Search for content in message boards

Searching for parents of Andrew Myers, b. 1766 in Fayette Co. PA

Searching for parents of Andrew Myers, b. 1766 in Fayette Co. PA

Posted: 28 Aug 2005 7:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Myers
Andrew Myers, b. 1766 in Fayette Co. PA is my grgrgr grandfather. I am trying to find out who his parents are and where they came from. My father's 86 y/o cousin states that my grandfather Columbus Alexander Myers said we are Jewish descendants. Does anyone know anything about this?

Re: Searching for parents of Andrew Myers, b. 1766 in Fayette Co. PA

Terry Lee Reid (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2005 10:31PM GMT
Nancy:
I e-mailed you direct I don't know about jewish ancestors but I do Know Andrew Myers married Elizabeth Fox who was 1/2
SAC-FOX indian her mother was an Indian Princes of the SAC-FOX Nation her name was Emily and Emily's father was WHITE EYES Indian ChIef.
Terry Lee Reid songwriter@echoweb.net

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 4:12AM GMT
Hi, Terry-

I'd be interested in your documentation (proof) about the "Indian Princess." Many families have "lore" regarding an Indian Princess in their ancestry but it is merely that--lore. Native Americans didn't have princesses. So I'm wondering what evidence you have found regarding the Native American connection.

Thanks!

Joan

Terry Lee Reid (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2005 4:21AM GMT
Joan: Yes they did have Princes's Cat. John Smith fell in love with one BUT I won't argue the point e-mail me direct and I will send you the Indian link for my proff.
Terry Lee Reid songwriter@echoweb.net

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 5:53AM GMT
Terry-

It does no good for us to argue they did or they didn't--the WorldConnect file you referred me to just states the names and gives no sources or proof or even notes that explain where this information came from.

Please see the RootsWeb Guide lesson 25 here: http://www.rootsweb.com/~rwguide/lesson25.htm
and scroll down to the part about researching Native American heritage--note especially the comment about family "lore" about Indian Princesses in a family--this is nearly always a clue that the story is inaccurate.

I'm not attempting to state that there is or isn't Native American heritage in your family tree--merely asking for the evidence upon which you base the claims--and I haven't seen any evidence produced as yet.

Joan

Nancy J. (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2005 3:57PM GMT
Surnames: Myers
I also have heard that Emily Sac is the daughter of Chief White Eyes, although I haven't looked for "proof". I am just curious as to hearing recently about the Jewish link. My father Kelly Myers was a professional motorcycle racer from 1940-53, and was called the "Smiling Irishman", which I assume was due to his first name. I am interested in finding out more about Andrew Myers.

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 4:18PM GMT
I've been doing some Internet searches because this sort of intrigued me as to whether it was accurate or just a myth that got out of control and has been copied from one database to another other time.

I did find some very interesting stories about Chief WHITE EYES which you can find if you do a Google search on his name. The factual information I can find online indicates that the Chief WAS married and had a son named George MASON WHITE EYES who was among the first Native American graduates of Princeton University.

I find no information on the wife of Chief WHITE EYES or any other children he might have had. The Chief's actual "surname" is listed in several places as being Koquetakechton or Coquetakechton. I found no reference to the surname SAC as being connected to Native American surnames used in New Jersey (or anywhere else for that matter).

The only part of the story I can definitely say is inaccurate is the part about being an Indian Princess--since they didn't have royalty. However, so far, I've been unable to support or refute the rest of the story--and will consider it "lore" and unproven unless proof comes along. The most we can say definintely is that the Chief was married and did have at least one child.

Joan

creig (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2005 5:04AM GMT
dear joan....while you have a grand handle on the rest of the world, native american lore,legend on history you do not. Many a chief had daughters that were given special treatment but until
recently were not able to rule or take over from their fathers, only sons could if they proved themselves.....THERE ARE PRINCESS' and ROYALITY among the native american tribes. It even includes a heiachy between the different clans in the tribe. Study the native american history. creig

Posted: 30 Aug 2005 5:39AM GMT
Creig wrote: .....THERE ARE PRINCESS' and ROYALITY among the native american tribes. It even includes a heiachy between the different clans in the tribe. Study the native american history.

My reply: Are we talking LORE, LEGEND, or factual HISTORY that can be supported by evidence here? That is what I'm trying to do--separate myth and lore and stories (which are fine as long as they are identified as such) from proven fact (which is something else completely).

I don't claim to be an authority on Native American research--far from it--but I can read and I can search for evidence, and I can support based upon evidence that there was a Delaware Chief by the name of White Eyes and that he was married and had at least one son. I've yet to find any *evidence* that he had any daughters other than a few GEDCOMs floating around each apparently copied from one another--with no sources or proofs given to support the claims.

You state that Native Americans have royalty and Princesses--I've cited an authoritative source to support that they do NOT--what sources can you cite to show they do/did have royalty?

Joan

creig (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2005 5:55AM GMT
The native american people themselves....Just because they are not named in books as written by the "old masters" does'nt mean that it did not happen....talk with some native americans...an remember there history, if writen at all was destroyed because
"the only good indian is a dead one" They were not even considered good enough to be counted as property like slaves.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions