Search for content in message boards

William Manley(Manly) SC 1700's

William Manley(Manly) SC 1700's

Posted: 12 Nov 2002 3:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Feb 2004 6:52PM GMT
Surnames: Manley/Manly; Searcy; Stepp; Henderson; Rickman; Volrath; Orr; Crenshaw; Mabe; Carr; Peterson; Bennett; Loftin
William Manley, my ggg grandfather died in Laurens Co SC in 1799. I am looking for his ancestors, parents and/or siblings.
Thanks for any help.

Re: William Manley(Manly) SC 1700's

Posted: 12 Nov 2002 4:04AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jan 2003 2:42PM GMT
Do you have a likely birth date or location for him? Maybe his age at death? Or a list of his children?

Posted: 12 Nov 2002 6:14AM GMT
I have no birth date/location for William Manley. The first info is that he died about 1799 in Laurens Co SC. Married to Elizabeth (no other info). He left a recorded will that was dated Sep 1799 and proven Jan 1, 1801.
His children: Joseph, Washington, Ephraim, Jeremiah, Vincent Tapp (my gg grandfather) and Nancy.
Washington and Vincent Tapp married sisters Isabella and Nancy Kelly d/o Daniel and Sarah Kelly.
Any info on this family?
Thanks Audrey

Kem (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2002 4:11PM GMT
Surnames: Manley/Wrenn(Wren)
I am related to this line of Manley's. My grandfather was Palmer Wright Manley son of William Townes Manley. I don't have my materials with me right now but know we have a connection.

Have I spoken to you before? Email me.

Kem

Posted: 18 Nov 2003 4:00AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2004 8:37PM GMT
Audrey:
Saw your message on Manley's in SC. late 1700'S.
My GGrandfather was James Manley Farmer B- 2/13/1835
in Darlington SC. Hopeing you may have a record showing a Manley Lady that married a man named Farmer, having a
boy and nameing him James Manley Farmer.
When you are desperate you try to find a connection anywhere you can.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks- Kent- Alachua, FL.

Posted: 18 Nov 2003 4:38AM GMT
Surnames: Manly/Manley; Searcy; Rickman; Volrath/Vollrath; Orr; Crenshaw; Mabe; Carr; Peterson; Bennett
Sorry, I do not have a Manley married to a Farmer. Thanks for asking. You never know when something clicks together like that. I will keep your email and let you know if I find anything.
Good luck with your search.
Audrey
Kenner LA

Posted: 13 Apr 2006 6:08AM GMT
Surnames: Manley
I am William Horace Manley, Jr. I know my GG Grandfather was Palmer Write Manley. I was born in Greenville, SC. I would like to get any and all information on the SC Manley's. Please E my so we can exchange info.

Posted: 13 Apr 2006 3:14PM GMT
William,
I don't think I can be of much help, but you never know we may find that link we've been looking for.
My Grandmother was born, Mabel Zenobia Farmer, Her Father was James Manly Farmer. James spelled his Manly without the E. I have a copy of the marriage certificate and it shows he was from Darlington, county SC. James fought in the War between the States
and was a prisoner when it ended.
We have never been able to make any connection with any of his ancestors. There is a 1850 census, Darlington,SC., showing Thomas Farmer with a son James Manly Farmer that would have the right age.
In my search I have assumed that Manly may have been his mother or Grandmother's maiden name and have done some searching in that direction. I don't remember the item you responded to but would like a reply. My e-mail address is kdoke1@attel.net
Hope we can help each other.
Kent

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 11:06PM GMT
Responding to an old message so I hope you're still there. In the 1790 census in Laurens county, SC there were 3 Manleys: your William (d.1799), my ancestor William and John. In your William's will he names his "trusted friend" Joel Burgess as executor. John and Joel served on a jury at the same time, so at least your William, John and Joel all knew each other. In the Public Member Trees the descendants of Joel state that he was born in Bedford county, VA. and lived from 1735-1803. I was in the Allen County Library recently and searched through the books for Bedford county, VA. I found one reference to Joel and his wife Eleanor. I also found references to a John and a William Manley, several times together in the same record which suggests to me they were brothers. Records were between 1754 and 1778. Earliest records for Manleys in Laurens county were from 1786. I think the John and William Manley who were in Bedford county were the same two who relocated to Laurens county and Joel probably moved about the same time. The only other Manley mentioned in Bedford county was a George Manley in 1777. In 1759 there were records of lawsuits of several groups/individuals vs "Manley", first name not given. I also found a will for a William Heath (d. 1774) whose wife was Martha. Two daughters named in the will were Eleanor Burgess and Elizabeth Manley. Your William's wife was Elizabeth so it looks like Wm and Joel were in-laws.Michelle LePaule

Posted: 14 Aug 2012 1:16PM GMT
Good find ... I've been searching SC records for so long and wondering if I've hit a dead end. All I get back from SC is that "Sherman burned all of our records".
We will review what you have uncovered. Thanks for the update!
DNA indicates that we are a different line than the New England Manley's. We do have a connection in Britain, but can't [so far] connect the bridge to US. TAke a look at the Manley Group on Family History DNA. I'm #13008.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic