Search for content in message boards

Woods Gap Cemetery

Woods Gap Cemetery

Posted: 10 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Nov 2005 9:23PM GMT
Surnames: Spencer, Cooper, Cummings, Clark, Harris, Howell, Cockram
Can anyone tell me how to get to this cemetery? In O. E. Pilson's book entitled, "Tombstone Inscriptions of the Cemeteries of Patrick County Virginia", he states that it is located on the side of the Blue Ridge Mountain, in Wood's Gap. Approximately 2 miles South of the blue Ridge Parkway. This is my wife's descendants and I would like to take some photographs there. Any help appreciated.

Woods Gap Cemetery

Charles Harris (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: HARRIS, SHELOR, WOOD, BLACKARD, DEHART
Unfortunately, the property that includes the Woods Gap Cemetery in Patrick County was posted when I last checked in November of 2000. If you can find the owner and get permission, however, the directions are as follows: From the junction of Rt 8, head north on the Blue Ridge Parkway about 3 miles till you see the sign post for Woods Gap on the right. Follow this road through the little village of Haycock. Bear left at a fork in the road and park where you can find a wide area, since the road is rough. Walk about 3/4 mile to the crest of Woods Gap, then descend about a half mile, then follow a sharp turn right to a pond. (The pond is shown on the USGS topo map of the Woolwine Quadrangle.) The cemetery is in woods past a cabin there. If you locate the owner and get permission, please let me know as I would like to see the place again.
Charles Harris

Woods Gap Cemetery

Garland Wood (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Wood
I recently visited Grandpa Dickeys gravesite at Woods Gap in Patrick County. My dad lives near there and took me there in April of 2001. We were able to drive all the way to the cemetery but I would advise a 4x4 and only try it in the winter when it is dry. We spoke to the man who lives at the house right before the turnoff at the pond. He was very nice and helpful. Didn't get his name though.I have some pictures of you would like to see them please email me at Woodysgmc@aol.com and I will send them to you. If I figure how to post them on the web I'll do that.

Re: Woods Gap Cemetery

Ray Wood (View posts)
Posted: 7 Nov 2003 5:35PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, Hylton, DeHart, Shrewsbury, McKinney
I am a decendant of the Wood family from Patrick Co. I am looking for some biographical information relating to any of the following:

William Clayborn Wood (1853-1916)
Nancy Ann Hylton (1854-1948)

Isaac Wood (1829-??)
Luvinia Akers(1833-??)

Jeremiah Gabriel Wood (1801-1893)
Sarah Dergan (1809-1869)
Mary Dehart (1804-1889)

Richard "Dickie" Wood (1769-1859)
Rachel Cockran (1774-1823)

John Wood (1745-1816)
Nellie Milly (?-?)

Stephen Wood (1725-1781)
Ann Johnson (1722-?)

John Richard Wood (1700-1777)
Ann Gormain (?-?)

I would appreciate any help you might provide with any of this information. If you can't help; could you direct me to some possible sources of information.

Thank You,

Virgil Ray Wood, Jr.
986 Lynx Loop Ne.
Albuquerque, NM 87122

(505) 856-1371
vrwood@comcast.net

Posted: 12 Jan 2012 9:30PM GMT
I am researching the Hancock family in Patrick County, VA and noticed the posts for Woods Gap Cementery. Has anyone that visited the cementery noticed any headstones with Hancock on them? Are you aware of other cementery plots in Patrick Couty? Please respond to: tom.hancock15@gmail.com.
Thanks

Posted: 4 Apr 2012 1:29PM GMT
If I were you, I'd check out findagrave.com - you can search the surname, as well as see images of headstones and request pictures of headstones.

Good luck in your search! I'm hoping to visit the cemetery next weekend - if I find any of your family's headstones, I'll be sure to let you know!

Posted: 9 Apr 2012 6:00PM GMT

Posted: 9 Apr 2012 6:05PM GMT

Posted: 5 Sep 2012 7:45PM GMT
visited on Sept 2, 2012 Here r better directions; go on Parkway 6 miles north of Rt 8. turn rt onto Haycock Rd for about a mile turn onto Griffith lane a gravel road, about a mile rd forks go straight, go till you see a sign that says entering Patrick Co leaving Floyd Co, road forks again go straight which will start to descend. u will get to a house on rt where Chris lives, continue till you get 2 an overgrown clearing, u will have 2 make a u turn to get 2 a road that continues 2 descend, the road will pass a pond with camping trailer, follow road till end. there is the cemetery. The road has been graveled all the way 2 cemetery, drive while the ground is dry. Worth the Trip
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions