Search for content in message boards

Pilgrim, Puritan & Priscilla steamers of the Fall River line

Pilgrim, Puritan & Priscilla steamers of the Fall River line

Posted: 18 Oct 2007 10:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: weed
My ancestor was the chief engineer on all 3 steamers, probably from the 1880's until the early 1900's. His name was Charles Weed and I have found him on 3 city directories but can't find him in any census records.
Here is where and when I did find him through the city directories:

Fall River, Massachusetts City Directories, 1889-91
Name: Charles Weed
Business Name: steamer "Pilgrim"
Year: 1889
City: Fall River
State: MA
~~~
Business Name: steamer "Puritan"
Year: 1890
~~~
Business Name: steamer "Puritan"
Year: 1891

Can anyone help me locate this man in any records. According to a letter written by his brother in January, 1902, he is still the chief engineer on the Priscilla. Also in this letter is a statement that he was a "bachelor."
Any help or direction will be gratefully appreciated.
Sincerely,
Kathy

Re: Pilgrim, Puritan & Priscilla steamers of the Fall River line

Posted: 19 Oct 2007 11:48AM GMT
Hi Kathy,
There is a Charles Weed listed in Newport RI...on the directories his occupation is given as simply and engineer. In the 1910 Census, he is listed as Chief Engineer/Passenger Boat. The only thing is...he is not a bachelor, he is married with children. Newport and Fall River are relatively close to each other...Whenever I see people looking for someone in these areas, I always try border hopping. Check out the Newport Charles Weed and see if you think it could be him. What was his brother's name?
Lisa

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2007 8:07PM GMT

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2007 8:07PM GMT

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2007 8:11PM GMT
Kathy,

Above is link to the Keeley Library @ BMC Durfee High School for the link to the local history of Fall River. There is info on the Fall River Line on the site, located the 3 boat names you mentioned.

Or you can google Fall River Line and get a variety of links. It appears one of the destinations was Newport.

Elizabeth

Posted: 19 Oct 2007 8:22PM GMT
Hi Lisa and thanks for your response.
I did see the R.I. Charles and thought that perhaps we didn't know as much about him as we thought we did : )
He had a whole bunch of siblings, all born in New York, but the brothers were: John S., Joseph K., David M. & Leonard S. He also had a half-brother named George W. who lived in Berkshire County, Ma.
The above brood were born between 1832 & 1850, Charles being born July 8, 1834.

Thanks again Lisa and I will look at Rhode Island.
Sincerely, Kathy

Posted: 19 Oct 2007 9:20PM GMT
Thank you Elizabeth. I did stumble onto that site a few days back and thoroughly enjoyed all that I read. I even saw pictures of the steamers (google search), but no mention of Charles Weed who worked on them : )
I believe he did work on them, but would love to see him on a census record!
According to the letter written by his brother, he had a namesake that took over his posistion!
This may have been a Charles Weed or perhaps one of his sisters who had a son named Charles.
Again, thanks so much.
Sincerely, Kathy

Posted: 20 Oct 2007 9:24AM GMT
Ahhh...okay, the Charles Weed I was looking at may be "his namesake" you mention in the other message...because he was born more like 1861 New York.

I am going to direct you to the following link, which is 1850 Marlborough, Ulster Co., NY...based on the brother's names, perhaps this is your man?
http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbi...

If that doesn't work for some reason, the Head of Household is Elisabeth Weed, Dwelling house visited: # 62; she is age 42 b. NY.

In 1870 Marlborough...there is a Charles Weed, b. Abt. 1861 living in the home of what appears to be Mary Weed, age 53; b. Ireland. Maybe that is our "namesake", but I can't seem to find them before that to indicate who Mary's husband was! Also listed with them was James, age 11 and John age 8.

Charles is an elusive kind of guy!
Lisa

Posted: 20 Oct 2007 2:52PM GMT
Hi Lisa and yes, the 1850 census with Elizabeth and the kids is the right family. Eizabeth again is enumerated on the 1860 census, but with only 2 of her 9 children living with her. By the 1870 census, most have moved to Chemung County, NY or Fillmore County, MN.
The older kids stayed in the NY area and yes, Charles is almost elusive! I wonder if he had a room on board the ship and escaped the enumeration for all those years!
The namesake Charles who carried on as chief engineer could very well be his nephew, Charles Weed who was b. 1866 in Chemung County. He seemed to follow in his uncle's footsteps as I can't find him on any census records!
FYI Elizabeth, after having 10 chi., 9 who lived to adulthood, was left by her hubby who re-married in 1851 and had a few more....his son from his second? marriage, George W. lived in Berkshire Co., MA.
Perhaps he saw his half brother Charles??
Thanks again Lisa for all your wonderful help : )
Sincerely, Kathy
p.s.
The Weed family on the 1870 census.....yikes! I hope he didn't leave another family to fend for themselves!

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2007 4:25PM GMT
Kathy,
From the link regarding the Fall River Line, it appears the steamboat line to New York from Fall River was set up in 1847. So he may have been working on the boats for many years before being the chief engineer.

Elizabeth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions