Search for content in message boards

Cemetery at the former Chinchuba Institute for the Deaf

Cemetery at the former Chinchuba Institute for the Deaf

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 10:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Warheit
Hello Researchers,

I have an ancestor (the sister of my gg grandmother) who was a nun at the Chinchuba Institute which operated in Covington from 1890-1934. She died while a teacher there, and was buried in a cemetery located near the school's chapel.
Would anyone be able to go there and take a picture of her grave for me? I live in Illinois.
Her name was Sister Mary Armella, and she lived 1875- 1923. Her real name was Anna Margarethe Warheit.
I would appreciate any help with this project, or any information about this cemetery.

Nicole Miller

Re: Cemetery at the former Chinchuba Institute for the Deaf

Posted: 18 Aug 2012 12:21AM GMT
Nicole,

If you don't have any luck here, you can try FindaGrave. Create an online memorial for her in the cemetery, then click on REQUEST A PHOTO. You'll have to create an account, but it's 100% free.

Good luck,

Barbara

Posted: 18 Aug 2012 6:23PM GMT
Hi Barbara,

Thanks for that idea. I am struggling with the fact that the grave may not be visible anymore. After the Institute moved in the 1930's, the land was sold and developed. It's unclear whether the graves in question still exist, or whether they have been built over by housing developments and possibly the Mandeville post office. Staff at the St. Tammany Parish Library are working with me to try to figure it out. I thought that posting it here might cause any locals who know anything to speak up.

Nicole

Posted: 18 Aug 2012 6:40PM GMT
Hmmmm. . . There's a Chinchuba Cemetery on Find a Grave, and there are burials listed prior to that time period. The first one I checked was for a Sgt. Paul Berlier who died in 1913, and there's a photo of his headstone.

www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&GScid=67219&am...;

Posted: 18 Aug 2012 6:58PM GMT
Yes, I did see that. However, I'm not sure that that is the same place where they buried the Sisters of Notre Dame who ran the Institute. They were supposed to be buried behind their convent on the school grounds. Also, the Institute had a lot of land--370 acres. And the Chinchuba name is taken from a nearby bayou. That cemetery you saw on findagrave could be an area cemetery, not one that was affiliated with the school. Sigh. I wish this was easier!

Nicole

Posted: 18 Aug 2012 7:25PM GMT
My father-in-law lived in Chinchuba in the 40s, but he's in his 80s and I'm not sure he'd remember anything about the area.

Try contacting the St. Tammany Parish Library, genealogy section. The librarian there has a lot of information at her fingertips; she may be able to help. http://www.sttammany.lib.la.us/genealogy.html

If that doesn't work, try the St. Tammany Genealogical Society. Someone there nay be able to help.
http://stgsgenealogy.org/

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 4:07AM GMT
If this is a CATHOLIC religious order that ran a school, either the archdiocese in New Orleans or the religious order mother house should have some type of records where the nuns were buried, and I can guarantee that no one just paved over a school with Notre Dame nuns buried in the back. It is possible that the nuns were reburied in another of the catholic cemeteries. This would take some research, but is very much easier since this was a catholic school, with Catholic nuns.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 2:07PM GMT
I already checked with the diocesan archives in N.O., and they don't have records for this. But your idea to check with the archives for the School Sisters of Notre Dame is a good one--I'll try that! I agree that the Catholics were always good record keepers. The reference dept. at the public library in St. Tammany parish have worked with me on this, but even they could not find a specific account in old newspapers about exactly what happened to the land after it was sold for development.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 8:21PM GMT
And if I remember correctly, the motherhouse for that order was somewhere in the Midwest.

Or there could have been the situation where the land was sold, the graves remain with markers, but as time went on the markers were removed or destroyed. I am finding that some states, because of low populations 100 years ago, had somewhat lax standards, because no one could see future development eating up the land in the rural area.

Another idea, if you have any idea of who your relative was with in the convent, is to try to contact those families. I have had to do something like that, and I got very good clues and results.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions