Search for content in message boards

Irene Marie McGuire Manley d. October 25, 1995, formerly of Scranton PA

Irene Marie McGuire Manley d. October 25, 1995, formerly of Scranton PA

Posted: 19 Aug 2002 2:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McGuire Manley
I am looking for more information on Irene MCGUIRE MANLEY, who I am pretty sure was the daughter of Thomas MCGUIRE & Mary MCHALE, though the obiituary I have for her says otherwise. I've learned to be very cautious whenever I get an obituary from the Scranton Times, as more often than not, they have inaccuracies in them.

At any rate, here is what I got from the Thursday, Oct. 26, 1995 edition of the Scranton Times:

IRENE MARIE MCGUIRE MANLEY
October 25, 1995

Irene Marie MCGUIRE MANLEY, 95, formerly of North Scranton, died Wednesday at Mercy Hospital following an illness. Her husband, Gerald F. Manley, died in February 1957.

Born Feb. 20, 1900, in Scranton, daughter fo the late John and Sarah Lalley McGuire [I firmly believe the names of her parents are Thomas & Mary McHale McGuire], she was a lifelong resident of Scranton before being a guest of the Holiday Manor Nursing Facility. She was a graduate of Scranton Technical High School. Before retiring, she was employed by Lackawanna County in the voters registration office and formerly worked as an office clerk for the Maryknoll, Clark's Summit, and as a sales clerk for Lewis and Reilly Shoe Store. She was a member of Holy Rosary Church and the Ancient Order of Hibernians.

Surviving are two sons, Thomas, Alexandria VA, and Leo, Claymont Del.; 11 grandchildren; great-grandchildren, and nieces and nephews.

She was preceded in death by a son, Gerald, who died in 1984, and two brothers. Clarence and Joseph.

The funeral will be Saturday at 8:30 a.m. from the Jennings-Calvey Funeral Home, 415 W. Market St., with Mass at 9 in Holy Rosary Church. Interment, Cathedral Cemetery.

Friends may call Friday, 7 to 9 p.m.

----------

The SCRANTON TIMES -- Sunday, October 29, 1995

MANLEY, IRENE MARIE MCGUIRE, formerly of North Scranton, Saturday from the Jennings-Calvey Funeral Home, 415 W. Market St., with Mass in Holy Rosary Church, celebrated by Monsignor Joseph P. Kelly, pastor. Pallbearers: Michael J., James P., Patrick, James and Major Thomas F. II Manley, grandsons, John Kenneth, Thomas F. III and Jacob Manley, Jason and David Morelli, great-grandsons, and Gilbert Bunner. Interment, Cathedral Cemetery.

-----

Please note, the reason I believe Thomas MCGUIRE & Mary MCHALE are Irene's parents is because on two different Scranton censuses (1910 & 1920) listings for the following family and the names of her brothers, Joseph and Clarence, were listed too and they match exactly what was in the obituary. My Irene's age is also a match with what is in the obituary.

Re: Irene Marie McGuire Manley d. October 25, 1995, formerly of Scranton PA

crickett melvin (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2003 2:49AM GMT
Surnames: manley
my grandmothers parents were john and sarah lalley manley are they of any relationship to you my grandmother was mary manley morgan.

Jerry Manley (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2005 1:35AM GMT
Irene Manley was my maternal grandmother. I am a relative of John and Sarah Manley - they were my great grand parents. My father, Thomas F. Manley, was born in Scranton to their youngest, Gerald Manley. If you have any further information or are looking to find other related Manley's please let me know... I would be happy to gather additional info from my brothers and sister and share.

Jamie O'Brien (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2005 12:52PM GMT
Surnames: McGuire, Burke, McHale, Manley, Farrell, McAndrew, Moran, Davitt, Gillespie, Cavanaugh, Westgate
I'm related to the McGuire side of Irene's McGuire Manley's family. Her father, Thomas McGuire (m. to Mary McHale), is my great-grandfather Michael McGuire's brother. Their parents, my great-great-grandparents are Patrick and Ellen (aka Helen) McIntyre McGuire. Other children of Patrick & Ellen McIntyre McGuire besides Michael and Thomas are:

John McGuire (m. to Mary Ann Gillespie)
Patrick McGuire, Jr. (never married)
Denis McGuire (m. to Clara Westgate)
Mary Ellen McGuire Davitt (m. to Patrick Davitt)
Catherine ("Katie") McGuire Moran (m. to Patrick Moran)
Nora McGuire Cavanaugh (m. to Thomas Cavanaugh)

Irene is a first-cousin to my grandfather Harold (aka Michael Jr.) McGuire. My grandfather's mother, Theresa Burke, was married to Michael McGuire, Sr.

crickettmelvin (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2005 4:06PM GMT
i am trying to unravel my family mystery of the manley family and the further i get the more cofused i am. i know my great grandparents were john and sarah lalley manleyjr and my granparents were david and mary manley morgan in scranton pa.

Posted: 11 Oct 2005 6:01PM GMT
I may be able to help out a bit. I remember growing up to stories about the Morgan's from my great aunt Annie (Anne Manley Kimble - I believe she was second youngest to my great grandfather, John and Sarah Manley of Scranton). I also have a friend and family members that have done quite a bit of research... let me see what I can provide in a few weeks.

Posted: 11 Oct 2005 11:15PM GMT
thank you very much. my father was david and mary manley morgan son ed. my father from the time i started asking questions about my parentage told me his family was deceased and he was an orphan raised by an aunt in Scranton PA obviously he told me lies to keep from finding the family. my fathjer was stationed at Sondestrom Air Force Base in Greeenlandr in Neuforland when his father died in 1962. i was very much ali\ve back then. i was told he had a brother william who lived in williamsport pa and he was married to a lady named helen who i never spoke till her husband my uncle passesd away i had two cousins billy and robert by that uncle but i have never tal;ked tgo them or even know of anybodys whererabout till maureen contacted me. i know now why my childhood was rough getting some of the facts that i have gotten lately. i guess iam marys only granddaughter from the information i have gotten. are any of my grandmothers immediate family still living. i live near Fort Bragg, N.C. thank you for your time.

Posted: 12 Oct 2005 1:41PM GMT
Please bear with me as I am very new to this geneology thing - but am very interested in studying and researching more - just my time is limited. Here is some info that I extracted from another posting - is this your branch of the family tree?:
..4 John Manley, Jr. b: 1866 Scranton ,PA d: 07 Feb 1938 Scranton ,PA
...+Sarah Lally b: 1868 Scranton ,PA d: 30 Jan 1939 Scranton ,PA
........5 Mary A. Manley b: Sep 1887 Scranton ,PA d: 1978 aka: Mamie Manley
..........+David Morgan b: Abt. 1887 d: Unknown
.................6 Ann Marie Morgan
....................+Chapman
.................6 William Morgan
.................6 Edward Morgan b: 24 Nov 1911 Scranton ,PA

I do recall my great aunt Ann talking about "raising Donnie and Bobbie Chapman"... and I can get in touch with Bob Chapman, who remained close to my father Thomas Manley, until Dad's passing.... hope some of this helps.
- Jerry

Posted: 13 Oct 2005 5:00PM GMT
yes that is my family my father was ed the brother of mary ann and william i have my grandfathers death notice david mrgan who died in 1962 and my fathers birth certificate listing his parents as David morgan and mary manley. mary was 23 when she married david in 1907 and after my fathers birth in 1911 they divorced .my father always told mr he was raised in an orphange but in later years he let it slip that he was raised by an aunt and his brother william was married to a lady by the name of helen and they had two boys. if you can get in touch with the family i would appreciate. my home phone is 910-436-7771 i work a lot but my middle son is home or you can send me a email at crickett melvin@yahoo.com. i would love to hear from them.

Posted: 20 Jan 2006 4:52AM GMT
Surnames: McGuire Haggerty Gallagher
Are you sure that Patrick McGuire jr. never married? If it is my gGrandfather (and I'm not 100% certain because I just started), he married a MaryAnn Gallagher, and they only had one living offspring, my grandmother Catherine (McGuire) "Kitty" Haggerty. She married Robert Haggerty and had five children. They moved to Detroit around the start of WWII.

Maybe it isn't, but I've been reading through your posts, and it seems that it has to be him. I've just started researching, so i have no documentaion, but my Patrick McGuire adopted one of his nieces (believed to be one of his brother's daughters.) Her name is Margaret (Peggy). She still lives in Scranton. I am going top contact her asap and see if you and I are related:)

Anne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions