Search for content in message boards

Hendrickson, William...John....Leonard...1800 Kentucky

Hendrickson, William...John....Leonard...1800 Kentucky

Posted: 12 Jun 2003 9:10PM GMT
The 1800 census for Washington County, Kentucky lists William, John and Leonard Hendrickson. They are probably brothers and John would be my GGG Grandfather. Does anyone know where these gentlemen came from?

Re: Hendrickson, William...John....Leonard...1800 Kentucky

John Hendrickson (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2003 4:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Good question!! My family has been working on this one for about 50 years. We believe, however, they came from the area of Washington Co., Pennsylvania, south of Pittsburgh. It's been a while since I visited my fathers' lineage so I would have to go to a niece who has been diligently researching the Hendrickson's along this line.

The family "history" were that they were Dutch and were very tall people as a whole. My father was small at 5'11". My grandfather was 6'5", his father 6'5", and a great-uncle was a giant at 7'1". If your ancestors were tall (and big boned), we are probably related.

I'll see what I can find from the niece and leave another message or just contact on the email.

John Hendrickson

Posted: 6 Oct 2003 12:47PM GMT
Edited: 5 Dec 2005 8:45PM GMT
Thanks John....This may turn out to be the lead I have needed for the last 20 years. I have been chasing the line of Albertus Hendrickson for the past 5-6 years winding through Virginia and into North Carolina actually following the Separatist Baptist movement since a number of the family were named "Separate"...Looking forward to hearing from you...And, yes, my GGrandfather and Grandfather were big men. GGrandfather served in Civil War in 33rd Indiana Volunteers out of Shelbyville, IN.....James Hendrickson.

Jerri Conner (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2003 5:25PM GMT
Do you happen to know if these men migrated to Jefferson County or St. Louis County, Missouri? There was a William and John Hendrickson in the Jefferson County, MO 1830 census. Trying to find ancestors of Richard Hendrickson, born in KY or his father (name unknown, but guessing William or John) also from KY. Do not know which county in KY these men were from, but William and John as well as Richard are prominent names in this line of Hendrickson's.

Re: Hendricksons in Shelby Co IN

Sharon Mills (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2003 12:17AM GMT
Surnames: Hendrickson, Hendrixson, Tatum
James, I've studied the Shelby Co Hendricksons on 1850 IN census, looking for the elusive John Hendrixson with wife Catherine and daughter Rachel. Do you have a stray John Hendrixson in your group that I haven't been able to find? His daughter was in Tippecanoe Co c 1850 when she married William A Tatum.

Posted: 7 Oct 2003 4:44PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2007 3:06AM GMT
Surnames: Hendrickson/ck/x, Campbell, Moore and allied families
Hello:

I feel that your group(s) is/are somehow connected to my own.

I too have had a great deal of difficulty getting very far with my own Hendrix/cks/son family. Wonder if they were a secretive bunch?

The names: William, John, and Leonard are all used in my Great-great grandfather's immediate family. The Hendrix/ckson men in my own family (that I have seen pics of) were all big men; skinny and tall in their youth, and broader with age. The women were likewise what we would call "big boned" and tall.

Here is my family info and maybe you will see some similarity that will help you and me (there was a name/spelling change in between times):

William Hendrix/ckson (b) Abt 1827 in IN (d) Abt 1876
married 1st. abt 1844 to
Nancy Unknown (possibly Tipton?) (b) Abt 1828 in IN

Their children were:
James Hendrix/ckson (b) Abt 1844 in IN
Leonard (b) Abt 1848 in IN
Hannah (b) Abt 1851 in IN
John Tipton (b) 11 Aug 1855 in IN (d) 27 Sep 1938 Martin Co, IN
Susan (b) Abt 1857 in IN
Henry C. (b) Abt 1859 in IN

William 2nd. wife: Mary Ballard (b) KY (d) Bef 1880

Thier child:

Cutler H. (b) Abt 1876 in IN

Both William and Mary might have died when Cutler was a small child. He is shown in a 1880 Census living with William Golden Green household. I believe that Golden's wife Elizabeth was William Hendrickson/x's sister (b) Abt 1831 in KY.

Another possible sibling for William is Thomas (b) Ab

Re: Hendricksons in Shelby Co IN

Posted: 9 Oct 2003 9:28PM GMT
Sharon - Sorry, No John and Catherine....Have a John and Sarah who moved from Washington County, KY. to Shelby Co. IN. 1820 - 1840, left Shelby County in 1849 for Vermillion County, IN and vansihed from the face of the earth. Their son and Wife James H. who married a Givens and then a Billingsley...had a passel of kids with the latter, one of whom was my GreatGrandfather James Madison....I believe that William and wife Nancy (Moore) were the parents of John above. William and Nancy also had a passel of kids including John, William jr., Separate, Simion, James and others....John, James, and William jr. went to Shelby County, IN in about 1821. William, Leonard (his brother) and son John appear in the 1800 KY census and in other documents as early as 1792, but they must have been horse thieves, murderers or Tories because they left no trail as to where they came from. Since there were so may of the family and family friends who named their sons Separate, I have been researching the Separate Baptist movement which was popular in North Carolina in the 1750 - 1780 time frame, but have come up with nothing yet. Governor of NC, Tryon, scattered the Separatists in the 1770s so they could have fled anywhere...TN, GA, VA, KY....Lets stay in touch....JH

Posted: 9 Oct 2003 9:44PM GMT
Marsha - See my reply to Sharon.....There is a Richard in the time frame of my GGGrandfather (James H.) and believed to be his brother and the son of John and Sarah, but this Richard married a Givens the sister of James H.'s first wife. My Grandfather and GGrandfather were both tall "rawboned" men and my aunt was that way so the early people of my line were big and thought they were Dutch. Others in the line thought they were from Wales....Lets stay in touch....JH

Posted: 9 Oct 2003 9:53PM GMT
Jerri - See my reply to Marsha and Sharon...Also, none of my line ended up in the Saint Louis area that I know of. Many of them stayed in Shelby County and some are still there. My GreatGrandfather served in the Civil War with the 33rd Indiana Volunteers, married, and moved to Grant City, MO, my birth place, in the 1870s

Jerri Conner (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2003 12:22AM GMT
Sorry Marsha, I don't think we have a connection unless it goes back a couple more generations. My line came up to Missouri from somewhere in Kentucky around 1810-1820. My direct line moved to Kansas - then Texas after 1880. My 3rd great-grandfather, James Franklin Hendrickson had seven brothers, all of which served in the Civil War. Most of my line of men were around 5'11" to 6'. The story in our family is that the surname Hendrickson has always been spelled that way - never Hendrix or any of the other spellings and that were were Scotch-Irish. However, I have learned that stories are not always accurate and I should keep an open mind. Sorry we could not connect. If you have a picture of any of your male ancestors, I would love to compare it to a couple that I have. Email me if you have any and we can share our pictures. It would be interesting to see if there is any resemblance.
Jerri
per page

Find a board about a specific topic