Search for content in message boards

Finding out the cause of death, 2001

Finding out the cause of death, 2001

Posted: 23 Oct 2013 2:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
An uncle of a friend died in Hessen in 2001.

We were able to get a copy of the death register from the city, and learned that the uncle died at the local hospital/nursing home.

My friend would like to know the cause of death of her uncle; her mother wants to know as this is her brother.

Can anyone recommend how this information might be obtained, or is this an impossible task?

Thanks much,

John

Re: Finding out the cause of death, 2001

Posted: 24 Oct 2013 4:07PM GMT
Hessen's a big place....what town? Did you write the nursing home?

Posted: 25 Oct 2013 1:35PM GMT
what information doesit actually give on the certificate?

Posted: 25 Oct 2013 2:24PM GMT
Hi ~

It was in the city of Rüsselsheim. I wrote to the hospital/nursing home and they replied that they are not allowed under German regulations to release the information.

I wonder if it might be possible to go to courts and request the information. Perhaps it will need to be done by a certain type of relative, such as a child, sibling, etc.

Thanks for any leads,

John

Posted: 25 Oct 2013 2:29PM GMT
Hi ~

The death record that the city provided lists his name, date and location of birth, when he died (date, time), the address of where he died and that his family status was unknown.

I found from MapQuest that the address was the city hospital/nursing home, but that it was sold to a private company in 2004 and is now more a nursing home/clinic/hospital, seemingly in that order of importance.

I emailed them and they responded quite quickly that they were not allowed to divulge the cause of death to a third party.

Thanks for your help!

John

Posted: 25 Oct 2013 2:41PM GMT
Looking at your original message, I would suggest that if "her" mother wants to know, than this is the person who should apply for the information as she is closest to the person who has died. That might work. I know from having similar problems myself that the information is only divulged to immediate kin.

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 2:18PM GMT
I agree with BA. Privacy laws are very strict. The mother should write, and provide any "proof" she might have that she's next-of-kin.

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 4:48PM GMT
You are right our german privacy law does not allowing to provide those kind of information to third people. Only persons who are staying in a direct line with death people are getting these information, they are free to search for everyone if the death was 30 years or more ago.

So a child, wife or his parents will be getting the reason of his death for now.

Regards
Andrea

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 1:36AM GMT
Danke, Andrea ~

Who would the children contact to find out the cause of death of their father?

John

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 7:18AM GMT
The Standesamt of that City.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions