Search for content in message boards

Timmons, Spartanburg, South Carolina

Timmons, Spartanburg, South Carolina

Posted: 26 Oct 2003 11:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Aug 2004 12:12PM GMT
If you have reason to believe your family came from Spartanburg South Carolina, then go to this page.
<http://www.geocities.com/millhillboy99/timmons/Timmons2.html...;
If you have questions, please post on this forum, and I will answer to the best of my resources.

Re: Timmons, Spartanburg, South Carolina

Lloyd Ray Timmons, Sr. (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2003 6:56AM GMT
Surnames: Timmons
I tried to get to your geocities web page but the URL must be wrong. I would suggest that you copy the URL from your Address Window while you are on your web page, then paste it into your message. It should provide a live link that way.

Posted: 4 Nov 2003 9:13AM GMT
We Are The Chosen

My feelings are in each family there are those who seem called to find their ancestors. To put flesh on their bones and make them live again. To tell their story and to feel that somehow they know and approve. Doing genealogy is not a cold gathering of facts, but breathing life into all who have gone before us. They cry out: Tell our story. So, we do.

In finding them, we somehow find ourselves. How many graves have I stood before now and cried? I have lost count. How many times have I told my ancestors you have a wonderful family, you would be proud of us? How many times have I walked up to a grave and felt somehow there was love there for us? I cannot say.

It goes beyond just documenting facts. It goes to who we are and why we do the things we do. It goes to seeing a cemetery about to be lost forever to weeds and indifference and saying I can't let this happen. The folks here are bones of my bones and flesh of my flesh. It goes to doing something about it. It goes to pride in what our ancestors were able to accomplish. How they contributed to what we are today. It goes to respecting their hardships and losses. Their never giving up or never giving in.Their resoluteness to go on and build a life for their family.

With love and caring we record each fact of their existence. Because we are them and they are us. We might be born that we might remember them. So, we the chosen tell their story.

Lloyd Ray Timmons, Sr.

Posted: 4 Nov 2003 9:15AM GMT
THE ANCIENT HISTORY OF THE TIMMONS FAMILY

Since the Anglo/Norman invasion of Ireland in 1172, the history of the family named Timmons has been entwined in the legendry green tapestry of the Emerald Isle as surely as if the name had been native Irish.

Using works of legend and fact, researchers have compiled evidence using books by O'Hart, McLysaght,
O'Brien and other Irish historians as well as transcipts from the Book of Kells, the Falaise Rolls, Battel Abbey Rolls, the Wace poem, Irish parish records, family histories and ancient land grants. Their conclusions are that the first record of the name Timmons was found in the counties, Wicklow and Carlow from 1172.

The name Timmons, occurred in many references, but from time to time, the surname was also officially
recorded as Timmons, Timmins, O'Timmon, O'Timmons, Tymon, MacToimin, Tomlin, and these changes in spelling frequently occurred, even between father and son. It was not uncommon to be born with one spelling, married with another, and to have yet another recorded at his wake. The O' prefix, or Mc prefix, was dropped or assumed depending on the fashion of the time.

The ancient Milesian Kings, the legendary history of Ireland tells of the grandson of Breoghan, King of
Galicia, Andalucia, Murcia, Castile and Portugal, were the ancient progenitors of the Dalcassian race.
Milesius, the great general/king was instrumental in defending Egypt from the King of Ethiopia. In
gratitude, the Pharaoh of Egypt gave his daughter, Scota, to Milesius for his wife. Later, Milesius sent
his uncle northward from Spain with his own son Lughaidh to explore the western Isles. On finding that
his son had been murdered in Ireland by the three resident Kings (the Danans), Milesius gathered an
army to take revenge on the Irish. He died before he embarked on the trip. His remaining eight sons conquered Ireland and renamed it the land of the Scoti.

In 1172 A. D., Dermott McMurrough, in his fight for the position of Ard Righ, requested Henry ll for
assistance. Henry of England commanded the Earl of Pembroke, nicknamed Strongbow, to help Dermott
in his fight for the crown of Ireland. Strongbow recruited 2000 trained mercenaries of Norman, Welsh
or Cornish background from south Wales and sailed for Ireland. The battles against the untrained, badly
clad Irish were short, swift and sure, but, in the end, it was Henry and Strongbow who held the reins of
power in Ireland not Dermott McMurrough. Strongbow doled out to his army commanders much of the
confiscated Irish land in southern Ireland. Ironically, after several centuries, the invaders became as Irish
as the native families. Those Anglo/Norman surnames such as Burke, Fitzpatrick, Fitzgerald, Power,
Prendergast, Walsh, including the family named Timmons, became the backbone of the southern Irish
society.

The Norman invasion was followed by Cromwell's invasion in 1640, when further loss of land befell the
unfortunate Irish people, including the Anglo/ Norman settlers. Ulster in the north was seeded with
Protestant Scottish and English families. And, again, the sept of Timmons was amongst the great
Irish families to lose their ancient territories.

The now Irish family Timmons emerged in later years as a distinguished family in county Wicklow where
they were descended from the distinguished Barretts of county Cork. Timmon was derived from the Welsh
Thomas. and settled in Tirawley in county Mayo in the year 1172, after accompanying Strongbow, Earl
of Pembroke in his invasion of Ireland. In Wicklow and Carlow the name was sometimes McToimin,
and in Mayo the name was Tymon. Tomlin is also derived from the same source. Notable amongst the
family up to this time was Timmins of Tirawley.

In 1845, the great potato famine culminated several years of famine causing widespread poverty and
starvation, and the great exodus from Ireland began. Within fifty years the population was reduced to
less than half. Many joined the armada of sailing ships which sailed from Belfast, Dublin, Cork,
Holyhead, Liverpool and Glasgow, all bound to the new world. Some called these small ships the
"White Sails", others, more realistically, called them the "Coffin Ships", voyaging across the Atlantic
when 25 per cent of the passengers died at sea.

In North America, one of the first migrants which could be considered a kinsman of the sept Timmons
of that same family was Margaret Timmins from St. Mullens in Carlow who settled in St. John's,
Newfoundland, in 1819; Lawrence Timmons settled in Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, in 1822; Timothy
and Isabelle Timmons settled in New York in 1811; John Timmons settled in Boston in1764; Sarah
Timmins settled in Maryland in 1774; John Timmons arrived in Pennslyvania in 1773; Bartholomew
Timmings arrived in Philadelphia in 1834. These kinsman of the sept Timmons joined the earlier
Timmons who had already made the trip to the new world. There is a Timmins Bay and Timmins Lake
in Labrador, the city of Timmins is in Ontario, and the town of Timmonsville in South Carolina. Many
of the Timmons moved westward with the wagon trains, and settled the mid west, some trekking over
the Rockies to the west coast. Some remained loyal to the Crown during the American War of
Independence and moved north to Canada, becoming known as the United Empire Loyalist.

In current history, many prominent people represent the name, Timmons, and the family Timmons
continue to make an important contribution to the political and cultural life of the societies on both
sides of the Atlantic. You will find the Timmons in South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi,
Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, California, Oregon , as well as many other states, cities and towns across
America, Canada, and other countries.

A few words about prefixes: MAC is the Gaelic word for "son" and is sometimes written Mc, despite the
widely held notion that MAC is Irish and Mc is Scottish. Both are found in the two Gaelic national
tradition. O is really a word all by itself, signafying "grandson". The apostrophe that usually appears
after it is simply the result of a misunderstanding by English-speaking clerks in Elizabethian time, who
took it to be a form of the word "of". That other distinctively Irish prefix, Fitz, derives from the French word fils, meaning son.

The Primary Valuation Property Survey between 1848 and 1864 was conducted in Ireland in order to
produce the accurate information necessary for local taxation. The Tenement Act of 1842 provided for
a uniform valuation of all property in Ireland. It was based on the productive capacity of the land and
the potential rent of buildings. In this survey the names and town addresses of every landholder and
householder was listed. Two hundred and four Timmons families appeared on this survey. They were
listed in nineteen counties with most being in County Cavan, County Kilkenny, and County Dublin.
County Wicklow listed three Timmons families.

Lloyd Ray Timmons, Sr.

Geri Timmons (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2003 3:53AM GMT
I am a Timmons originally from charleston, South Carolina. My father however was raised in lake City. I have been research for quite some time and am currently 'stuck'. I know that gggggrandfather was born around 1742 in Worchester, Maryland, I can not seem to find out any thing further. Wondering if you have any information on William and Priscilla Timmins or a Matthias Timmons. I can not find the father of Matthias Timmons. I believe it maybe James the son of William and Priscilla but have been unsuccessful. Thank you for any and all information you may be able to send.

Posted: 3 Dec 2003 4:51AM GMT
I would like to help you but I don't know of any Timmons on the east coast. None of my family ever lived there.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions