Search for content in message boards

Denny/Dennie family in Canada and Oswego,NY

Denny/Dennie family in Canada and Oswego,NY

Robin (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2003 8:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Sep 2004 7:12AM GMT
Surnames: Denny, Dennie, Gravlin
I just reciently found my Denny family in Boylston, Oswego, NY 1880 census but on the census it is spelled Dennie. I knew there was a name change I just didn't know what to look for. Also, knew they were in Oswego for at least fifty years. My gg grandpa, Julius Denny or Dennie was born in French parts of Canada around 1820-1824. His family worked in a shipyard in Canada. He was a farmer in NY. He was married to Adelia or Delia Gravlin. She, also born in the French part of Canada in 1836. Julius died in Virginia in 1912. He spoke French very well. I had always thought we were Irish now I 'm wondering maybe French. I'm stuck on Julius right now. I do know that his mother and father both were born in Canada. I am waiting for his death certificate, I ordered it a few days ago. I have alot of info on Julius forward but not much going backwards. My e mail is maross@pinn.net

Re: Denny/Dennie family in Canada and Oswego,NY

Posted: 17 Apr 2003 1:18PM GMT
Edited: 30 Aug 2005 11:26PM GMT
Surnames: Dennie, wendell
Thomas Dennie dec. of John and sarah wendell of Bostn, an NY. John from Albert Dennie of Nova scotia and wife Mary Nichols of Ma. Dennie is the way my family has used the Dennie spelling from Before Albert, even though it can be spelled many ways. John Dennie married Sarah Wendell of NY of the Palantine families of New Admsterdam, and Manny Dennie's still remain in Oswegom NY. who was Thomas actutal father?? John and sarah Wendell or John and 2nd wife Sarah webb. this is a big mystery. I have the portraits of Thomas and Sarah donated to the boston Museum of Fine arts by the family, which they now say they don't have. My eail address has changed. Beelercartex@aol.com

Robin (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2003 5:45PM GMT
Carole,
The names you mentioned do not sound familar to me as of yet. I did get the death certificate that I was waiting on. Julius was born 12/25/1819 in Canada, his father was Joseph Dennis/Denny and mother was Margaret Papineau or something similar it's hard to make out her maiden name. Joseph and Margraet were born in Canada between 1770 and 1800.

Robin (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2003 7:19PM GMT
Death certificate on Julius came in. Date of birth 12/25/1819 Canada. Date of death 06/20/1912 Distric of Tanners Creek, Princes Anne County, VA. Father Joseph Denny Born in Canada. Mother Margaret Papsum or (un) born in Canada.

Janice (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2004 1:37AM GMT
Edited: 22 Sep 2004 4:56AM GMT
Surnames: Deney, Dana, Denny
Saw your entry... I'm having difficulty too in tracing my lines there in the Oswego/Jefferson County NY. My grt-grt- grandfather was John Dana/Deney/Denny whose father just might be a Abraham Dana/Deney/Denny. They both owned exactly 3 acres in Ellisburg. Jefferson Co within 10 years of each other 1825-1835 (it looks as though its the same property by physically checking the films). My John was born around 1815/16 and this Abraham was born before 1780 (by equating the 1825 census at that time). Abraham had 6 children = 3 boys and 3 girls (one girl being born in 1824). My John fits in the 3 boys age group and then is found in 1835 census married with no children (We have info that my John was married in 1833 = it seems to fit all together). John married a Lucretta McNitt whose family lived in Sandy Creek (Oswego Co). The area where the census was taken is close to the border of of Oswego/ Jefferson Co's.
I wonder if there might be a connection between the two families as my John is also of French heritage and his wife Scot'.

Robin (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2004 8:03PM GMT
Surnames: Denny/Denis/Denys/Carpenter/Mears/Gravlin/Gravline/Papsun/Goino/Grook/Hutch/Keyser/Hudgins
Janice,

Don 't see a connection to you yet. I did want to let you know that St Mary's cotholic church of Oswego has records dateing back to 1859 and they did find a record for my family.

Maria Aloysia Denis was bptised on Oct. 7, 1868. Parents were, Julianus Denis and Adelina Graveline. Witness was, Felicita Charpentier.

One of Julius/Jules and Adelia/Delia's other children were married into the Carpenter family. I knew this before I recieved the church recored.

Also, wanted to let you know that I found my family in Salina, Onondaga, NY in 1860 before they moved to Oswego. Also, Julius came to America from Upper Canada in 1836/1837 abt. the time the Canadian Rebllion started. I still dont know who he came with or where he settled prior to Salina, or his sibs. names. I just know that his father was Joseph Denis/Denys and his mother was Margaret Pap(sun) or somthing and that they were born abt. 1780 in French speaking part of Canada. (they were French).

Robin

Posted: 10 Mar 2005 11:32PM GMT
John Dennie of Boston, Married Sarah Wendell of NY, dau.of Abraham and Katrina DeKey Wendell. Her Birth 1710/21. Later her mother and father moved to Boston.We think she died in 1785. But, Jacobus say 1748??? Everett Jansen Wendall ;came from Leyden, his son was Johannes, then Abraham was his son. Their are many Dennie's of different spellings in NY, are are are related. does this help?

Posted: 10 Jul 2005 1:11AM GMT
Surnames: Dennie/Denny
Most of the Dennie's of Hudson Valley spelled their names Dennie. Also many other ways ig: Denne, Denny, Denney, De Dene, I am not entirely comfortable with albert being born in Nova Scotia, as his parents are from Ireland and Scotland.
You can still reach me at the above email. I know that my family spelled more than one way, even Dennnis. But my grandfather Horace stated his direct family spelled it Dennie and he was right. If I can be of help do not hesitate to email me. Do not rule out the other nations, especially UK, France and the Netrherlands.

Posted: 17 Jul 2007 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: Denny/Dennis/Denis/Danis/Dennie,Carpenter,Meyers,Gravline
Update:
I am under current belief that JOSEPH DENNIS (age 75), found on 1860 Baldwinsville, Lysander, Onondaga, New York fed. census, series M653, roll 828, page 198 is the father of my Julius Dennis. Joseph is 75 which puts his birth year abt. 1785. Place of birth listed is, Canada. Female listed with him may or may not be wife. There is abt. a 22 year age difference. If she is, she is prob. second wife. Her age is 53, name is Josephine. Two males listed, Theodore age 20 and Peter age 16. Tuker family next door. I am unable to locate him in 1870. Have you heard of anyone claiming any relation to this Joseph Dennis? My Julius is in Salina, Onondaga in 1860. If you have access to the 1840 and 1850 census please let me know. My line was not here before 1836. Robin

P.S. There were Scots and Irish in Canada in 1700 and 1800. Cecil Denny a mounted police in Canada came from Tralee Castle Family in Ireland. Don’t remember when I think it was in the very early 1800. I know that there is a great deal of English and French Canadian Denny and variants in a lot of the same areas across the northern U. S. boarder states. Most of the English were Protestant and French Canadian were Catholic. Of course the Scots and Irish in the 1700 fought for the English in Nova Scotia and came to help colonize Canada for the English (Great Britan), also the Irish were deported to Canada about 1840 during the famine. In some of the census records my Dennis were indexed as Dennie but when I look at the record it likes like "s" on the end and not an "e". In one record Julius is indexed as a John but clearly to me the written name is Julius. The French for Denis and Dennis is Denny or Danny when pronounced with the "s" being silent. I have copys to show the backing out of Dennis of a 1886 deed and then the re-entering of Denny about 1900 to reflect the American (English) sound and spelling of the name Dennis. The older Catholic records I have of my line the names are spelled in Latin. Ex. Julius is Julianus and Adelia is Adelina. Many French Canadians have Joseph in front of the male name and Margeret or Mary in front of the female name. Ex. Joseph Julius E. Dennis or Mageret Adelia Lucy Gravline. This is due to the rules that were in place of nameing your child only from the appoved names book in the catholic religion most are named after saints. No mater the nationality, I have searched high and low using any and all varients I can think of. The French have the added pleasure of using a dit name which could be in the front, middle or end of a birth name. Ex. Joseph Julius E. Dennis De La Ronde meaning Of The Round. These were names to associate with a famous family member or place of oigin or sometimes just because the roayl Frnch Army made the solders have dit names for identification because everybody was named Joseph. Though I have heard that a dit name was not suppose to be capitalized. :)

Posted: 17 Jul 2007 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: Denny/Dennis/Denis/Danis/Dennie,Carpenter,Meyers,Gravline
Update:
I am under current belief that JOSEPH DENNIS (age 75), found on 1860 Baldwinsville, Lysander, Onondaga, New York fed. census, series M653, roll 828, page 198 is the father of my Julius Dennis. Joseph is 75 which puts his birth year abt. 1785. Place of birth listed is, Canada. Female listed with him may or may not be wife. There is abt. a 22 year age difference. If she is, she is prob. second wife. Her age is 53, name is Josephine. Two males listed, Theodore age 20 and Peter age 16. Tuker family next door. I am unable to locate him in 1870. Have you heard of anyone claiming any relation to this Joseph Dennis? My Julius is in Salina, Onondaga in 1860. If you have access to the 1840 and 1850 census please let me know. My line was not here before 1836. Robin

P.S. There were Scots and Irish in Canada in 1700 and 1800. Cecil Denny a mounted police in Canada came from Tralee Castle Family in Ireland. Don’t remember when I think it was in the very early 1800. I know that there is a great deal of English and French Canadian Denny and variants in a lot of the same areas across the northern U. S. boarder states. Most of the English were Protestant and French Canadian were Catholic. Of course the Scots and Irish in the 1700 fought for the English in Nova Scotia and came to help colonize Canada for the English (Great Britan), also the Irish were deported to Canada about 1840 during the famine. In some of the census records my Dennis were indexed as Dennie but when I look at the record it likes like "s" on the end and not an "e". In one record Julius is indexed as a John but clearly to me the written name is Julius. The French for Denis and Dennis is Denny or Danny when pronounced with the "s" being silent. I have copys to show the backing out of Dennis of a 1886 deed and then the re-entering of Denny about 1900 to reflect the American (English) sound and spelling of the name Dennis. The older Catholic records I have of my line the names are spelled in Latin. Ex. Julius is Julianus and Adelia is Adelina. Many French Canadians have Joseph in front of the male name and Margeret or Mary in front of the female name. Ex. Joseph Julius E. Dennis or Mageret Adelia Lucy Gravline. This is due to the rules that were in place of nameing your child only from the appoved names book in the catholic religion most are named after saints. No mater the nationality, I have searched high and low using any and all varients I can think of. The French have the added pleasure of using a dit name which could be in the front, middle or end of a birth name. Ex. Joseph Julius E. Dennis De La Ronde meaning Of The Round. These were names to associate with a famous family member or place of oigin or sometimes just because the roayl Frnch Army made the solders have dit names for identification because everybody was named Joseph. Though I have heard that a dit name was not suppose to be capitalized. :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions