Search for content in message boards

Effie Davis Offil & Carrie Davis Pelfrey

Effie Davis Offil & Carrie Davis Pelfrey

Stella Newman (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2003 12:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Oct 2003 10:55AM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Offill, Pelfrey, Justice, Day, Knipp, Rose
Searching for info on parents of Effie Davis Offill and Carrie Davis Pelfrey, both born between 1880 and 1882. Their parents are listed as Dan Davis believed to be born about 1855 and Nancy Justice Davis. Effie married William Offill, my grandparents, and Carrie believed to be listed in 1910 Carter Co.census married to Etha E. Pelfrey. Effie and Carrie had half sisters Eva Davis Day, and Ruby Davis Knipp, and also three half brothers whose parents were Dan Davis and Jennie Rose Davis. Any info will be appreciated with thanks.

Re: Effie Davis Offil & Carrie Davis Pelfrey

Posted: 13 Apr 2007 5:34AM GMT
Surnames: Davis
Hi, Stella
I was interested in your post because my husband's Davis line is a mess. Dan Davis was the brother of my husband's gr grandfather, Garrick, who died before his grandmother, Clemmie Lee was born in May 1889. Dan & Jennie had Rarlon, Harlan, Cecil, Curtis, & Clyde in addition to Ruby and Eva according to the 1930 census.
The mess is in Dan's parents. The story is that they married on the boat coming over from Wales. The problem is that in the 1870 census John (1814-1891) says he was born in Wales. His wife listed as Caroline (1832-1904) says she was born in KY. There is a cemetery on Limestone Rd near Rayburns store where John is buried but the wife buried just behind him is Catherine, not Caroline. Since Caroline did not die until 1904 I assume she was his second wife but if so is the mother of Dan and Garrick as well as Walter, Perry, and Annie? Anyway, the story of the marriage on the boat seems like just a story. I tried to track down the other children but Dan is the only one with any records.
Have you learned anything since your posting in 2003 that would help me figure this out? The only relative I have contact with is Ruby's daughter. She is the one who told the boat story. Ironically, Ruby was not only Dan Davis's daughter, she was also the mother of my husband's first wife.
On one census I found a Dan who was widowed with children Ida, John, and Maud but no Effie or Carrie. Is this the same Dan? Might he have been married 3 times instead of 2?

Linda Kiser

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 2:30AM GMT
There is a two year old Effie Davis in family 173 during the 1880 Lewis Co, KY census. Check page #20, Supervisor District 5, Enumeration District 6. The head of household could easily be interpreted as David b:cal 1855 (same age as Dan'l), but I do believe it's Daniel. His wife's name is obliterated and doesn't look like either Virginia or Jenny. His brother Garrell (two uncrossed Ts), b:cal 1858 is living with him, the right age for Dan'l's brother Garrett. I don't have vitals for Jenny Rose; the spouse in this census was b:cal 1859. I'm not sure this is the Effie who m:William Offill. From another posting I have Carrie and Effie's father as a John Davis and Cinthia; John d:during the Civil War. I've not been able to link John to any of the known Davis lines in KY. Are vitals available for Effie or Carrie?

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 5:03AM GMT
Surnames: Davis
Wow! I never thought to look for Garrell! He was born in 1858. The only mention of him I had ever found was the 1870 census in Fox Springs, Fleming County.

Effie and Carrie are new to me. I had never heard of them until your posting. My John, if he is the one at the cemetery I mentioned, died in 1891. The only info I have on Jenny is that she was born in 1885. Unfortunately I can't remember where I got that. I have tons of papers to go through so I may find it there. I know is was within the last year that I found it. I'll take a look at that census and see if I can figure out the name. Maybe on a different site. I've heard that it can make a difference.

I'll let you know if I run across anything on Effie and Carrie.

Posted: 28 Apr 2007 3:12AM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Offill, Rose, Pelfrey, Justice, Howe, Fogle
Hi Linda,
Sorry I didn't respond to your message sooner. Children of Daniel Davis and Jennie Rose are listed in the Carter Co Births 1911-1920 and 1921-1930 under "D". Listed are Wm. C.,Eva,Ruby,Clyde,Curtis and Allen C. Daniel's death is listed in Ky. Death Records as 4/23/1933 at age 77. Daniel and Jennie are buried in Clarke Cemetery. Daniel Davis is listed in 1900 Carter Co Census District 4 as 45 yrs.
In the Fleming Co. Ky. Census 1870 there is a John W. Davis 56 from Wales with wife Catherine age 38, Daniel 14, Garret 12, Perry 8, Walter 3, and Anne age 1.
Listed in obit of Effie Davis married to Charles Wm. Offill, she is listed as born in Falmouth, Ky., which is Pendleton Co. Ky. and daughter of Daniel Davis and Nancy Justice. She was born approx 1880, and Carrie her sister approx 1881. In 1910 Denton-Carter Co Census she is listed as 30 yrs. old in Wm. Offill household. Also listed is Carrie, sister to Effie as 29 in household of Etha E. Pelfrey. I cannot find a record of Effie and Carrie in Pendleton, Co., and assume the family moved to Carter Co. early in 1880's. So far this is all I have found.
I just recently checked the LDS family search site and listed John, and also Daniel Davis. Several are listed as born in 1855 for Daniel from Ky, and John has several listings also. A Daniel Davis is listed married to Nancy P. Justice born in Pendleton, Ky. Her parents are listed as Jacob Justice born in Pendleton, Ky, and died in Enterprise, Carter Co, Ky., and her mother as Rosanna Howe.
Parents of Jacob Justice is listed as Jesse T. Justice and Sarah Ann Fogle. There is more info but I have not had a chance to go any further with a search on this. Seems these families were from Pendleton Co., and all moved to Carter Co.,Ky. I haven't gotten a chance to check out any of this, but is something to maybe go on for a start.
Thank you so much for answering my post. Perhaps we can find more on Garrick or Garret Davis if we keep trying.

Stella Newman

Effie Davis Offill & Carrie Davis Pelfrey

Posted: 28 Apr 2007 3:41AM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Offill
Hi CW,
John Davis and Cinthia are listed as father and mother to Effie in a booklet titled "The James Offill Family Came to Iowa." It also lists John being killed in the Civil War. I don't see how that could be however, since the Civil War ended in 1865, and Effie was born approx in 1880. So I am still working on that bit of info.

Thank You,
Stella Newman

Re: Effie Davis Offill & Carrie Davis Pelfrey

Posted: 29 Apr 2007 7:02PM GMT
Thank you, Stella. I just found a source for James Offill Family Came to Iowa", but I won't be able to access until June.

Just to verify, were Charles William Offill's parents Johnson Henry and Mary Jane White Offill?

With multiple Davis multi-great grandparents, I've tended to gather a bit of info on John W Davis and Catherine Shelton's family, just to differentiate between my other Davis lines. I have several cousins down this line, but have not been able to connect the line to either of my Davis lines. Not all sources are documented in the listing below; a significant amount of information were from phone calls with cousins in the Eastern KY area and need further proof of accuracy. The listing below is only a three generation listing but should provide clues for further research. If researchers are interested in exchanging more complete listings, you're welcome to email me directly. Corrections and additions are always welcome.

Modified Register for John W DAVIS

First Generation

1. John W DAVIS was born calculated 1814 in Wales. He died in 1891.

John married Catherine SHELTON 1 . Catherine was born calculated 1832 in Ky, USA. She died in 1904. She was buried in Limestone.

They had the following children:

+ 2 M i. Daniel DAVIS was born in Jul 1855. He died on 23 Apr 1933.

+ 3 M ii. Garret DAVIS was born calculated 1858. He died in 1889.

+ 4 M iii. Jefferson DAVIS was born in Jul 1861.

5 M iv. Perry DAVIS was born calculated 1862 in Ky, USA.

+ 6 M v. Walter DAVIS was born calculated 1867.

7 F vi. Annie DAVIS was born calculated 1869 in Ky, USA.

Second Generation

2. Daniel DAVIS 2 (John W) was born in Jul 1855 in Bourbon Co, KY. He died on 23 Apr 1933. He was buried in Clarke Cemetery.

Daniel married Virginia "Jenny" ROSE daughter of ROSE. Virginia was born in 1885. She was buried in Clarke Cemetery.

8 F i. Ida DAVIS was born in Dec 1881 in Ky, USA.

9 M ii. John DAVIS was born in Jul 1886 in Ky, USA.

10 M iii. Maud DAVIS was born in 1890.

11 M iv. Harlan DAVIS 3 was born on 26 Dec 1911 in Carter Co, KY, USA. He died on 2 Jan 1972. He was buried in Fielding Cemetery, Route 174, Carter Co, KY, USA.

12 F v. Eva DAVIS 4 was born on 9 Mar 1914 in Carter Co, Ky. She died on 8 May 2001.
Eva married James Willard DAY . James died in 1973.

13 M vi. William C DAVIS 5 was born on 15 May 1917 in Carter Co, KY, USA.

14 F vii. Ruby Ann DAVIS 6 was born on 16 Apr 1920 in Carter Co, KY, USA. She died on 13 Jan 1998. She was buried in Clark Cemetery, Olive Hill, Carter Co, KY.

Ruby Ann Davis Knipp, 77, of Morehead, Rowan Co, KY, formerly of Enterprise, born
Apr 16, 1920 in Carter Co, KY, dau of the late Dan and Jenny Rose Davis, died Jan 13,
1998 at her home. Preceded: husband, William Arthur Knipp in 1992. Survived: sons,
Daniel Knipp, Franklin Knipp, Ernest Knipp and Larry Ray Knipp, daus, Earliene Joan
Flannery, Patty Quigley and Sharon Patton, brother, Clyde Davis, sister, Eva Day, 21,
gc, 14 g-gc. Burial: Jan 15, 1998 in the Clark Cemetery, Olive Hill, Carter Co, KY.

Ruby married William Arthur KNIPP son of George Washington "Buddy" KNIPP Jr and Florence Uritha MARKWELL. William was born on 20 Oct 1911. He died in 1992.

15 M viii. Clyde P DAVIS 7 was born on 9 Oct 1921. He died on 15 Jan 1923. He was buried in James Cemetery, Gregoryville, Carter Co, KY, USA.

16 M ix. Allen Curtis DAVIS 8 was born on 31 Jul 1922 in Carter Co, KY, USA.

17 F x. Anna L DAVIS 9 was born on 5 Apr 1923 in Morgan Co, KY, USA.

18 M xi. Clyde DAVIS 10 was born on 14 Feb 1925 in Enterprise, Ky. He died on 7 Apr 2005 in Mansfield, Richland Co, Oh.

MANSFIELD -- Clyde Davis, 80, died Thursday, April 7, 2005, at MedCentral/ Mansfield
Hospital after a brief illness.
Our beloved husband, father, and grandfather went to be with his Lord.
Clyde was born in Enterprise, Kentucky, on February 14, 1925, to the late Daniel and
Jenny Davis. He was devoted to Darlene, his beautiful wife of 59 years. They were
married April 2, 1946. Mansfield has been their home since 1947 except for their years
in Columbus from 1980-1998.
Clyde was retired from Consolidated Freightways where he worked for 38 years. He
was a veteran of the military and a member of Freewill Baptist Church. Some of the
many things he enjoyed were playing softball and golf, bowling, pitching horseshoes,
traveling, walking his dogs, and spoiling his grandchildren. He was a champion euchre
player and avid baseball fan.
Above all, Clyde was an inspiration. A teacher by example, his kind and gentle ways,
humility, unselfishness, and generosity leave a timeless legacy. He gave the greatest
gifts of all to his family, friends, and even strangers -- unconditional love, his time, a
warm smile and encouragement.
He was known to all as "Pap" and was a remarkable man of faith and a peacemaker by
nature. His loving tenderness, sweet spirit, and calming sound of his voice leave us
with a lifetime of precious memories.
He is survived by his wife, Darlene Davis; son, Rodger Davis (Lynda) of Mansfield;
daughter, Carolyn Sue (Davis) Dean of Denver, Colo.; four grandchildren, Kerry Jason
Dean (Angie) and Jenny (Dean) Blackwood (Cory) of Denver; Robin Davis Pruitt (Gary)
and Brian Davis (Jeannetta) of Mansfield; nine great-grandchildren, Aaron, Luke,
Chesney (Mansfield), and Gage, Jack, Beau Eileen, Ryan, Matthew, and Joshua
(Denver); two step great-grandchildren, Sean and Tina (Mansfield); and many beloved
nieces and nephews and friends.
In addition to his parents, Clyde was preceded in death by two sisters, Ruby Knipp and
Eva Day; three brothers, Curtis, Cecil and Harlan Davis; one half-brother, Willard
Swinnegan, all formerly of Enterprise, Ky.; and son-in-law, Kerry Dean of Denver.
Friends may call between 2 and 6 p.m. Sunday, April 10, at Wappner Funeral Home,
Lexington-Springmill.

Funeral services will be April 11 at 2 p.m. at the church "Pap" dearly loved, Dean Road
Freewill Baptist Church. His nephew, the Rev. Bobby Day, will conduct his service
along with Pastors C. Earl Tackett and Virgil Masters. Clyde will be buried at Mansfield
Memorial Park.
May God bless this wonderful man just as he blessed all he touched while on this earth.

Clyde married Lillian Darlene "Lilly" ROSE daughter of William Fred "Ferl" ROSE and Ollie ABRAMS on 2 Apr 1946.

19 M xii. Cecil DAVIS .

3. Garret DAVIS (John W) was born calculated 1858 in Ky, USA. He died in 1889 in Rowan Co, Ky.

Garret married Pricilla Elizabeth "Betty" RAYBURN daughter of Henry Willis RAYBURN Jr and Mary S "Molly" JOHNSON. Pricilla was born on 27 Oct 1864. She died on 11 Jan 1943 in Carter Co, Ky.

20 F i. Clemmie Lee DAVIS was born on 19 May 1889 in Lawton, Carter Co., KY. She died on 20 May 1970 in Upper Tygart, Carter County, KY. She was buried in Walnut Grove Cemetery, Carter-Lewis Co Border, KY.
Clemmie married Absalom Abner WOMACK son of James A. WOMACK and Estella "Ellen" RUCKER in 1905 in Carter County, Ky. Absalom was born on 1 Jan 1878 in Reedville, KY. He died on 26 Oct 1935 in Upper Tygart, Carter County, KY.

4. Jefferson DAVIS (John W) was born in Jul 1861 in Ky, USA.

Jefferson married Celia . Celia was born in Aug 1866 in OH, USA.

21 M i. James W DAVIS was born in May 1882 in Ky, USA.

22 M ii. John DAVIS was born in Jul 1884.

23 F iii. Bessie D DAVIS was born in Jun 1890 in Ky, USA.

24 F iv. Ella DAVIS was born in Aug 1891 in Ky, USA.

25 M v. Evert E DAVIS was born in Sep 1894 in Ky, USA.

26 M vi. Pete DAVIS was born in Apr 1900 in Ky, USA.

6. Walter DAVIS (John W) was born calculated 1867 in Ky, USA.

Walter married Rosa Lee DYER daughter of Hiram Charles DYER and Mary Marcella LEARY. Rosa was born in Aug 1870.

27 M i. Elza J "Elzie" DAVIS was born calculated 1897 in Ky, USA.
Elza married Amanda STIDHAM daughter of James L STIDHAM and Mary

Ellen SPARKS. Amanda was born calculated 1899 in Ky, USA.

28 F ii. Anna J DAVIS was born calculated 1900 in Ky, USA.

29 M iii. Lionel S DAVIS was born on 8 Dec 1903 in Carter Co, Ky. He died on 24 May 1978.
Lionel married Estella L "Stella" CONN daughter of James Melvin CONN and Martha Jane CLINE on 24 Aug 1924. Estella was born on 1 Jul 1908 in Carter Co, Ky. She died on 15 Jan 2004 in Lexington, Richland Co, OH.

30 F iv. Mary M DAVIS was born calculated 1907 in Ky, USA.

31 F v. Laura DAVIS was born calculated 1909 in Ky, USA.

32 M vi. Ed DAVIS .

Appendix A - Sources

1. Federal Census, 1870 Fleming Co, KY, 4 Jun 1870.Other sources have Heather Caroline.
2. Federal Census, 1900 Carter Co, KY.Daniel has no spouse and is in this census with Ida, John and Maud. They may have a different mother than the other kids.
3. Kentucky Birth Index, Vol 148, Certificate 59003.Harlan is in the transcribed birth index with his mother, "JENNE RUST".
4. Kentucky Birth Index, Vol 26, Certificate 12576.
5. Kentucky Birth Index, Vol 47, Certificate 23238.William's middle name may be "Cecil".
6. Kentucky Birth Index, Vol 47, Certificate 23411.
7. Kentucky Birth Index, Vol 97, Certificate 48435.
8. Kentucky Birth Index, Vol 195, Certificate 92578.or Vol 65, Certificate 32109.
9. Kentucky Birth Index, Vol 31, Certificate 15302.
10. Email, John Cooper, 9 Apr 2005.obituary.

Posted: 29 Apr 2007 10:20PM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Offill, Pelfrey, Day, Knipp
Hello CW

You have quite a bit of info on this family and I appreciate your response. To answer your question--
yes the parents of Charles Wm. Offill are Johnson offill and Mary Jane White Offill.
Unfortunately the only info I have for Effie Davis Offill is her obituary which I will post here.

OLIVE HILL--Mrs. Effie Offill, 82 of Rt. 1, Olive Hill, died at 2 a.m. today at her home following one month's illness.
Her husband, William Offill, died in 1938.
Mrs. Offill was born July 31, 1880 at Falmouth, a daughter of the late Dan and Nancy Justice Davis.
She is survived by three sons, Dewey and Johnson Offill of Rt. 1, Olive Hill, and Russell Offill of South Point, O.:
one sister, Mrs. Carrie Pelfrey of Morehead; two half-sisters, Mrs. Eva Day of Morehead and Mrs. Ruby Knipp of Enterprise; three half-brothers, Clyde and Harlan Davis of Mansfield, O., and Curtis Davis of Indiana.
Funeral services will be conducted at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Limestone Pentecostal Church by the Rev. Willard Day and the Rev. Otha Brown. Burial will be in the Olive Hill Cemetery at Lawton. The body is at the Leslie A. Henderson Funeral Home where friends may call.
Date of death: May 11, 1963

Thank you so much for answering.
Stella Newman

Posted: 30 Apr 2007 12:02AM GMT
So Caroline and Catherine are the same person? I took a photo of the headstone "Caroline wife of John W. Davis" at Limestone cemetery with the same dates you have but the 1870 census shows wife Catherine. Family lore says John met and married his wife on the boat from Wales but the census says she was born KY. Also, Jefferson is not listed in the 1870 census with this family. Anyone know why not? This is the first I've heard of him.

My husband is a decendant through Garrick and Clemmie Lee.

Posted: 30 Apr 2007 12:18AM GMT
Well, the obituary certainly implies that Daniel was m:Nancy Justice before marrying Jenny Rose. Thanks for your response as well.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions