other connected families I know about are Adkison, Fuqua, Sasser, Rowell, McMillan, Parker.

Barnhill

Larry Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Barnhill
Belinda Barnhill is my gggrandmother. She and Hardy Griffin had a daughter named Louisa who maried William Henry Davis in Pike Co, Al. What do yo have that shows John Jackson and Emiline Goodson Barnhill as her parents? I never found anything. Thanks--Larry Duncan, Albany, GA.

Belinda Barnhill

Posted: 28 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BARNHILL, GRIFFIN, GOODSON
I have Belinda's name on a list of brothers and sisters of Owen Crafton Barnhill who married Cora Strother.I received the list from my Aunt Mattie Barnhill Trawick (husband Barney Trawick, Allentown Santa Rosa Co Fl) thirty four years ago. She and another Aunt Etheral Gilley (husband Clive Gilley), who are all dead now, had worked on the family in order to apply for Creek Indian money. I have talked with quite a lot of family over years and they agree the list is correct. Owen's son Augustus May Barnhill was my Grandfather. I think there is a connection between the Griffin family and the Strother family as well.

patrick Higgins

Lynda Higgins (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Higgins
I am looking for my father his name is Patrick higgins, He lived in Hammond Indiana, in 1964 1965 He worked in a bar called the cave. He should be about 55 or 57. He has a son named donald Higgins. I am in desperate need of medical records of Patrick Higgins, He may now reside in Pike County. He may be working for Sears, or has in the past.

Barnhill Griffin Strother Pike Co AL

Surnames: GRIFFIN, BARNHILL, STROTHER, GOODSON, ADKISON, SMITHSON, FUQUA
I wanted to make a correction for Larry and any other descendants that Hardy Griffin married Malinda Barnhill not Belinda as in Larry's message. Malinda was a sister of my Owen Crafton Barnhill. Her parents were John Jason "Jackson" Barnhill and Emiline "Emily" Goodson who are listed in the 1850 Census of Pike Co Alabama. I have been told by a member of the Adkison family that they are buried at Eufaula Alabama in the city cemetery. The graves were said to have slabs but no stones. There is a picture of Emiline Goodson and another one of Susan Steel,one of Malinda's sisters. Owen Crafton Barnhill was my Gt.Grandfather and he married Korah/Cora Strother daughter of William Strother and wife Lucinda Smithson who are listed in the Crawford County Georgia 1850 Census. My Grandfather was Augustus May Barnhill who married Celia Fuqua in Brewton, Escambia County Alabama. Celia's mother was Lottie Cincinnati Adkison daughter of Britton Adkison.Lottie was the wife of Reubin Fuqua son of Absolem and Grandson of Randolph Fuqua.

Griffin - Strother connection

James R. Harmon (View posts)
Surnames: Griffin, Strother
Yes, my gg-grandparents James B. Griffin and Sarah Strother married in Bullock Co., AL, on 4 March 1862. James B. Griffin was in the 1860 Barbour census, then in the 1870 Bullock; Sarah Strother's mother (also named Sarah Strother) line was in 1860 Pike Co., then in 1870 Bullock; all without moving, as far as I know.

Re: Belinda Barnhill

Posted: 4 Jul 2001 11:24PM GMT
Surnames: Gilley, Barnhill
hi, I am looking for family information. Gilley, and Barnhill.
My grandmother Etheral (Barnhill) Gilley was married to Thomas Clive Gilley. Etheral Gilley also had her son James Gilley with her when they were doing the work to find out more about the Indians. We are indian, I have talk to my Uncle Jim about it, and he said they did not change anything about Lucinda. I do not know who started the rumer, but it is not nice. Etheral Gilley's parents and grandparents told her about the stories of her indian side of the family.

Posted: 4 Jul 2001 11:25PM GMT
Surnames: Gilley, Barnhill
hi, I am looking for family information. Gilley, and Barnhill.
My grandmother Etheral (Barnhill) Gilley was married to Thomas Clive Gilley. Etheral Gilley also had her son James Gilley with her when they were doing the work to find out more about the Indians. We are indian, I have talk to my Uncle Jim about it, and he said they did not change anything about Lucinda. I do not know who started the rumer, but it is not nice. Etheral Gilley's parents and grandparents told her about the stories of her indian side of the family. e-mail me lnessmith@hotmail.com

Posted: 5 Jul 2001 2:35PM GMT
Surnames: STROTHER, BARNHILL, BUNDRICK, TRAWICK, GILLEY, ROWELL, ELLIOTT, ADKISON
In "Wiregrass Roots" Vol 14, issue 2 October 1998 (published by Southeast Alabama Genealogical & Historical Society P.O.Box 246 Dothan AL 36302-0246) there is an article "The Bundrick Family of the Wiregrass and its Ancestry", contributed by Cynthia Nason pages 29-35. It is In her own words: a story by Lena Viola Bundrick Snowden, a pioneer woman midwife who went out west and returned to Alabama. It is about the Bundricks and Strothers. Mrs. Lena Viola Snowden was 90 when she died probably June 1965 in Covington Co AL. The article includes her obituary published in the Troy Messenger and tells that her grandmother was an Indian Princess, daughter of a Creek Indian Chief. Much more in article. I am afraid the story goes back lots further than my Aunt Etheral Gilley, Lynne, and I never said she was in any way responsible. I loved her very much. However, someone did cross out Smithson in the Crawford Co GA book and write Smith over it because I have a copy. I always belief that there is some Indian somehow in this family because I knew them and they all looked like and said they were Indian. How it goes I can't say. Don't get upset- we may find the answer yet. Read the article in the "Wiregrass Roots" if you can. I am certain Lena was a remarkable woman and certainly was not trying to misslead us. She probably told what was told to her. I think we all want the truth. All us Barnhill, Adkison, Strother, Bundrick, Rowell, Trawick, Gilley, Elliott,and many more family descendents. Celia Jones

Posted: 3 Apr 2002 6:26PM GMT
Edited: 1 Aug 2003 5:35AM GMT
Surnames: Gilley
Hi my Name is Gloria Gilley Morrisey from Baker Fl. Like you I am tryin to find out more about the Gilley family and how much indian I have in my background.I have some names of Gilley's and would like to share with you.my grandfather is Limon Gilley,ggreatgrandfather was Marvin Gilley,gggreatgrandfather Jeremiah Gilley..My e-mail is
BonBon_Pebbs@hotmail.com..Thank you for your time ,Hope to hear from you..Gloria Gilley Morrisey
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions