Search for content in message boards

Kolonia Laden - does anyone know where this is?

Kolonia Laden - does anyone know where this is?

Posted: 12 Mar 2012 7:24AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Komm
This is listed as "Last Residence" on the Jan.6th,1900 sailing of the Friesland from Antwerp to New York mannifest. I am hitting a brick wall with this name. I have tried every varriation I can think of and the 2 words together come up empty. Any ideas?

Re: Kolonia Laden - does anyone know where this is?

Posted: 13 Mar 2012 3:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Kolonia is a district in the Cologne, (Koeln) region in Germany. I think the "laden" refers to the shops there. Laden is a German word and means shop or store. Kolonia is an old expression and refered to Cologne when it was not that big.
It is my conclusion, but am I 100% correct? If it fits all the better, if it does not, you have to look some more.

Posted: 13 Mar 2012 3:07PM GMT
Kolonia is exactly what it sounds like - Colony.

As for Laden, you are in trouble. There is no such place in the long list of villages at www.odessa3.org/collections/refs/link/villhelp.txt

First I double checked the passenger list (I assume you are referring to the Komm family) and the name is clearly written. There are also no additional clues regarding a region or parish.

There is a slim possibility that the place name should be Ladonowka which is on the list. Sometimes Germans dropped the "owka" from a place name and used only the root word but I have no way of knowing if that is the case here. This is a pure guess.

Best suggestion might be to research their relatives mentioned in the passenger list - the Nikolaus Feist family at Eureka. If you can find their place of origin, it might lead you to Kolonia Laden.

ShtetlSeeker gives one possible match in the Black Sea settlement region - Ladino / Lidino / Lidyne located about 40 km due north of Mariupol. If you have other family in that area, it might be a possibility.

Jerry

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 6:16AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Thank you for your reply. I did have all of that info but as I said the "Laden" is causing me some grief. I just wasn't sure if it was an actual named place that I was missing or as you say a shop. I did come up with "Laden" can mean "oppressed" among it's other meanings. I'll keep picking away at it.

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 6:31AM GMT
Thank you for your info Jerry. I appreciate you taking the time to check it out. I have been doing some searching on Nikolaus Feist. The only thing I can find on him is an immigration record from when he came to the states in the 1800's.
What is "ShtetlSeeker" I've never heard of it. But then again I'm pretty much a beginner at this.
Thanks again for your input and btw I have a Jerri Frank in my family too :)

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 12:55PM GMT
ShtetlSeeker http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/LocTown.asp started as a search device for Jewish village but grew to cover all villages in eastern Europe.

Very Important: When you use the search engine make sure it is set at the bottom for "Sounds Like - Daitch....."

This will maximize your returns. You shouldn't consider all the results from such a search because some are just illogical but others may give you words with close spellings that could just be the place you are looking for if your original was badly spelled.

Jerry

Posted: 1 Jun 2012 5:45PM GMT
Kolonia is a Germanization of the Latin Colonia. There are a number of them in Europe. It means that Kolonia began as a Roman settlement.

Posted: 4 Jun 2012 2:39PM GMT
Though the Latin root is correct, it does not mean origin as a Roman settlement. In most cases it represents a German settlement, typically in Polish or Ukraine regions (formerly Russia) but it could have other ethnic connotations as well.

Jerry

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 2:04PM GMT
This may be a bit mundane but I cannot help wondering whether someone has mixed up either profession with residence, or the last place he stayed at was a (relative's?)shop. In German "Kolonial waren" were groceries of the more exotic type, i.e. imported from the "colonies". A "Kolonialgeschaeft" would be a grocer's shop, "Kolonialhandel" grocer's trade. As "Laden" und "Geschaeft" can both mean shop may be "Kolonial Laden" was the term they used locally. Just a suggestion - of course if you have found it to be a place a completely useless one! Good luck anyway.

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 10:44PM GMT
Here is a thought. In old German handwriting the capital B is sometimes confused with the capital L (for instance the name Bernhard can be mistakenly read as Leonhard). With that in mind Kolonia Laden may be the colony of Baden which was in the Kutschurgan district in the Black Sea Region of Russia (now Ukraine). There was a family in Baden by the name of Kohm. Also quite close to Baden was the Germany colony of Strassburg where the Feist family name existed.

If you have not already done so, check out the Kutschurgan pages at the Germans from Russia Heritage Society website http://www.grhs.org/chapters/krig/index.html

Matt
per page

Find a board about a specific topic