Search for content in message boards

William and or Daniel Gillespie in upstate SC

William and or Daniel Gillespie in upstate SC

Posted: 21 Sep 2000 6:44AM GMT
Edited: 14 Sep 2003 4:29PM GMT
Ca.1875, there was a William (Gillespie)Jr. and Sr. living on Georges Creek in Pickens Co. SC. Also, a short time later, A William Gillepie living on Canoe Creek in Anderson Co. Daniel Gillespie nearby lived on Little Generostee Creek. Does anyone have info on any of these people?

William Gillespie

David J. Gillespie (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2001 9:53PM GMT
Your William Gillespie is the ggrandson of my gggggrandfather William Gillespie from Virginia(by way of Ireland)so will share any and all Gillespie information.My e-mail is gingerg@vvm.com

William Gillespie of Ireland

Posted: 27 Feb 2001 7:35AM GMT
Edited: 18 Oct 2001 10:31PM GMT
HiDavid,could you tell me where abouts in Ireland William was from before he left for America, the rough dates and if anyone travelled with him/went before him or followed him later...I am trying to make a connection but cannot find a positive link.If you click on my name on this reply it should give you any of my messages on the "Gillespie" board....I live in England am the last link with this particular "Gillespie" line...so it would be wonderful to find the long lost American link!!!!!......Many thanks in advance for any response.....Barbara(nee Gillespie)

Re:William Gillespie

Posted: 27 Feb 2001 7:59AM GMT
Edited: 14 Sep 2003 4:29PM GMT
For David Gillespie: Tried to contact you at the e-mail address you posted and it came back as undeliverable. Please contact me at jimmyg@innova.net. Several people would like to positively i.d. my William's father. I look forward to hearing from you.

William Gillespie

Posted: 27 Feb 2001 9:30AM GMT
Hi Barbara,My William Gillespie came from northren Ireland is all that i know for now,He had a brother named Robert,and the frist that i can find on them is in 1746 in Virginia (on the Cowpasture river)I am still looking for family(long tail kin)in Ireland,Scotland,England.Hope to hear from you again.
Thank you
David J. Gillespie
Killeen,Texas USA

Wm. Gillespie of the 1700's

Posted: 5 Mar 2001 11:17AM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 5:32PM GMT
Hello,

i am also doing research on the Gillespie Line. Do you know if your William had a son named Joseph or even another William? What names are his descendents? Our Wm. was born somewhere in NC (perhaps VA, since boundaries were changing) and married a Lavinia Castleberry in Spartanburg District of SC. Wm. was born in 1795. Descendents of his went to other areas of the South, including Georgia and Alabama. Many of us researchers are trying to find Wm's father (possibly a Joseph, but that is NOT proven), and mother, and the heritage beyond that. This Gillespie line is probably from the United Kingdom, back a generation or two, or even three. Thank you for your great help. I can share some information if needed.

Sincerely, Sue Gillespie

Wm.Gillespie

Posted: 5 Mar 2001 7:59PM GMT
my William Gillespie was b.abt 1720 in Northern Ireland,just were i am not sure.He died in aboout 1802 in Picken county S.Carolina,and he did have a son named William Gillespie jr. and i am still looking for jr. children

William Gillespie

Posted: 7 Mar 2001 8:08AM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 5:32PM GMT
Our Gillespies did move to Picken Co. also, and I am told that they had "cousins" there. This happened in the 1800's, after most were born in Spartanburg District, of SC. My husband is a William also, by the way. We may have a family tie. Please keep in touch.
Thank you for your quick response. Sue

Re: Children of William Gillespie of Cowpasture River

David Jones (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2002 12:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gillespie
Dear David -

I am descended from William Gillespie and Mary Clendenning, who are my 6g-grandparents. I have a book full of data (pictures, gravemarkers, obituaries, newspaper articles, etc) on William's son John and his descendants you are welcome to if interested.

John was a riflemaker in Transylvania County, North Carolina. My line goes through John, William, William Hansel, James Monroe, Leo Darby, then my living grandfather.

Is the Northern Ireland origin based on family word of mouth or something else?

Look forward to talking with you soon,
Dave

Re: Children of William Gillespie of Cowpasture River

Posted: 4 Dec 2004 5:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jun 2005 8:59PM GMT
Surnames: GILLESPIE, FISHER
My GILLESPIES originally came from Spartanburg & Transylvania Cty's in NC (near Ashville), AND later from Pickens & Oconee Counties in SC, later, GA (where BD was born) The family finally settled in TX ( & 2, OKLA ).

Benjamin Daniel GILLESPIE parents were Daniel Campbell GILLESPIE & Amanda HOLMES (my 4-G parents)

B.D. was b. October 7, 1835 in Troup County, GA & d. April 11, 1880. He m. Margaret Jane PALMER b. August 25, 1834 d. 1921. Both Benjamin Daniel & his wife are buried in Coryell County Texas,
Village of The Grove @ Flint Creek Cemetery.

GILLESPIE information "prior" to Benjamin Daniel GILLESPIE that I have was originally verbal (then written long before I was born & given to me 20-25 years ago ("story" format). Most information was told & written down by his wife & their children (birth/death family records).

The only other information that I have for the GILLESPIES, comes from military records, (Civil War Veteran's site) & a photo (copy of tin-type) of B.D. wearing his Confederate uniform & of course, the information from his double headstone.

The children of Margaret J. PALMER-GILLESPIE & Benjamin Daniel GILLESPIE were:

1. Amanda Elizabeth Ophelia GILLESPIE-BRAZZIL b 1859 d 1937**
2. T.L"Tallula"(Lula)GILLESPIE-STRICTLAND b 1860 d 1893**

3. Petrinella Jane GILLESPIE-FISHER (b. 12/ 1961 (Macon, GA d. 1941 in Bethany, Okla.) - buried in Hardeman Cty., TX (Chillicothe) next to her husband Jeptha Hester FISHER (MY G-Grands).

4. Leigh Daniel GILLESPIE b. 1869 d. 1945**
5. Infant son GILLESPIE b.& d. Sept. 27, 1872**
6. Bennie C. GILLESPIE b. 1873 & d. 1885 12 yrs. old **)

** All buried at Flint Creek Cemetery in Coryell County Tx. near parents.

Any thing sound familiar to you?

Linda in Texas
per page

Find a board about a specific topic