Search for content in message boards

Caroline Combs family

Caroline Combs family

Posted: 8 Apr 2007 9:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Combs,Hoppers,Hopperas
Researching family of Caroline Combs, b 1840 in North Carolina either Wilkes or Allegheny county. Have some information on her children Jacob, Henry, Wiley, Isom, Robey and Nancy. Need info on her and her parents. The father of the above children was Jacob Hoppers or Hopperas. It appears that he and Caroline were never married.

Her son Wiley married Mary Caudill, Jacob married Rosa Crouse. Have no info on other children other than birth dates.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Caroline Combs family

Posted: 9 Apr 2007 9:42PM GMT
I didn't have Wiley's lineage so thank you for getting this back at least one more generation for me.

Mary was daughter of James "Harrison" Caudill.

Is it a documented fact that Jacob Hoppers was the father?

Posted: 9 Apr 2007 10:47PM GMT
This Caroline Combs could be your Caroline or perhaps married daughter of Joseph Blevins? Just dug around for a few minutes so maybe nothing new here for you. That she lives next to Wm. Combs certainly is curious!

Alleghany wasn't formed until 1859 as I recall. Try the 1860 Wilkes Census: Traphill. Image 31 of 199: 1860; Census Place: Lower Division, Wilkes, North Carolina; Roll: M653_918; Page: 16; Image: 33.
Joseph Blevins 60 + Nancy Blevins 60 + Mary Blevins 35 + Alvis Blevins 25 + Eli Blevins 22 + Nancy Blevins 6 + Alvis Blevins 3 + Caroline Combs 23 + Nancy J Combs 1.12

Living next to
William Combs 56 + Libey Combs 58 + Harrison Combs 21 + Milly Combs 18 + Meridith Combs 15 + Miry Combs 12.

Posted: 10 Apr 2007 4:01PM GMT
Classification: Deed
Surnames: Combs, Hoppers
There are 2 Alleghany County deeds that indicate Caroline Combs had children fathered by Jacob Hoppers.

Oct. 3, 1867 Jacob HOPPERAS to William WHITEHEAD as trustee for Caroline COMBS, 103 acres on Little River adj. a branch, for $1 and for "the love & affection I have for Caroline COMES & her heirs." Land to be held in trust by William WHITEHEAD for use & benefit of Caroline COMES during her natural life & then to her heirs. Signed: Jacob (X) HOPPERAS. Wits: C.H. DOUGHDEN, Allen FENDER. Proved Oct. term 1867 (ack'd). Alleghany DB 1:339

Apr. 9, 1869 Jacob HOPPERAS to Wm. WARDIN, Solomon STAMPER, & William HOPPERAS, [mortgage deed], 222 acres on Little River known as the home tract of said Jacob HOPPERAS whereon he now lives, adj. Isham WAGGONER, William WHITEHEAD, & Daniel WHITEHEAD. To secure a $1,000 recognizance entered by Wm. WARDIN, Solomon STAMPER, & William HOPPERAS with the said Jacob HOPPERAS, "the condition of which is that said Jacob HOPPERAS do well & truly perform a judgment of the Superior Court . . . that he will not live in adultery with Caroline COMBS & shall make his personal appearance at the at the next spring term of the Superior Court to be held for the County of Alleghany". Signed: Jacob (X) HOPPERAS, Wm. WARDEN, William (X) HOPPERAS, S.S. STAMPER. Witness: J.H. PARKS. Proved Sept. 28, 1869, by J.H. PARKS. Reg. Sept. 28, 1869. Alleghany DB 1:338

Posted: 8 Nov 2008 10:58PM GMT
Surnames: Combs
I have a Joseph Combs born March 19 1899 in Alleghany Co. North Carolina

His dads name was Harrison Combs but i have no information on him

Posted: 8 Nov 2008 11:03PM GMT
Jospeh could have been bron in 1865, i messed up on the birthdate

Posted: 8 Nov 2008 11:30PM GMT
Sorry, I don't have a Joseph or a Harrison Combs. Wish I could help.

Posted: 9 Aug 2009 1:18AM GMT
This Caroline Combs is my ancestor and she had a brother named Harrison, who had a son Joe. This is the information that I have. I know the dates don't exactly match, but have found in my research that what we think we know as fact, sometimes isn't exactly correct. Let me know if you think that these people might be from your family!
Thanks!
Sherri Stuart
shawnie_fawn@yahoo.com

1880 USA Census Gap Civil Twp, Alleghany Co, NC
206. COMBS, Harrison, 46, farmer, NC NC NC
-- Nancy, 45, wife, housekeeping, NC NC NC
-- Polly, 12, dau, NC NC NC
-- Eli, 10, son, laborer, NC NC NC
-- Merideth, 10, son, laborer, NC NC NC
-- Joe, 7, son, NC NC NC

Posted: 9 Aug 2009 5:25AM GMT
Surnames: COMBS-LUNDY-CAUDILL-BRINEGAR
I have no connection to this family but "Alleghany Co., NC Marriages 1849-1900" by George Henry Latham shows:
Joseph Combs/21/b.AlleghanyCo son/of Harrison Combs & Nancy ___ md 10 Feb 1894 Julia Ann Combs/20/b.AlleghanyCo d/o Jackson Combs & Martha____ (I show Jackson Combs md Martha Howell 6-15-1855-AsheCo,NC). There are also marriages for 1)Eli, 2)Isaac, 3)Meredith & 4)Sarah Ann Combs for whom Harrison & Nancy are also shown as parents.
1)Eli age 19 md 1 Nov 1891 Ellen Brinegar/17/b.AlleghanyCo d/o Leroy Brinegar & Cynthia Osborn
2)Isaac age 20 md 3-21-1878 Malinda Lundy/22/b.Grayson Co, VA d/o John Lundy & Jane (full name Matilda Jane Wright per my data)
3)Meredith 19 md 3-29-1892 Mary Caudill/19/b.AlleghanyCo d/o Ruffin Caudill & Caroline___
4)Sary Ann 15 md 1-19-1885 Miles W Lundy/21/b.GraysonCo,VA s/o John Lundy/Matilda (Miles Wesley bro/of Malinda Lundy shown above--siblings md siblings)
Don Houk in Tokyo

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 4:25AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 2 Aug 2014 4:30AM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic