Search for content in message boards

Jonathan and Mary Tatum of North Carolina

Jonathan and Mary Tatum of North Carolina

Posted: 30 Mar 2002 9:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Aug 2003 3:48AM GMT
I would like to see if there is anyone out there who are related to Jonathan and Mary Tatum of North Carolina.

Jonathan Tatum was born about 1780 in Virginia and Mary was born about 1790 in North Carolina. I believe they had the following children: Permelia, Anne Matilda, Nathaniel, Minvera, Verlinder Belle, Elbridge Gary, Seth, Mary Jane, Eliza Caroline, and Camilla TATUM.

All my sources are from Census records, land records, marriage records, and what others have put together.

If you have any more for me to go on please email me at friends1995@yahoo.com

Matthew D. friend
An American Portrait - The Friend Family
http://www.geocities.com/friends1995/

Re: Jonathan and Mary Tatum of North Carolina

Posted: 19 Apr 2002 1:27PM GMT
I am related to Jonathan and Mary. Their son Seth was my 2nd great grandfather. How are you related?

Posted: 19 Apr 2002 2:36PM GMT
Surnames: Tatum, Jones, Beers, McDowell, Friend, Lowe
My relation to Jonathan and Mary Tatum are they are my 4th great grandparents.

You say that you are related to them through their son Seth Tatum. Well my line goes through their daughter Mary Jane Tatum who married to Joseph Jones on 10 Nov 1842 in Lawrence Co., Indiana. They had 10 children nine children while in Monroe Co., Indiana and then moved to Jones Co., Iowa and had one last child. Before leaving Indiana my 2nd great grandmother Mary Jones married to Joseph McDowell on 16 Aug 1860 in Lawrence Co., Indiana. They then moved with her parents to Iowa and had four children. In the mid spring Joseph McDowell died and left my 2nd great grandmother a widow with children. She later married a Mr. Jones but I am not certain when that happen for I just recently found out about that. Of her children, Manford Hamilton McDowell married Sarah Belle Beers in Grand Island, Nebraska where the family later moved to between 1872 to 1883. My grandmother was born in Giltner, Nebraska where she was raised and met my grandfather Wilbur Levie Friend, which they eventually moved to California where my father was born and married.

So this is my relation to this family.

Do you have any more information on this couple? I have Seth married to a Belinda Lowe on 27 Jun 1844 in Monroe Co., Indiana. They had three children Marion, Mary, and John E. Tatum. Belinda died in 1862 but I haven't found out if Seth ever got remarried or not. If you have more it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know more about Jonathan and Mary Tatum. What was Mary maiden name? Do you have death date? Etc.

Thanks for posting a message here.

Matthew D. Friend
friends1995@yahoo.com

Sharon Mills (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2002 4:57PM GMT
Surnames: Tatum, Ross, Jones
Matthew, I read your message with interest, having previously corresponded with just one other Jones/Tatum descendant Is it possible you meant to say Thomas Jones instead of Joseph? That's how he's listed per the 1850 In census in Lawrence Co. A previous researcher had said that Jane Tatum's full name was Jane Pearl Tatum and that she was also nicknamed "Nancy." Her marriage license was made out to Jane, as was the 1850 census. Do you have other documents where she used Mary as a first name? People often went by a middle name.

Randy will fill you on his Seth's second marriage, and I'll be happy to share anything you like about Nathaniel Tatum and Anna Ross.

Mary's maiden name remains a mystery, as does information about the family's migration to IN. I have a death date for Mary of April 29, 1851, with no documentation.

Posted: 19 Apr 2002 6:30PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2006 7:36PM GMT
Jonathan was born in Virginia per an early census record. Jonathan and Mary's children were born in North Carolina. The family came to Indiana between 1830 and 1840. Seth and Belinda had seven children that I know of. Seth and Belinda are buried in the Lowe family cemetery. Seth did remarry to Martha Tate in 1863. Together they took over the farm of John Jackson Tate, Martha's father. The farm is still owned by a Tatum. A number of Tatums moved to Nebraska in the late 1800s. I've seen a few Iowa connections as well. Lots of people would like to know more about Jonathan and Mary but no luck so far. No maiden name for Mary, no date of death or location, nothing. I think she, along with Jonathan, is buried in northern Lawrence or southern Monroe County. Thomas Jones owned a farm within a half mile of Jonathan's farm close to an area called Hog Hollow. (I love that part) Once you get past Jonathan there is a wealth of info. Glad to share. There also is a mailing list of people researching this family, would be happy to add your name.

Randall Tatum

Posted: 19 Apr 2002 10:29PM GMT
In the 1880 census it show Mary Jane listed with two of her daughters. Thomas had died just before the census was taken. Here is the census.

Census Place: Rome, Jones, Iowa
Source: FHL Film 1254348
National Archives Film T9-0348 Page 477C
Relation Sex Marr Race Age Birthplace
M. J. JONES Self F W W 57 NC
Occ: Keeping House Fa: NC Mo: NC
Mary JONES Dau F W W 35 IN
Fa: IN Mo: NC
Della JONES Dau F S W 14 IA
Fa: IN Mo: NC

But when I discovered the connection in my line I found, I think, that M. J. Jones was Mary Jane (Tatum) Jones. What I found very hard to understand is why Mary Jones was living with her mother and not with her children. Mary married name was McDowell, then back to Jones? I couldn't figure that out until I was over at my cousin house during my kids spring break and he had a pictures of Mary with a Mr. Jones. He told me that she got remarried to a Jones. So now I am trying to figure out who is this Jones and where were her children during the 1880 census.

So somewhere I found the name Mary Jane (Tatum) Jones, just not sure where just yet. I was just excited about making a connection since I only had Mary (Jones) McDowell/Jones and no parents.

Matthew D. Friend
friends1995@yahoo.com

P.S. Yes I meant Thomas NOT Joseph!

Posted: 19 Apr 2002 10:43PM GMT
Email me directly and we can discuss more on this family. I only got some much information base on what I find on Family Search and Ancestry and what other sources I have available here.

Matthew D. Friend
friends1995@yahoo.com

Posted: 7 Oct 2003 6:53PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jun 2004 7:02PM GMT
Surnames: Tatum
Sharon,
I would love to have anything on Nathaniel Tatum that you may have; as I've been told that he is one of my ancestors

Sharon Mills (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2003 10:19PM GMT
Surnames: Tatum, Ross
Faye, Let's compare notes mainly on the Tatum email list, which can accept longer messages. I would like to know how you connect to Nathanial Tatum and Anna Ross.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic