Search for content in message boards

Difficult 1861 lookup request:

Difficult 1861 lookup request:

Posted: 27 Jan 2005 5:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
I know the 1861 isn't well-indexed, nor easy to read, based on prior posts here... However, recent breakthroughs, and the chance for a serious confirmation mean I have to ask:
I am looking for the family of Joseph and Jane Hyams in the 1861 census. In 1871, they were in Mile End at 15 Dunk, with son Zadoc. In 1851, I believe THIS family to be them:
HO107/1543 f 649 (No.8 Eastmans Court, Spitalfields, Whitechapel)
I need the 1861 to confirm it, but I cannot find anything to guide locating them. I believe that they were not yet at Dunk ST., based on information I received in my last lookup request. However, the name 'Zadock Hyams' is rather rare, so finding a 'Zadock Hyams' with some of the children of that 1851 family would certainly concrete my suspicions. I do not know about the Eastmans court address in spitalfields.
I am from New Jersey, USA, and don't know all the neighborhoods of Manhattan, much less London. I know Spitalfields and WHitechapel and Mile End are very close, and realize it's tough to find MY Hyams family in that tightly packed area, but I appeal to whoever here CAN do a lookup like this, and loves a challenge... I know that a Joseph and Jane Hyams are Zadock's parent's from his marriage and death certificates from Brooklyn, NY. I know that my Joseph and Jane married in 1837 from FreeBMD and the GRO certificate... From the Great Synagogue records, I know that on 5 Nov 1841, they had a daughter, Maria, and from the 1871 and 1881 censuses, by comparisons, I know that he had a brother, Samuel. from Doreen Berger's Jewish Victorian, I know that Jane died in 1878. However, tying the 1851 Census Hyams family to MY Hyams family can only be done by bridging that gap with the 1861. Zadock was born in Nov 1851, based on his 1900 US census return, and a comparison of his 1871 UK census and his 1872 Immigration ship manifest provide evidence backing this up. That birthdate means he wouldn't be on the 1851, just the 1861 and 1871, as by Jan 1872, he was in Brooklyn.
I am VERY confident of those solid conclusions I have, but if I could bridge 1851 and 1871 with 1861, then I might be able to confidently tie in a whole second branch of my tree, recently found by a woman who contacted me after seeing my prior posts here.
The last thing I can offer is that in America, at least, Zadock, using the similar sounds of 'dock' and 'dick' adopted the name Richard, which, meaning 'Just,' holds about the same meaning as Zadock, or 'righteousness/charity.' (so if you find a Joseph and Jane in 1861 with a Richard, that could well be the right family).
Finally, I thank anyone who tries their skill at this problem, and if I've missed anything, please ask so I can provide any other clues to help.

Re: Difficult 1861 lookup request:

brenda (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2005 11:08AM GMT
I have checked Eastman Ct (Wentworth St), they are not listed, goes from no's 1-15
BUT at
10 Eastman Ct were the following which might tie in with another family member

RG266 FOLIO 130-132
Lazarus Hyams 73 clothes dealer born Aldgate
Hannah wife 72 born St Geo in East
Maria daur 40 born Aldgate.

The 1861, according to S & N genealogy, isn't complete till the end of January, parts are very badly written.

May I suggest if you don't have any success try again at the beginning of Feb when the 1861 index might just be complete.

B

Posted: 28 Jan 2005 4:45AM GMT
Thank you so much for this. It isn't the family I need, but, the profile is reasonable enough to add Lazarus to my list of people who might be Joseph's uncle. He would be about 21 at the time of Joseph's birth. Joseph's father is listed in the only document I have, as Hyam Hyams, and Lazarus and Hyam are both hebrew names, so i doubt they are the same person. On the OTHER hand, Lazarus returned to life, and Hyam is 'Ch'aim', or life in hebrew... It's so hard to tell. once i can unite this family via censuses, then i can focuse on moving further back. thank you again, brenda.

brenda (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2005 7:28AM GMT
The only Hyam Hyams on the 1861 index, so far is aged 18 and living with father Mark aged 42 and mother Elizabeth in
St Giles, St Giles in the fields along with a host of siblings.
The reason I sent the previous info was because of the address, Eastman Court, the same as you requested, this made me think there was a possibility they were related.
If you get back to me direct a few weeks hence I will look at the 1861 index for you, it is supposed to be complete by the end of Jan, but who knows!

B

Posted: 7 Mar 2005 5:03PM GMT
Hi Brenda, i waited till march to reply again, but as you suggested, i'mgetting back to you.. is the 1861 index done, and if so, can you try again for the Hyams family I've detailed earlier in this message thread? I thank you very much for all your assistance. if you are unsuccessful, i will try a whoel new message thread on this board, to appeal to more people for help.

-R Simpson

garkins (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2005 5:28PM GMT
Please email me the full names and the area you were looking for, I am sorry but having dealt with a lot of other peoples messages my poor brain does not remember them all, plus I destroy the papers after I email them forwards

regards

G
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions