These are common names from Luxembourg, but I'm excited about the possibility of matching your my Hubert and Theodore Esch with a missing brother Henrich to your two missing brothers and gg grandfather Henry.
As you'll see from the information below - I have a little more information about the parents - John and Elizabeth Esch. I also have traced over 500 descendants of Hubert and Margaretha Esch. They are my gg grandparents.
Let's see if we can match this family up!
1. JOHN BAPTIST ESCH1.
JOHN BAPTIST ESCH had the following children:
+2 i. JOHN BAPTIST ESCH.
2. JOHN BAPTIST ESCH was born on 13 Jul 1813 in PRATZ, NARAS, LUXEMBOURG.
ELIZABETH KOCH (daughter of RICHARD KOCH and ANNA KUNSCH) was born in 1810 in WILTZ, LUXEMBOURG (HOLLAND, GERMANY). She died on 15 Oct 1877 in CALEDONIA, HOUSTON, MN.2 JOHN BAPTIST ESCH and ELIZABETH KOCH had the following children:
+3 i. HUBERT ESCH.
4 ii. HEINRICH ESCH was born on 3 May 1826. He (or she) died on 28 Mar 1953.
+5 iii. THEODORE ESCH.
6 iv. ANNA MARIE ESCH was born on 5 Dec 1829. She died on 30 Dec 1832.
KATHREINE PEIFFER died on 11 Mar 1819. JOHN BAPTIST ESCH and KATHREINE PEIFFER had the following children:
7 i. HEINRICH ESCH.
8 ii. NIKOLAUS ESCH was born in 1803. He (or she) died on 11 Mar 1819.
9 iii. MICHEL ESCH was born in 1806. He died on 22 Dec 1809.
10 iv. MICHEL ESCH was born on 20 Oct 1807. He died on 19 Mar 1809.
11 v. JOHANN ESCH was born on 21 Sep 1809. He (or she) died on 17 Dec 1809.
12 vi. MICHEL ESCH was born on 21 Sep 1809. He died on 25 Dec 1809.
13 vii. ANNA MARIE ESCH was born on 22 Jun 1811. She died on 14 Dec 1811.
14 viii. JOH MICHEL ESCH was born on 13 Jul 1813.
15 ix. JOHANN ESCH was born on 23 Jun 1818. He died on 19 Jul 1818.
He was married to KATHERINE LAMBERT on 18 Jun 1821.
3. HUBERT ESCH was born on 2 May 1826 in PRATZ, LUXEMBOURG.3,4 Hubert's tombstone shows his birth date as 1825. He was christened on 16 May 1826 in BETTBORN, LUXEMBOURG.5 The church certification of the baptism of Hubert Esch shows he was born in Pratz May 2, 1926, to John Baptish Esch and Elizabeth Koch. Sponsors were Hubert Hauzen of Wichten and Anna Marie Koch of Wiltz. He owned Family Bible in 1856 in PRATZ, LUXEMBOURG.6 The family bible engraved with Hubert Esch's name has been passed down from generation to generation to the oldest son. The bible belonged to Peter Esch, Hubert Esch (grandson), and is currently owned by Ken Esch. The bible traveled with the family from Luxembourg to Minnesota. He immigrated in 1859 to NEW YORK, NEW YORK.7 He was a Farmer in 1859 in MAYVILLE TWP, HOUSTON, MN. He owned Land on 1 Apr 1861 in MAYVILLE TWP, HOUSTON, MN.8 T. 102, Section 27, Range 5, 2 Acres T. 102, Section 29, Range 5, 40 Acres He served in the military in 1864 in ST. PAUL, RAMSEY, MN.9 Hubert Esch served in the MN Infantry A5 unit during the civil war from Dec 1864- Nov 1865 according to his application for invalid pension filed on May 28, 1883 and received by the Pension Office in the Department of the Interior on June 6, 1883. Hubert's invalid pension application indicates he contracted rheumatism during in Nashville, Tenn. The pension office requested full military history to review the files.
He writes in his application:
Declaration for Original Invalid Pension MUST be executed before a court of record or some officer thereof having custody of its seal. State of Minnesota, County of Houston, 88. On this 28th day of March, A.D. one thousand eight hundred and eighty three personally appeared before me a clerk of dstrict court, a court of record within and for the County and State aforesaid, Hubert Esch, aged 55 years, a resident of Mayville Township, County of Houston where streets are named and houses are numbered, give name of street and number of house. If you reside in the countyr, state how many miles from nearest Post Office.) State of Minn, who, being duly sworn according to law, declares that he is the identical Hubert Esch who entered service under the name of Hubert Esch on or about the...day of Dec, 1864 as Private in the company "A" of the 5 regiment of Minn Inf commanded by N. H. Dorsey (captain) and was honorably DISCHARGED at Fort Snelling Minn on or about the .... day of Nov, 1865 by reason of the close of war; that his personal description is as follows, Age, 55 years; height, 5 feet 8 inches; complexion fair; hair, gray; eyes, blue. That while a member of the organization aforesaid, in the service and in the line of his duty at near Nashville, in the State of Tenn, on or about the ... day of Dec, 1864, he contracted rheumatism nature of disease, or the location of the wound or injury. If disabled by disease, state fully its causes; if by wound or injury, the precise manner in location is in the back and hand - which is crippled caused by long march after the battle of Nashville, Tenn and camping in the mud at New Orleans and building breact works at Spanish Fort and marching from Spanish Fort to Montgomery. That he was treated in hospitals as follows: by Regimental Surgeon (Here state the names or numbers and the locatlities of all hospitals in which treated and the dates of treatment. Since discharged, I have been doctored by Dr. Gates of Winona, Minn, Dr. Mrs. Mary MIller, Dr. O'Connor, Dr. Koenig and Dr. Mark and have derived more or less relief from them. That he has not been employed in the military or naval service otherwise than as stated above. That since the ... day of Nov, AD 1865, he has not been employed in the military of naval service of the United States. That since leaving the service this applicant has resided in the town of Mayville, Houston County, in the State of Minn and his occupation has been that of a farmer. That prior to his entry into the service above named he was a man of good, sound, physical health, being when enrolled a farmer. That he is now nearly wholly disabled form obtaining his subsistence by manual labor by reason of his injuries above described, received in the services of the United State; and he therefore makes this declaration for the purpose of being placed on the invalid pension rol of the United States. He hereby appoints, with full power of substitution and revocation George E. Lemon, of Washington D. C., his true and lawful Attorney, to prosecute his claim. That he has never received nor applied for a pension. That his Post-office Address is Caledonia county of Houston, State of Minn Claimant's Signature - Hubert Esch.
Signed by two witnesses: CS Trask Peter Zenner.
General Affidavit State of Minnesota, County of Houston, In the matter of the Pension Claim of Hubert Esch late private, Co., A. 5th Minn. Infantry. Personally came before me, a clerk of district court in and for aforesaid County and State, Hubert Esch, age 58 years, at Mayville Twp, Houston Co., Minn, Whose PO address is Caledonia, Minn persons of lawful age, who, being duly sworn, declare in relation to aforesaid case as follows:
I can not give or furnish medical evidence of regimental surgery, Dr. Kenedy or Dr. Leonard for the reason that I do not know where they live. I can not furnish medical evidence showing freedom from disease of rheumatism prior to my enlistment for the reason that I was not troubled with rheumatism or any other disease at that time, and farther that I had no doctor attend me prior to enlistment for any disease. I cannot furnish medical evidence to show the existence of rheumatism upon my return from the army in 1865 and there after farther than that of Dr. McKinna - which is herewith furnished for the reason that doctors who attended me for rheumatism after my return from the army - to wit: Doctors Sec. and O'Connor are dead. and Doctors Koenig and Mrs Mary Miller have moved away to Nebraska or some other state which is unknown to me. He further declares that he is the claimant in said case. Signature of Hubert Esch.
Jean Schantzgen and John Schauls wrote in support of his claim:
I will be 79 years old the 14th of next month, Live in Mayville, Houston County, Minnesota and my post office address is Caledonia, this county. Have known Hubert Esch for over twenty five years last past. I live within half a mile from Esch and have lived here on the same place since I came into the county - since 1856. Before Mr. Esch went to the war, I was well acquainted with him and he was a good sound man, but when he came back he was disabled and incapable of doing manual labor. I have worked with Mr. Esch and know him well and of my own knowledge he is not and wasn't the man when he returned from the war that he was when he went as regards his ability to do actual labor. He doesn't do and is incapable of doing half of an able bodied man's work and doesn't do as much work as myself, who am 79 years old about am a farmer.
John Schauls says he is 30 years of age and resides in Mayville in the aforesaid county and am a farmer. My post office address is Caledonia, Minn. Have known Mr. Esch for about twenty one years. Before he went to the war, I remember he was a hard working man, and afterwards he had a sore hand and hasn't done much of any hard work for a good many years. Have worked for him at times lives within half a mile of him. Has been a near neighbor of him for the last twenty five years. Has seen him when he couldn't stic his hand, feed unable to do anything, I don't consider him able to do half of an able bodied man's work and doesn't actually do much of anything in consequence of his disability and we further declare that we have no interest in said case, and are not concerned with its prosecution. He owned Land on 26 Feb 1864 in HOUSTON CO, MN.10 He appeared on the census in 1875 in MAYVILLE TWP, HOUSTON, MN.11 Hubert Esch is found on the 1875 Minnesota state census in household 50. He is listed as Herbert Esch, age 52, male, white. His birthplace and that of both parents is identified as Luxemburg. He is shown with his wife, Margaretha and children: Elizabeth (1), Catharine (1), Peter, Catharine (2), Mary, Elizabeth (2), and Josephine. The nativity of all of the children is identified as Luxemburg. He appeared on the census in 1880 in MAYVILLE TWP, HOUSTON, MN.12 Soundex shows Hubert, age 61 living with wife Margaret Age 47. Birthplace is listed as Luxembourg. He appeared on the census in 1895 in CALEDONIA, HOUSTON, MN.13 Hubert Esch can be found on the 1895 census in household 201 in Caledonia. The listing shows Esch, Hubert age 74. He is identified as a male, white, and born in Germany. The census record shows he has resided in MN for 36 years 0 months. He also indicated he has resided in Caledonia the last 4 years. Hubert is listed with his wife, Margaret, age 64. He was naturalized on 23 Feb 1897 in CALEDONIA, HOUSTON, MN.14 Witnesses included Thos Ryan and George N. Blexrud (Sheriff). He appeared on the census in 1900 in CALEDONIA, HOUSTON, MN. He celebrated a 50th wedding anniversary on 6 Mar 1906 in CALEDONIA, HOUSTON, MN.15 He appeared on the census in 1910 in CALEDONIA, HOUSTON, MN.16 Hubert is listed as age 85 and living with his wife, Margaret, age 76. They indicated they had been married for 55 years. Margaret is listed as mother of eight of which six were still living. He died on 10 Dec 1910 in MAYVILLE TWP, HOUSTON, MN.17 He was buried on 12 Dec 1910 in CALEDONIA, HOUSTON, MN.18 Hubert Esch is buried at Calvary Cemetery in Caledonia, MN.
He was married to MARGARITHA LOESCH (daughter of NICOLAS LOESCH and SUSAN FORD) on 6 Mar 1856 in BETTBORN, LUXEMBOURG.19,20,21,15 MARGARITHA LOESCH22 was born on 14 Jan 1834 in BUSCHRODT, LUXEMBOURG. She appeared on the census in 1880 in MAYVILLE TWP, HOUSTON, MN.23 She appeared on the census in 1900 in CALEDONIA, HOUSTON, MN.24 She appeared on the census in 1910 in CALEDONIA, HOUSTON, MN.25 Margaretha was listed in the 1910 census as the wife of Hubert Esch at age 76. She is identified as the mother of 8 children of whom six were still living. They were married 55 years. She died on 2 Jun 1912 in CALEDONIA, HOUSTON, MN. Listed as wife of Hubert Esch in widow's pension application filed on December 10, 1910. HUBERT ESCH and MARGARITHA LOESCH had the following children:
16 i. LOUISA ESCH was born in DIED YOUNG.
+17 ii. ELIZABETH ESCH.
18 iii. KATHERINE ANNA ESCH was born on 24 Jun 1860.
+19 iv. PETER ESCH.
+20 v. KATHERINE MARIE ESCH.
+21 vi. MARY ESCH.
+22 vii. ELIZABETH ESCH.
+23 viii. JOSEPHINE ESCH.
+24 ix. JOHN ESCH.
5. THEODORE ESCH26 was born on 4 Feb 1827 in HOLLAND, GERMANY.27 He died on 18 Oct 1903 in ?, HOUSTON, MN. IMMIGRATED ?? CIVIL WAR PRIVATE
1890 MN VENTERANS CENSUS INDEX
ESCH, THEODORE MN HOUSTON CAL SUPERVISOR'S DISTRICT 1, ED 144
GENERAL INDEX TO PENSION FILES 1961 - 1934 LDS FILM T288 ROLL NO 144 ERB,
HARLEY - ESTOVER, GEORGE WG
ESCH, THEODORE F 10 MN INF. 1873 JUNE 8 INV . 204892, 178811
Army Discharge reads:
To whom it may concern:
Know ye, that Theodore Esch, Privet of Captain James Gorman's company, (F)
Tenth Regiment of Minnesota Infentery volunteers who was enrolled on the
Fifteenth day of August one thousand eight hundred and Sixty-two to serve
three years or during the war, is herby Discharged from the service of the
United States this Nineteenth day of August, 1865, at Fort Snelling
Minnestoa by reason of telegram from AGO dated August 11 (no objection to
his being re-enlisted is known to exist.)
Said privet Theodore Esch was born in New Holland in Germany, is twenty
four years of age, Five feet eight inches high, fair complexion, dark
eyes, dark hair, and by occupation, when enrolled, a farmer.
Given at Fort Snelling MN this Nineteenth day of August 1865.
He was married to BARBARA KLUG on 25 Jul 1887 in CALEDONIA, HOUSTON, MN.28 BARBARA KLUG was born in 1832.29 Marriage certificate in 1887 identifies age as 55
1. Esch Family Tree, 1989, By Margie Esch Bratland.
2. HOUSTON COUNTY DEATH REGISTER
BOOK A, PAGE 46, LINE 9.
3. BETTBORN PASTORATE BAPTISM CERTIFICATE. Hubert Esch was born to John Baptist Esch and Elizabeth Koch. Sponsors were Hubert Hauzen of Wichten and Anna Marie Koch of Wiltz.
5. Copy of baptism record from Bettborn Pastorate in Luxembourg. Copy found
in the Esch Family Tree, published in 1989 by Margie Esch Bratland.
6. Esch Family Bible.
7. HOUSTON COUNTY CLERK OF COURTS. NATURALIZATION RECORDS LDS FILM 1,316,890 MN, HOUSTON CO., NATURALIZATION
AND CITIZENSHIP 1895-1905. PAGE 244, BOOK ?
FOUND IN FIRST INDEX ON FILM.
8. HOUSTON COUNTY CLERK OF COURTS. BOOK N, Page 569 570.
9. GENERAL INDEX TO PENSION FILES 1861-1934 Erb, Harley - Estover, George W.G. Invalid Pension File Application Number 478,913 Certificate 387,171.
10. HOUSTON COUNTY CLERK OF COURTS. Book S, Page 234.25 1 Acre Land.
11. 1875 MN STATE CENSUS. Page 305, Mayville Twp.
12. 1880 SOUNDEX, SURNAME E200. FED CENSUS. ED 109, Volume 7, Sheet 22, Line 338? Guess based on daughters listing.
13. 1895 MN State Census. Page 3, Caledonia, 1895 MN State Census.
14. LDS MICROFILM, HOUSTON COUNTY NATURALIZATION INDEX, RECORDS.
15. The Luxembourg Gazette was published in IA as a means of sharing information about families between Luxembourg and the United States.
16. US Bureau of Census. 1910 FED CENSUS, MN, Houston County. Houston County, Caledonia Village, ED 65, Sheet 6A.
17. HOUSTON COUNTY DEATH REGISTER
BOOK C, PAGE 45, LINE 15.
18. TOMBSTONE. Calvary Cemetery located at:.
19. BETTBORN PASTORATE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE. The marriage certificate of Hubert and Margaretha Loesch Esch. The couple was married March 6, 1856. Witnesses were Mathis Hertges of Haten and Niesla Schmit of Pratz.
20. The Luxembourg Gazette was published in IA as a means of sharing information about families between Luxembourg and the United States. 1906.
21. Copy of Marriage Certificate, Esch Family Tree, 1989, by Margie Esch
22. GENERAL INDEX TO PENSION FILES 1861-1934 Erb, Harley - Estover, George W.G. Application number 953,945 received certificate number 715,544 in MN.
23. 1880 SOUNDEX, SURNAME E200. FED CENSUS. ED 109, Volume 7, Sheet 22, Line 338? Guess based on daughters listing.
24. 1900 Census.
25. US Bureau of Census. 1910 FED CENSUS, MN, Houston County.
26. NATURALIZATION RECORDS LDS FILM 1,316,890 MN, HOUSTON CO., NATURALIZATION
AND CITIZENSHIP 1895-1905. PAGE 244, BOOK ?
FOUND IN FIRST INDEX ON FILM.
27. US Bureau of Census. 1860 US FED CENSUS.
28. Copy of marriage certificate and license from Esch Family Tree, 1989, by
Margie Esch Bratland.
29. Marriage Certificate.