I came across your email and thought perhaps you might have run across some of my relatives. I have tried to make connections over the years with someone who might know of our Scottish and Irish relatives. I hit the usual brick wall and am stuck. Family lore has it that we came from Ireland –7 brothers…but ? no sisters seems so unlikely. Later I found out that we are actually Scotch-Irish and that we may have had distant relatives in Hunterston. In fact, in one report that I read (whether true or not) it noted that all Hunters come from Hunterston. Apparently there were several Hunter sons and at least one of them went to Ireland and from him came our family. I am not sure if this is Thomas. I know of 7 Hunter brothers who came from Ireland whose father was likely Thomas (i.e., according to records written by Richard Webb a relative of the Hunter family from Sterling Valley, New York) and I am guestimating that he was born abt 1770 In ? Scotland and then abt 1780 went to Antrim, Ireland where it has been written that he had a large estate 15 miles NW of Belfast. I do not know what his wife’s name was but their children included:
I. William Hunter
II. James Hunter
III. David Hunter
IV. John Hunter
V. Fletcher Hunter
VI. Thomas Hunter born in 1818 and remained single
VII. Alexander born 1828-1832 or so –youngest and my direct line back
I. William Hunter b 1790 in Newton, Tyrone County, Ireland and died on 3 November 1847 in Cayuga County. He married Nancy Ann Simpson who was also born in Ireland in 1787, died in 1861, and was buried in Conquest Cemetery in New York State, USA.
Children of William and Nancy Ann Simpson
(1) David Hunter b 1809 died in 1853 Married to Ann b in 1807 and died in 1861
(2) Robert Hunter b 1810 died 1810 in Ireland
(3) Twin A
(4) Twin B ? names or dob
(5) Hugh Hunter b in 1813 in Ireland (farmer) died in 1888 married Sally Daratt b in 1817 died in 1878
Hugh and Sally’s children:
(1) David E. Hunter b 1836 in Victor, NY, USA; died in 1904 and buried in Union Hill Cato Cemetery.. US Federal Census for 1879 he was in Cato, Cayuga County, NY, USA. He married Martha
F. Jennie VanAernum b in 1835 and died in 1900; also buried in Union Hill Cemetery. They had 2 children :
(1) Willis A Hunter b in 1861 in NY State, USA and died in 1933; married Annie M. Allen b in same yr and ? died in same yr as her husband.
(2) Hugh V. Hunter b in 1871 in NY State, USA and died in 1938; he married Mary J. Marvin who was b in 1878 in NYS, USA and died in 1957; burial in Union Hill Cemetery
Hugh and Mary’s child
(1) Hugh W Hunter b in 1908 and died in 1943 in Cato, Cayuga County, New York State, USA. He is buried in the Union Hill cemetery next to David E.
Hunter. Hugh W Hunter married Genevieve May Ware who was born in 1914. (2 children)
(2) Cynthia Ann Hunter b in 1838 in NY, USA died in 1869 with burial in Union Hill cemetery. She married Julius Rufus Allen b in 1835 and died on Feb 1883 at 58 yrs of age; burial Union Hill
(3) Edward H born in 1840 died 27 Jan 1841 burial UHC
(4) Matthew M. Hunter born 5 Aug 1842 in Victor, NY died in 1907 and burial UHC Married twice
(5) James B. Hunter born 16 Aug 1844 in NY, USA and died 12 Feb 1915; burial UHC
(6) Virginia Hunter born 6 September 1847 in Cayuga County, NY, USA and died 4 Dec 1925; burial UHC
(7) Francisco (Frank) Hunter born in 1850 in Cato, Cayuga County, NY, USA and died 30 April 1892; burial UHC
(8) Alice Amelia Hunter born and died in 1849 the latter on April 4th; burial in Brick Church Cemetery (1 month and 19 days of age)
Children of Wm and Nancy Ann Continued from above:
(6) Matilda Hunter born in 1822 in Ireland and died in 1870; Burial in Conquest cemetery in Cayuga County, NY, USA
(7) Matthew Hunter born in 1824 in Ireland died on 31 Mar 1882; Burial Conquest Cemetery in Cayuga County, NY, USA
(8) Thomas Hunter born 18 Dec 1828 in Ireland died 26 June 1897 : burial ? Conquest Cemetery, Cayuga County, NY, USA
(9) Reverend William hunter Jr. born in 1837 in Ireland unknown date of death ; he married Mary E Norris
(10) Eliza I. Hunter born in 1839 in Weedsport, NY, USA and died in same place married David
II. James C. Hunter Sr. born in 1796 in Ireland died 4 Nov 1851 in Sterling Valley, Cayuga County, NY, USA. Arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on April 1, 1820 from Belfast, Ireland. 1812 his Native land of Ireland Town of Antrim, halfway from Belfast to Ballymana where he grew up. First to come to USA. He married Isabella A. Crockett who was born in 1795 in Ireland and died 24 June 1882 in Sterling , NY; Burial in Sterling or Mt. Pleasant Cemetery at the age of @ 87.
III. David Hunter born June 1845 in ? NY, USA and died in 1921 Wolcott, Wayne County, NY. He married Clara B who was born Apr 1852 in Red Creek, NY and died in 1925 in Wolcott, Wayne County, NY. They were both buried in UHC in Cato, NY, USA
IV. John Hunter born in 1808 in Tyrone County, Ireland and died 5 march 1885 in Brutus, Cayuga County, NY, USA married First Cynthia Marie Jones aka Marie, born in 1821 in Essex County, NY, USA and died in 1892 Burial in Weedsport Rural Cemetery.
V. Fletcher Hunter born 24 may 1816 in NY, USA and died 8 May 1876 in Cato, NY married Fanny C. Robinson Martin born 8 Sept in NY, USA and died 25 May 1900 ? Lacross, Wisconsin, USA
VI. Thomas Hunter born in 1818 in Ireland Died in 1879; Buried in Bethel cemetery.
VII. Alexander Hunter born between 1828 – 1832 in Newton, Tyrone County, Ireland and died 12 December 1876 in Cato, NY, USA; Burial in UHC. As the last to arrive in the US he did so on 5 May 1851 in New York. Departure was Belfast, Ireland. He married Ellen who was also born in Ireland in 1840 and she died ? year in Cato, NY; burial in UHC
Children of Alexander and Ellen Hunter (3)
(1) Charles Clinton Hunter born abt 1858 and died abt 1859
(2) Charles B. Hunter born abt 1859 and died abt 1860 in Cato, Cayuga County, New York, USA
(3) Charles D. Hunter born in 1858 in Ireland died in 1935 in Cato, Cayuga County, NY, USA. He married (first) Sarah M. Mills born in 1857 in New York State and died there in 1894. He remarried a woman called Belle (? Last name of McKee) born n 1870 in NY, USA and died in 1953 in Weedsport, NY, USA. Charles D. and Ellen Hunter had Irving Hunter (my paternal grandfather) born on 11 September, 1891 in Cato, Cayuga County, New York, USA and died in May of 1968 at his home in Weedsport, New York. He had married Lena M. Groot (my paternal grandmother) who was born on 18 Dec 1893 in New York (while growing up lived one county over from Cayuga County). She died in Nov 1978 while a patient in Auburn Memorial Hospital: Mesenteric occlusion. My grandfather Irving and grandmother Lena are buried close by several Hunter relatives. My father is buried directly across from their burial plot in the cemetery.
Children of Irving and Lena:
(1) David Charles Hunter (my father) born 10 July 1916 in Cato, NY and died on 27 June 1990 at his home in Fulton, NY. He was first married to a woman named Pearl (? Last name) . She was born about 1916 in NY. Married about 3 years. Second wife of my father was Constance Francis St. Phillips. She was born on 5 October 1920 in ? Volney, NY. She died recently on March 11, 2008 on the day of her sister Carmella St. Phillips Warner’s birthday. This occurred in Auburn, NY, USA. My parents had 4 children.
(2) Leslie Hunter born 28 April 1918 in Cato, Cayuga County, NY and died May 1981 in Weedsport, NY. He married Beverly Boughton who was born in 1921.
(3) Ralph Hunter born on 25 June 192 in Cato, NY and died 9th may 2007 in Weedsport, NY. He married- first Lila E. McFall and 2nd Vern (unknown last name)
(4) Winfield Hunter born 27 March 1925 and died 27 March 1993 in Cato, NY.
(5) Arthur Hunter born 18 Nov 1927 in Cato, NY and died 23 June 1998 in Weedsport, NY
(6) Sarah M. Hunter Buettner born in 1923 in Cato, NY and died 7 Jan 2001 in Sodus, Wayne County, NY, USA. She married August J. Buettner born on 12 May 1920 and died 22 December in Sodus, Wayne County, NY.
I understand this is lengthy however I am trying to give you as much information as I can to help out. As I peruse different family trees or history sometimes I find my relatives in unexpected places. I am also working with the Sterling Town historian, Halley Sweeting. She said that the Hunter family from Sterling, NY came first out of Washington County – Orange County. There certainly must be a connection but I cannot find it. I have located all of the relatives listed above but am unable to get back into Ireland or Scotland because there are so many Hunters. Some of the information that I have been given –taken from family bibles etc. appears to be incorrect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Judith Hunter Fager