Search for content in message boards

Ebenezer TITUS b. 1782 VA > KY > MO

Ebenezer TITUS b. 1782 VA > KY > MO

Posted: 22 Jul 2002 4:50PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: MATHEWS, MCCORKLE, TITUS
published in the "Liberty Tribune" Clay County, Missouri

September 23, 1870

Ebenezer TITUS: I was born in Augusta County, Virginia on the 11th April 1782. My forefathers were a stiff necked, and rebellious people when their rights and liberties were invaded. They fought against Great Britain 7 years for their independence, in which my uncle George MATHEWS, was conspicuous. He was an officer during the war, taken prisoner, but in what battle I know not. After the war was over, he emigrated to the State of Georgia, was there elected Governor, and held that office when State ratified the Constitution of the United States and signed his name to it.

My father emigrated to Kentucky in 1782. He built the first water mill that was ever built in Madison County. About this time he joined the Separate Baptists - continued with them until 1800, when the union took place between the regular and separate Baptists, which took place at the big meeting house in Madison County, Kentucky. I was present and heard the terms of union agreed upon. Shortly after the union took place, about 700 of the Separate Baptists withdrew from the union. A great many of them embraced the doctrine of Arius and Sebcineous. My father continued in the union and from the time he first embraced religion, his time was partly spent in beseeching and praying the people where God in his providence cast his lot, to be reconciled to God, and to seek the Lord while he might be found, and to call upon him while he was near. He died in Howard County, Missouri on the 23rd of April 1838.

I joined the United Baptist in 1818; have been both Clerk and Deacon until the infirmity of old age forbid. In 1824 I emigrated to Missouri, lived in Howard County 18 years; then moved to Ray County in 1842 - lived there until 1869, when I lost my beloved and ever affectionately remembered companion. I then divided my household and kitchen furniture and part of my land between my children. I now live with my son-in-law, John MCCORKLE, and my daughter Elizabeth.

If the illustrious dead participate with the concerns of this world, I invoke the shade of my venerable departed father and uncle to look down with scrutiny on the conduct of their disfranchised son and nephew, and see if he ever has departed from rectitude which was their good pleasure to instill into his youthful mind, or if he ever hesitated to support, defend and protect the Government which they fought seven years to establish. I was an old line Whig, but shall henceforth vote with the Democrats if permitted.

(I have no connection with this family; but, if you found this to be of value, please let me know.)

Re: Ebenezer TITUS b. 1782 VA > KY > MO

Posted: 24 Jul 2002 12:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Thanks again!!

Posted: 14 Feb 2003 4:23PM GMT
Edited: 27 Mar 2003 4:55PM GMT
Surnames: TITUS-O'Dell
John, I am replying to your message posted here concerning the statement given by Ebenezer Titus. If I remember correctly, Ebenezer Titus made this statement publicly, as it was put before those staunch Southern Sympathizers after the Civil War, that all would be "forgiven", and they could again vote, if they would just pledge allegiance to the Union. This speech was Ebenezer's answer to the Union. Concerning the Titus family, they forgot to put stubborn between the word "staunch" and the word "southern". Ebenezer would not forsake his family history and its' beliefs. In his speech, he gives us all a reason to stand up and be proud Titus descendants. Just to let those who are interested and who are family know that this Ebenezer Titus is John C. Titus', Thomas and Noah's grandfather. He was Mary Polly's father. He was also Joseph's uncle, Mary Polly's husband, as Mary Polly Titus-Titus and Joseph Titus were first cousins. I hope I didn't make this too confusing.
I had the pleasure of reading Ebenezer's last will and testament. In it he does not leave anything to Noah Titus, and he made mention of it, but did leave his share to his descendants. We still aren't clear as to why, but perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Noah was never "pardoned", as were John C. and Thomas Titus. Noah was never recaptured as were John and Thomas. The pardon was issued by Gov. Benjamin Gratz Brown. His mansion is an historical landmark today in the state of Missouri.
Also to note: Some researchers are confusing their JOHN C. TITUS with OUR JOHN C. TITUS. Their John C. Titus is a cousin to our John C Titus. I have seen written in documents at the Clay County Historical Library where the researchers claim that their John C. Titus was definitely married to at least 2 different women, one named Carolyn and they state that it can be proven. That much is true, their John C. did marry a Carolyn. Only one problem, their John C. doesn't have the same siblings nor does he have the same parentage as does our John C. Titus. And not only that, but our John C. Titus was married to only one woman, and her name was Jenetta Catharine O'Dell, daughter of Isaac and Eleanor Riggs-O'Dell. Our John C. Titus died in December of 1900 in Fannin Co., Tx, and after his death, his wife Jenetta moved into Oklahoma to be with her children who had moved there from Fannin Co., earlier. She didn't pass away until August of 1909.
I hope this is of some use to someone.
I am a descendant of John C. Titus.

Re: Ebenezer TITUS ? related to Frazor Titus?

Posted: 2 Mar 2003 1:18AM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2003 2:10PM GMT
Surnames: Titus Edmondson Wilson
Just wondering if you know if Ebenezer was related to Frazor Titus, said to be born in Wales 1800, came to America at age 20, settled in Memphis, TN in 1822, became wealthy cotton factor, prominent citizen. He 1st. m. Louisa A. Edmondson, 2nd. m. Sarah A. Wilson and had Ebenezer Titus, b. 1845 In Memphis, died Dec. 12, 1876 in California. He served in the CSA even though very young. He is buried in Elmwood Cem. in Memphis along with other relatives. I am not related, but am doing volunteer research for Elmwood and Edmondson Cemeteries.

Bill Arthurs (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2003 6:14PM GMT
Your Frazor Titus was not born in Wales. He was born in Davidson Co., TN in 1800, son of James Titus, a doctor who was employed by the U.S. government to assist in removing the Choctaw and Chickasaw Indians to the Indian Territory in OK. Frazor had an elder brother, Ebenezer who was born Feb. 7, 1796, also in Davidson Co., TN. They are all descended from Abiel Titus, fourth son of Robert Titus, who came to MA from England in 1635. Frazor’s brother is not the Ebenezer referred to in the original posting.

Posted: 15 Mar 2003 6:28PM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2003 2:10PM GMT
Surnames: Titus
Thank you for the information. Since my original posting I found the Davidson Co., TN information. Apparently the "Wales" origin was just a story someone made up, but it was included in a publication about one of the Titus descendants in a eulogy. I guess Wales sounded more interesting than Nashville. I also found mention that one of Frazor's sons, James F. Titus, died in Davidson Co. during the Civil War and was buried near where his parents grew up. I volunteer as a docent for Historic Elmwood Cemetery in Memphis and we have a tour where the guides assume the persona of someone that is buried there. We wear period costumes and relate information about the person as if we were that person telling about his or her life. I hope to portray Frazor Titus some time this year.

Bill Arthurs (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2003 6:46PM GMT
What a wonderful way to teach the history of your area! I had never heard of the idea before. Good work!

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 1:34PM GMT
Surnames: Titus, Snow, Hutchings
I am trying to determine how my Snow family is related to other families living in Fishing River Township in the 1840 and 1850 censuses. In 1850, my ancestor, Samuel Snow and wife, Sarah Crawford, are living next door to Joseph Titus, b. 1810 KY, and wife, Mary, b. 1810 KY, having moved there about 1843. There is a Missouri death certificate for Joseph Titus, b. 29 Aug 1846 and died, 21 Apr 1919 (both Ray County). His parents are given as AE/AJ/?? Titus (not sure of initials) and D?ssy Snow. I believe my Snows are from the Madison/Estill KY Snows, so it would make sense that they may be related to the Titus' family in Fishing River Twp.

Does anyone know about the Joseph b. 29 Aug 1846? I know this is the date given to Joseph, son of the above couple, Joseph and Mary Titus, but I'm wondering if the dates should be given to another Joseph; however, Joseph and Mary are the couple who live next door to my Snows.

Thanks, Marilyn

Re: Ebenezer TITUS b. 1782 VA > KY > MO Joseph Ray Co.

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 7:52PM GMT
The more I look at the death certificate, it looks like what's written down for Joseph, b. 1846, is A & J Titus. That would match Abraham and Jane for the parents, but it's just a guess. For "mother," it looks like Dessie, or Dassie, or Dessi. Some liquid dropped on the record in two spots makes it difficult to read. I have seen death certificates where the maiden name was the name of the person who signs for the family and also where the name was a grandmother's name, so I'm not set on Dessie Snow being Joseph's mother. However, I think there is a connection. The family member who signed was John C. Zimmerman, son of Titus Zimmerman and Lucinda/Luvina/Lurinda Titus, and these individuals are are buried at Lawson where some of Snows are buried.

My Snows were somewhere in KY, probably at Paint Lick, Madison County, and then moved to Warren County, Ohio, by 1811, where Sarah Snow marries Samuel Taff. By 1820, they are in Jefferson/Clark/Shelby Counties Indiana. James S. Snow is in Ray County in 1840 and Samuel is in Greene County, MO, in 1840, and a couple of years later moves to Ray County. He has been convicted for gambling. I suspect the mill he leased on the James River from a Frakes was being used for gambling as a he was part of a group of men tried for gambling (he said in records that he would appeal, but by 1844, two of the children are married in Ray County).

Has anyone heard mention of Snow family?? Thanks, Marilyn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions