Search for content in message boards

John Berry, England-to-Richmond, Va. ca. 1700

John Berry, England-to-Richmond, Va. ca. 1700

Posted: 14 Dec 2008 2:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
If anybody is related to this Berry, shoot me an email.

My branch went through Rankin County, Mississippi in the 19th century - three soldiers in the Sixth Mississippi infantry regiment. This branch includes Pleasant Berry, Andrew Berry, John Morrah Berry.

Re: John Berry, England-to-Richmond, Va. ca. 1700

Posted: 24 Dec 2008 6:17PM GMT
I am descended from John Berry b. 1765 in VA. He lived in Chesterfield Co. SC and migrated to MS in the early 1800's with his brothers, David and German. John and German Berry settled in Simpson Co. MS, but David Berry moved on to Rankin Co. MS. He established his line there. Pleasant Berry was one of his grandchildren b. 1839. Many of these Rankin Co. Berrys moved on to Texas after the Civil War in an oxwagon caravan.

I'm interested on information on the early Berrys that you mention, coming from England.

Thanks, Melissa

Posted: 29 Dec 2008 6:35PM GMT
Hello Melissa, thanks for writing.

I double-checked my records. My ancestor John Berry is the same as yours. He was the son of Isaac (or James Isaac) Berry. Reportedly, their family came from England in the 1600s. I found a 2-page description of the oxwagon caravan (it sounds like some or all of them returned to Mississippi?) and some Civil War records too.

I am descended from Isaac - John - German - Pleasant - John Morrah - Currie Bernard, Sr. - Currie Bernard, Jr. (my dad).

My dad was an only child and so am I, so I am looking for other Berrys out there. How are you related?

Posted: 29 Dec 2008 9:34PM GMT
Surnames: Berry
This is my line:

John Berry b. 1765 VA d. 1833-35 MS
Col. John Jackson Berry b. 1803 SC d. 1859
Denson Berry b. 1831 MS d 1865
Alonzo Berry b. 1854 MS d. @1892
Earnest Rodric Berry b. 1888 MS d. 1954 LA
Robert Osman Berry b. 1924 MS
Melissa Berry McCarter b. 1952 LA

The story in my family is that this original John Berry was a Jr. and that his father, John Sr. came from SC. I've had my dad's DNA done, and we have a close DNA match with the Berrys from Marion Co. SC...most of whom descend from Andrew Berry b. 1720. The story is that he and his 2 brothers came to Charles Town in 1735, and that he made his way up to the NC/SC border and settled on the Pee Dee River. His descendants are still in SC. It is said that one brother moved on to Virginia, and John Jr. was born in Virginia; so we may be descended from a brother of Andrew. It's a little more to go on anyway.

Berry Family in Virginia - Mississippi - Louisiana

Posted: 29 Dec 2008 9:53PM GMT
Surnames: Isaac - John - John / German / David
Melissa:

Your John was a Jr. According to both my elders' oral tradition, and the internet (so it must be true!) Isaac Berry had one son, John (Sr.). John had three sons: John Jr., German, and David (1770-1831). David is my ancestor through his son German. So John Sr. is our common ancestor.

I was born in Louisiana also. Also in Louisiana, there is a doctor named Gene Berry (about 65 years old) who is a friend of ours. His family is from Mississippi but we never made a specific connection.

I found the story below, which is consistent with my elders' tales, at the website below. It has links to many people in the your chain.
http://www.barlowgenealogy.com/MsKinfolk/Berry/JohnBerry1.ht...

The Berry family came to America in the 1600's, and settled in Virginia. Some of them settled at Whitehall, Virginia; were prominent citizens there, and established the first Episcopal Church there. John Berry lived in or near Richmond, Virginia.

Re: Berry Family in Virginia - Mississippi - Louisiana

Posted: 3 Jan 2009 3:56AM GMT
Surnames: Berry
Thanks for your info!
So it may be that they all migrated from Virginia to SC, some just earlier than the others.
Have you found any solid references to Isaac being the father of John Sr.? Like wills, legal cases, etc. Where did this data come from?

I'm interested in following up on the Episcopal church records in Whitehall, VA, since that's where John Jr. is said to have been born...or maybe christened. If I can't do it by e-mail, my best friend lives in Reston, VA.

Where do you live now?

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions