Search for content in message boards

Drozdowski, Stara Lomza, Bialystock

Drozdowski, Stara Lomza, Bialystock

Posted: 15 May 2006 9:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Drozdowski,Wisniewski,Konopka, Samluc.
My grandfather Kazmier Drosdowski was born in Stara Lomza and supposedly baptized at St Michael Cathedral in Lomza. (about 1870), The church records during this period were in Russian and noone at the church can read Russian. LDS records stop in late 1860's. My cousin in Lomza visited the church and they also told her the same thing. Kazmier came to USA in 1897 and settled in Cheboygan, MI. Have lots of church records for related family members: Kaczmarczyk, Wisniewski, Konopka, Brodzek. Any suggestion on how to find a translator in Lomza ?

Re: Drozdowski, Stara Lomza, Bialystock

Jerry (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2006 8:03PM GMT
I have no suggestion on locating a Russian translator, but I would suggest trying to find a record of the birth in the civil archives, perhaps the closest one is in Warsaw. Good luck.

Re: Drozdowski, Stara Lomza, Bialystok

Posted: 14 Jun 2006 5:48PM GMT
In checking the state archives in Lomza, it shows that they do not have Roman Catholic records for the year range: http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.eng.php

If the church has the record, your cousin can find it. The books should be indexed. All she/he has to do it view the index. She will need to know how the name is spelled in Russian. Once she finds it in the index, she needs to go to the record. "Normally" everything in the documents is in Russian, but they also have the names of the parents and child in Polish. The books from my grandparents parishes were recorded in this manner. Surely she can find someone, who still remembers Russian to go there and help her. If not, let me know. I have the "old" Russian alphabet, which I use. Before viewing microfilm, I learn how to write the surnames in Russian so that I can recognize them in the indexes. Let me know if you would like to have a copy of it. This used to be on the Internet in pdf. I saved it many years ago.

The archives has Lutheran, Jewish, Protestant and Roman Catholic record. No civil records are listed.

Tina Ellis

Re: Drozdowski, Stara Lomza, Bialystok

Betty Bellous (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2006 11:53PM GMT
Tina: thanks for the info. I bought a book on Russian language and looked at the Russian microfilms but it is very difficult for me to make any sense of their entries. I would be interested in seeing what you have copied as an aid.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions