Search for content in message boards

Cochran's from Pittsburg, PA area before1800

Cochran's from Pittsburg, PA area before1800

Posted: 18 Jun 2000 9:24PM GMT
Edited: 28 May 2002 3:03AM GMT
Need help with William Cochran b. ca 1722, moved from Cecil Co., MD ca 1742 to Fort Pitt area. Wife is unknown, siblings are Alexander,Mary Elizabeth and Jacob. Alexander was my great4grandfather b. ca 1765 near Pittrsburg. William was sub lieutenant during the Rev War from Wewstmoreland Co. which later would become Washington Co. Alexander md. Sarah Adams in 1787 by the Rev. John McMillan and lived in Chartiers Creek area near Hickory. Alexander and Sarah had the following siblings; Alyzannah, Katherine, William(my great3grandfather) Jacob, Rebecca, Jane, John Clark, Alexander, James, Brice, Mary Ann, and Matilda. This family migrated to Guernsey Co., OH about 1801 where they died. I would like to prove all of this data as most is word of mouth passed on by ancestors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know the wherteabouts of the Mcmillan Papers last known presence was in 1955. Thanks to all.
Regards
Tom Fowler

Cochrans - Washington Co., PA - c.1800

Brent Benjamin (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2000 5:11PM GMT
I am researching a different line of Cochrans in Washington County, PA. My line was in Donegal Twp., in early-1800, descending from James and Margaret Lowery Cochran. I show the testating of an estate for Alexander Cochran, of Cecil County, Maryland, in the 1780's in Washington County, PA. The will was dated 11/24/1783, and was submitted to probate on 03/04/1785. Executors were Alexander and William Cochran. Beneficiaries are wife (no name), 3 sons (John, Alexander and William), 3 daughters (Mary Alison, Sarah Willison and Jean Roberts Loton (the oldest)), and grandchildren (Jean Roberts Loton and Sarah Young (alias Cochran)). Since my apparently unrelated line appears to have moved to Muskingum and Morgan Counties, Ohio, I have some research of the area. I may have some Cochran info from Guernsey County. If this is helpful, please contact me at bdbenjamin@juno.com . Good luck! Brent

Cochran's from Pittsburg, PA in 1700's

Posted: 16 Aug 2000 10:32PM GMT
Hi Brent,
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Have been quite busy this summer and I developed a nice virus on my computer which has created many headaches. I have a new email address also. My AOL address is being shared with another Tom Fowler and we have been getting each others email. Not sure how many messages have been lost. I now have cable ATT, my email is bartfowler@home.com. I am continuing to keep AOL but will use ATT. I have heard about the Alexander Cochran Will of 1783 and am interested in learning more about this family. Do you have any additional info on the Guernsey Co., OH Cochrans. I know my ancestor Alexander and Sarah Hannah Adams Cochran with family migrated to Guernsey Co. about 1801. They were from the Chartiers area of Washington Co., PA, Alexanders father being William b. ca 1722 d.1803. We think William's father may have been Alexander but not sure. If you have any data that may help me I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!
Tom
Posted: 3 Dec 2000 9:21AM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2002 6:12PM GMT
Tom. See my input 12/2/00
PA,OH,IN,KS Cochran - quick
rundown of my descendants.
Interesting, immigrant settled
in Westmoreland Co., PA late
1700, d.1803 there.
Possible connections from family
fanning out, his children: Mary
and Samuel Cochran. My John Jr
went on to Warren Co., OH.

Connection or reply, e-mail:
r t b a c 5 5 0 @ j u n o . c o m

Richard Cochrane
(my grandfather added the "e")

Cochran,s From PA

Posted: 3 Dec 2000 8:20PM GMT
Hi Richard,
Thanks for your querrie on the Cochran's. I don't believe we have a direct connection but funnier things have happened. My Cochran's descend from William b.ca 1740 near Fort Pitt(Pittsburg) Westmoreland Co., PA, then to Alexander b.ca 1760 near Ft. Pitt, md. 1787 Hannah Adams, then to William b. July, 1793, md. Martha Henerson in Guernsey Co., OH March 1818; next first son John b.1818 md. Elizabeth Snider 1845, migrated to California with family in 1857. There many Cochran's in PA, OH, IL however most of my direct line were in PA and OH. My mother has told me that her grandmother, who came across the plains in 1857, often told her of the odd pronunciation of the family name was COHORN. Also, in the early days the name was spelled with an e at the end.
That's about all I know about my ancestors, unfortunatly most of the family remained in the Guernsey Co., OH area. Let me know if this info helps at all. Keep in touch.
Tom Fowler

Re: Cochrans - Washington Co., PA - c.1800

Posted: 14 Feb 2004 6:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Mar 2004 5:26PM GMT
Surnames: Cochran
I was reading old messages and saw the one you wrote which included a Margaret Lowery Cochran. My great-grand-father was Michael Lowery Cochran who married Susan Estella Harkleroad in the late 1880's in Penn. Have you heard of Margaret before?

Posted: 14 Feb 2004 8:33PM GMT
Edited: 9 Dec 2004 7:06AM GMT
Surnames: Cochran, Lowrey
Was Michael from Armstrong Co. PA? There were some Cochrans there with middle names of Lowrey. However, I've not found anything to connect them to my line which includes Margaret Lowrey wife of James Cochran.

Posted: 15 Feb 2004 11:42PM GMT
Surnames: Cochran, Lowery
Yes, he was. I figured that middle name of Lowery must be someone's maiden name...I believe that his father's name was Mathew. Ring any bells, anyone? I have more information on my software but need to transfer it to my new computer.

Posted: 15 Feb 2004 11:45PM GMT
I should say that fairly recently I discovered that this Michael Lowery Cochran and his wife Susan Estella Harkleroad moved from PA to Cadiz, Harrison, Ohio. I found an obit from my great-grandmother, Susan, which stated that she lived in Cadiz for 30 years before moving to Stark County, OH.

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 12:11AM GMT
Edited: 9 Dec 2004 7:06AM GMT
When was Michael Cochran in Harrison County, Ohio? I couldn't find him on the census, but may not be looking at the right year.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions