Search for content in message boards

Thomas and William Carr

Thomas and William Carr

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 2:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Do you have any information about your Thomas's brother William (G or C) who married Tabitha Collins and whose son is Silas Addison Clinton Carr. Thomas's daughter Elizabeth married a Martin and their daughter Nancy Martha Martin married Silas. Hence, Silas married the daughter of his cousin Elizabeth. Thanks so much

Re: Thomas and William Carr

Posted: 3 Nov 2011 9:44PM GMT

Hi Clairice,

I was delighted to get your email regarding the Carr's. I have been researching the Carr's for about 20 years and I am still learning about them. I have seen very little online about this family, so your post was exciting.

I do have some comments about your post and also some additional info.

First I will take your post and comment:
"Do you have any information about your Thomas' brother William (G or C) who married Tabitha Collins?" I would like to know your source for Collins. I have info on both Thomas and William. I have never seen the "G" or "C" used as William's middle initial. Yes he was married to Tabitha, however, her last name seems to be Hodges rather than Collins. I am basing this on the fact that James Hodges sold land to William Carr before he, James, moved to S. C. James' will is filed there. In his will he names Tabby with a small inheritance. At a later time there is this reference to a court order: 1778 - 1800 HxCoP18/485 William Carr is listed as the Plaintiff against Wm Glass and Sarah Hodges his wife, Robert Shaw and Patsey Hodges his wife, Hailey Shaw and Rebecca Hodges his wife, Jesse Hodges, Joseph Hodges, Chainey Hodges and James Hodges. The sheriff of Pittsylvania Co. is commanded to bring in Jesse Hodges to answer the complainants bill. None of the defendants are residents of Halifax Co. The complaint (I believe) is that Tabitha (Tabby) Hodges, William Carr's wife is being protected by her husband in the case of James Hodges will. The complaint is against her brothers and sisters.
"You say that Silas Addison Clinton Carr is the son of William and Tabitha." William and Tabitha did have a son named Silas. I have him listed only as Silas. There is a deed where William sells his son Silas a Saw and Griss Mill. I think that the "Silas Addison Clinton Carr" may have come in a later generation. I have a Silas Addison Carr son of Dewitt Clinton and Alcey Jane Wooley, who was b. 16 July 1870 in Galena Mo. d. 27 Mar. 1945 in Mo and buried in the Carney Cemetery, MO. The Census of 1860 shows Dewitt living with his family in MO.
"You say that Thomas' daughter Elizabeth married a Austin Martin and their daughter Nancy Martha Martin married Silas Austin Martin signed the marriage contract for his daughter Nancy and Silas Carr to be married. HxCoMB1/96. Yes, Silas married the Nancy Martha Martin,daughter of his cousin Elizabeth.

I have the following dates that might or might not help:

William Carr b. 1752 d. bef. Sept 1833 married Tabitha. They had six children: Jane b. 1780, Thomas B. b. 1783, Mary b. 1790, William H. b. 1794, Silas b. 1801 and Sarah b. 1821.

Silas (son of William and Tabitha) b. 17 Jan 1801, d. 13 May 1863 married 1st Nancy Martin b. 2 Mar 1801, d. Abt 1836. They had 8 children: Oliver Horace Perry (OHP) b. 1819, Christina b. 1820, Elysabeth b. 1822,
William Andrew b. 1824, Francis Marion b. 1827, Juliann b. 1829, Mary Jane b. 1831, and Melissa DeKalb b. 1833.

Dewitt Clinton Carr b. 26 Jun 1838 Henry Co, TN, d. 16 July 1887 Cape Fair, MO, married and Alcey Jane Wooley b. 16 May 1842 Stone Co MO, d. 28 Sept 1922 Stone Co, MO. They had 7 children.

If you have additional information I would like to share.

Julia Carr

Re: Thomas and William Carr

Posted: 5 Nov 2011 1:41PM GMT
Hi Julia - Thank you so much for your reply. We had come to an almost 'dead
end' with William Carr. I think we picked up the C from someone in the
Nance family (also a descendant of Silas. The G came from a couple of
Ancestry.com trees where they call him William Garland and connect him to an
earlier William. Their dates don't work for us.

Silas has been listed some times as Silas Addison and sometimes as Silas
Clinton and according to a web listing called "Ancestors of Alta Lucille
Martin" the two names were simply put together. The same, according to that
cite, was done with Nancy Martha Martin because family listings used one
middle name and her marriage certificate listed another.

There is a monument to Silas and his family in the cemetery at Cape Fair MO.
We first encountered it last summer when we went there looking for family.
We have since seen it on a web page and on Ancestry.com. We have also
communicated with the Nance family who were instrumental in helping erect
it.

As for the Collins surname for Tabitha, we weren't certain of that, so are
really interested in your Hodges.

I suppose you've seen all the family trees that connect William to an
earlier William that makes the senior one 80 years old when he was born. Do
you have any information about Thomas and William's father? The Nances
think his name is John.

My husband Dale is descended from Silas Carr. His daughter Veturia married
George Haynes, who was the grandfather of Dale's mother, Callie Myrtle
Haynes Brady.

Did you know there is a Carr reunion in Cape Fair every Fourth of July. The
Nances told us about that and we're thinking of making the trip next year.
We live in Montana.

I really hope we can keep in touch and continue sharing information.
Clairice Brady
e-mail greenalley@bresnan.net. Thanks so much Julia.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions