Search for content in message boards

I volunteer searches for obit in Acadia Parish

I volunteer searches for obit in Acadia Parish

Mary (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2003 3:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
I volunteer my time for searches on obits and some newspaper artcles around Acadia Parish

Re: I volunteer searches for obit in Acadia Parish

Bill Hilton (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2003 8:12PM GMT
Surnames: McConnell, McWilliams
Martha Jane McConnell died 1905 in Crowley, La. This is my Great-Grandmother, and have a hand writen note on the back of a Pedigree Chart that states, "Grave Lost". She was living with her daughter, Jennie McWilliams, when she died. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Posted: 6 Nov 2003 5:25AM GMT
Hi,
"Sorry" I just saw your post. I will go to the library and see what I can find on your G -Grandmother, is Mcconnell her marriage or maiden name? I can will check for newspaper obits article, it will have the Cemetery name with that we should be able to find the grave site.

W.M. Hilton (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2003 2:28PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: McConnell, McWilliams
McConnell is her married name. Her maiden name is Martha Jane March, born in Ohio 1835.
Thanks for your help.
Bill Hilton

Re: I volunteer searches for obit in Acadia Parish (Found)

Posted: 8 Nov 2003 5:56AM GMT
Edited: 4 Feb 2005 5:03AM GMT
Hilton, here is the obituary for Mrs. Josiah Newton
(Martha Jane) McConnell. I also found where her burial was, it was here in Crowley,La ~~~~ you also will notice, that on the newspaper article (Copy at the Library) has the date of Printed for 1-7-1905 and her maiden as Newton (not March) But, on the index record (Library) it has her date of death for 12-13-1904
~ I will go and see if I can find her headstone on Monday. And make sure her date of death. Below is the obits
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1-7-1905
Mrs. Josiah Newton (Martha Jane) McConnell
DEATH OF MRS.McCONNELL
Passed Away Saturday Night at Home of Her Daughter.
Mrs. Martha Jane McConnell died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. M. H. McWilliams on Webster farm, some few miles southwest of Crowley Saturday nigth at 9:40 o'clock.
Mrs. McConnell was born at Lattas, Ohio, November 22, 1832 and was past seventy-two years of age at her death.
At an early age she united with the Lattas, Ohio, Methodist Church and remained in that church untill the year 1851. In that year she was joined in wedlock to Josiah Newton McConnell and with him united by letter with the Concord Preabyterina church. She was a devout Christian, a loving wife and a kind sympathetic mother. Her prescnce will be sadly missed in the home and in the circle of admiring friends and the heartfelt sympathy of her legion of friends is extended to the sorrowing ones who mourn her loss.
Since the death of her husband four years ago last November she had made her home with her daughter at whose home her death accurred.
Rev. J.W. LaGrone paster of the Central Methodist church, conducted the last sad rites over the body Sunday afternoon and a large number of friends were in attendance to pay their last respects. Index record below
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Index record at the Library says
McConnell, MRS. Martha Jane
MRS. Josiah Newton McConnell
( M.J. on headstone )
death: 12-13-1904
birth: 11-22-1832
Southwest of Crowley, La
Bur. Old Crowley
Cem. Crowley, La

Re: I volunteer searches for obit in Acadia Parish (Found)

W.M.Hilton (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2003 3:32PM GMT
Mary Thomas, thank you. The family is overjoyed with the information you sent. It has been included in our family history with you getting full credit.

GEORGE CHACHERE (View posts)
Posted: 24 Feb 2004 6:20PM GMT
Surnames: Leger , Chachere
Mary, I am looking for a Mary Leger and a Joseph (Joe) Leger both died in early 40 es. in Crowley, la. Thanks George

Maria (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2004 3:41AM GMT
Hi George,
Do you still need thise obits? I can search them for you on monday.

George (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2004 3:48AM GMT
Surnames: Leger , Chachere
Marie I would love for you to search for me. I don't remember exactly what I asked for though. I was looking for the Leger family in and around Crowley.

Maria (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2004 4:10AM GMT
"George" :)
its was obits on Mary Leger & Joseph Leger in the 40s
around Crowley area.......
I can search some death index, marriages and obits. If I can be of help, let me know. I live in Crowley.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions