Search for content in message boards

Newet Drew, Southampton, VA b. 1802

Newet Drew, Southampton, VA b. 1802

John Chaney (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2002 2:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Drew
This is an early family relative on my Mother's branch. Would appreciate further information - especially prior to 1802.

Re: Newet Drew, Southampton, VA b. 1802

Julia White (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2002 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: Drew / Newitt
My mom's family is Drew - we have a couple of Newitt's, but not one born in 1802 unless it was the sibling of Newitt James Drew - I have one listed as "Jewet" which is weird, but no birthdate or gender. Newitt James Drew (b. 1772) in Southhampton Co., VA had 5 siblings- Newitt moved down to Overton, in Webster Parish, LA - - Overton became Minden, LA, (about 30 miles east of Shreveport.) He ran a grist mill there...

His parents were in Southhampton Co., VA - including Newitt James' father, Jeremiah (d. 1784) and Jeremiah's father was also Newitt, born about 1707 (his father was Edward who married Frances Newitt, thus the source).

Does any of that match up with anything you have?

john chaney (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2002 11:41PM GMT
After reviewing information about my mother's Newit Drew, specifixcally that his daughter, Mary Louise Drew married Arthur N. Jordan 16 Mar., 1820, this Newit Drew had to have been born a bit earlier than 1802. Can't imagine where I came up with the 1802 date. His daughter's marriage records are from official sources. His wife, Lucy P. Drew, was in Mississippi at the time of her death - near Vicksburg. It's interesting that there were so many Newits in Southampton, VA at that time and quite a few Drews moved to the deep south around the same time. Sorry if I muddied the water.

Julia White (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2002 12:49AM GMT
Surnames: Drew
No problem - my mom always said we ended up in Minden because when the Drews came down from Virginia, that's where the horse died. good luck with your research!

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 2:33AM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2015 2:41PM GMT
There was no Newitt James Drew. There were two brothers, Newitt and James Drew. James married Winifred Boykin c1799 in Southampton where he died c1808.His widow moved to Northampton Co., NC after 1830, where she died in 1846. His brother Newitt married Sally Maxwell 7 Jul 1799 in Wilson Co., TN where at least 8 of their 11 children were born before they moved to Claiborne Parish, Louisiana in 1818.

Posted: 8 Feb 2015 4:41PM GMT
The Newitt Drew that married Lucy Priscilla Westbrook on 10 Aug 1821 in Southampton was born c1803 in Southampton and died in 1846 in Shelby Co., TN. Newitt and Lucy had no daughter named Mary Louisa. The lived in Southampton until 1840 and Lucy took the children to Mississippi after Newitt died in 1846. If you are quoting a Southampton Marriage Record for this Mary Louise, that index was compiled from various marriage bonds, parental consent forms, ministers returns, etc so what got put in the compiled index is NOT accurate. So if a Newitt Drew was named as a parent, he could just as well have been some other relation, or just a witness. This Newitt Drew had no known sister named Mary Louise, though his father James had a sister Mary born before 1784. The compiled Southampton Marriage Index is very inaccurate.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic