Search for content in message boards

Edward Bates

Edward Bates

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 2:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bates, Thompson
Edward Bates born approx 1843, Leicestershire, England, Grazier. Married UK ?, 4 children, Ethel Emily, Catherine?, Evelyn Maree, Ellen,then married Sidwell Emily Bates, nee Thompson, Adelaide, Australia, possible around 1875. They had a son Edward John who died, & a daughter, Emily Sidwell Riverina Bates, born September 1883.
I am trying to trace Edward line in UK,. Can you help?

Re: Edward Bates

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 9:11AM GMT
Hi,
Can only find one born in Leicestershire to a George and Hannah Bates,the family disappear after the 1851 census so maybe they went to Australia?Think you need to search for a marriage and childrens births in Australia.His marriage should help with his fathers name and occupation then we might be able to 'prove' the one in Leicestershire is yours.

Regards

Sandra

Re: Edward Bates of Leicestershire

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 9:36AM GMT
If you are right about his time and place of birth then the only one showing in the IGI in Familysearch is
Edward BATES baptised 20 Nov 1842 to George BATES & Hannah, Horninghold LEI, batch C095841.

Of course there may be other baptisms not included in the IGI.

Other BATES children in that batch with father called George and mother called Hannah are:
George 19 Jan 1845
John 13 Mar 1848

Those births could be checked on FreeBMD and birth certificates obtained.
There is a Tree on Ancestry which suggests that George married Hannah HOLMES in 1842 in Horninghold. This will be on FreeBMD marriage indexes and may be on the Leicestershire County web site. I know little of the county - maybe the post should be moved to there.

In 1851 the family are in Horninghold. No sign after that so maybe they emigrated between then and 1861.
1851 census Ho107-2093 Folio 183
George BATES Head Mar 30 Labourer LEI Horninghold
Hannah do Wife Mar 32 LEI Church Langton
Edward do Son 8 LEI Horninghhold
George do Son 6 LEI do
John do Son 3 LEI do
Mary Jane Daur 3m (or 8mo) LEI do

I suggest you look through the passenger lists for the family between 1851 and 1861.

Bryan

Re: Edward Bates of Leicestershire

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 11:01PM GMT
Surnames: Bates
Thankyou to you both for your advice & comments, will foolow through & see how we get on

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 11:34AM GMT
Looking for any info on a Catherine Bates, I think her parents names are George and Annie Bates nee (Holmes) Catherine Bax nee (Bates) had 3 boys and 1 girl my grandmother, Rebecca Evelyn Bax. They settled in the Childers,Apple Tree Creek Qld Area. Any info would be great .

Karen Fawke
Email: kfawke@bigpond.com

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 4:14AM GMT
Sorry I am also trying to go backwards, save to say Edward was my great grandfather, grandmother Emily Sidwell Riverina, the reply is so long winded because we have been travelling. The only other info I have at this stage, is some Bates in the Horningbold Church graveyard

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 4:27AM GMT
Birth Certificate of Emily Sidwell RiverinaBates, gives father Edward Bates, Grazier, Leicestershire England, wife Sidwwell emily Bates, formerly Thompson. & then 34 Cape Colony, as the parents

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 3:21AM GMT
Edward Bates B 1843 Horninghold,Liecestershire, D 1886 Milparinka,NSW, Australia.Married Fanny Wilce, 1872, Victoria Australia, & had 4 Children-Catherine, Ethel,Ellen, Evelyn, after that?
Married Sidwell Emily Thompson, 1880 Adelaide Australia. had 2 children,Edward John, & Emily Sidwell Riverina Bates( my grandmother), born Australia 1883, died 1963.
It seems Edward Bates Father was George Edward Bates, Mother Hannah Bates/nee holmes, Arr australia 1853, other than Edward they had, Sarah, Mary, Goerge & John.
Hannah it seems was born in Church Langdon,Leicestershire & died Queensland Australia. Will continue to explore & hope that some one out there can help to fill in more gaps
I know 2 people tried to contact me also some months back & stupidly I deleted your messages, sorry

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 10:06AM GMT
Surnames: Bates/Holmes.
George and Hannah Bates nee Holmes are my ancestors, they were my gg grandparents, their daughter Catherine was my great grandmother, Edward from Miparinka was her elder brother, the Bates Family imigrated from Horinghold to Australia in 1852. Catherine was born in NSW, in Deniliquin in 1862. She married a Thomas James Prunty at Milparinka in 1882. They had 2 children boys. I do not know what happen to Thomas Prunty as I can not find any death certificate, anyway Catherine later married a John Bax who is my great grandfather and they settled in Apple Tree Creek Qld and had a further 4 children 3 boys and 1 girl Rebecca my grandmother. Catherines parents Hannah and George and her brothers took up pastorial leases and they lived at Tickalara Qld, George my gg grandfather disappeared on the property one day and the family searched for weeks to no avail, so there is not any death date, after that the lease were sold to Sir Sydney Kidman and the Bates family went to live with relatives at Boompa Cattle Station in Queensland, Sarah Bates married John Bates there but they had no chilren but raised Sarah's brother's George Bates Junior, 3 children after both their parents died. If you would like any more info just send me an email or my public family tree is on Ancestry.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic