Search for content in message boards

Eleanor Sleigh Batchlor

Eleanor Sleigh Batchlor

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 12:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello, my name is Michelle Blackwell. My maternal grandmother is Eleanor Batchlor (Sleigh) b. 07/01/1930 in Decatur, Michigan. I am looking for any and all information about her and any of her ancestors. I'm relatively new to genealogical studies and am looking for a good push in the right direction.

Re: Eleanor Sleigh Batchlor

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 2:51AM GMT
This looks like a good start:

1940 United States Federal Census

Name: Eleanor Sly
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1931
Race: White
Birthplace: Michigan
Marital Status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Home in 1940: Decatur, Van Buren, Michigan
View Map
Street: E Sherwood
House Number: 215
Inferred Residence in 1935: Decatur, Van Buren, Michigan
Residence in 1935: Same Place
Sheet Number: 61B
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Luther Sly 55
Viola Sly 43
Luther Sly 14
Evelyn Sly 1
Eleanor Sly 9
Martin Sly 6
James Sly 4

Source Citation: Year: 1940; Census Place: Decatur, Van Buren, Michigan; Roll: T627_1822; Page: 61B; Enumeration District: 80-14.

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. 1940 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.
Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1940. T627, 4,643 rolls.

Description:
The 1940 United States Federal Census is the largest census released to date and the most recent census available for public access. The census gives us a glimpse into the lives of Americans in 1940, with details about a household’s occupants that include birthplaces, occupations, education, citizenship, and income.

© 2012, The Generations Network, Inc.
<< Return to Results Screen

You should be able to go back through the earlier censuses to find more and more info.

Good luck!

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 2:54AM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2012 3:01AM GMT
If you don't have a subscription to Ancestry, you can search free records, including the census, at www.familysearch.org

It looks like the family used the Sly spelling

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 3:30AM GMT
Here is her Mother's obituary

Saint Joseph Herald Press Page 10
February 24, 1955 (Thursday)

Mrs. Viola D. Sly

Decatur, Feb. 24 - Mrs. Viola D. Sly, 58, died at 10:45 AM Wednesday in Osteopathic Hospital, South Bend Indiana.
She was born August 3, 1896 in Nicholsville, near Decatur, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bertie Lewis. She married Luther Sly, October 8, 1924. He died August 3, 1947.
Survivors include six children, Bertie Shugars, a son by a previous marriage, of Dowagiac, Luther Sly of South Bend, Martin Sly with the US Air Force in Germany, James Edward Sly of Dowagiac, Mrs. Evelyn Heckman of Pittsburg, Kan., and Mrs. Evelyn Batchelor of Dowagiac.
Also surviving are 13 grandchildren; a brother Ora Lewis of Edmore, and four sisters, Mrs. Ethel Hazzard of Decatur, Mrs. Leona Webster of Niles, Mrs. Luella Sylvester of Kalamazoo, and Mrs. Stella Thomas of Schoolcraft.
Funeral services will be held at 2 PM Saturday at Howell & Sons funeral home. Burial will be in Decatur.

This obit gives you some good information about marriage and death dates, but it is important to verify them with actual documents. For example, you can search Michigan marriages at www.familysearch.org

You can find gravestones at www.findagrave.org I did find one for Luther sr. there.

I found the obit at www.newspaperarchive.com It is a subscription site, but you can search and view two articles a day for free.

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 3:39AM GMT
Here is a very thorough memorial page on Eleanor's brother Luther. I found it by googling "luther sly" decatur

http://www.lifestorynet.com/memories/75074/guest_book

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 12:09PM GMT
Thank you so much! All of this info has allowed me to go back even further.

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 12:10PM GMT
Thank you for this obituary. I'm finding out more than I had originally expected. This info is much appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions