Search for content in message boards

U.S. Military Registers Date instructions Update

U.S. Military Registers Date instructions Update

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 10:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
We have updated the Military Date fields. Based on feedback and further discussions with the Content Manager a decision was made to stay with the instruction to key the most recent date - regardless of what type of "event" this is.

We apologize for the confusion caused over the past week regarding which dates should be keyed. Thank you for your patience and contributions!

Re: U.S. Military Registers Date instructions Update

Posted: 8 Mar 2014 2:48AM GMT
Is the eligibility date included in ... "regardless of what type of event this is" ... although it's an event which hasn't occurred? Does the Basic Pay Entry date still trump the Eligibility date?
Attachments:

Posted: 8 Mar 2014 9:29AM GMT
Yes even though the date may have not occurred, if this is the most recent date, it would be keyed.

Posted: 9 Mar 2014 1:27AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2014 2:32AM GMT
Since it's a future date, the event might not even have happened. They may have died before they were promoted. Hence, the eligibility date would be meaningless to a researcher; whereas, the date they entered the service would be valuable. On the image set I'm keying, the eligibility dates will always be the most recent.

Wiki: If there is an actual Military event date, as opposed to the Eligible for promotion date which isn't an event that has occurred, use the other date. However, if just a Promotion Eligibility Date was present on the record it would be keyed. So in your example you would use the pay entry date. Annafechter 18:54, 25 February 2014 (UTC)

So do I key the most recent date regardless of whether it's an actual date or a future date, or do I key the pay entry date as stated above?

In the attachment, do I key the Promotion Elig date or the Pay Entry Date?

Attachments:

Posted: 9 Mar 2014 7:39AM GMT
Anna amended her instruction 2/28/14. I have updated the wiki to show this.

http://boards.ancestry.com/wap.arbitration/713.1.1/mb.ashx
per page

Find a board about a specific topic