Search for content in message boards

Family of John Joseph Swoboda July 13, 1819

Family of John Joseph Swoboda July 13, 1819

Posted: 14 Jan 2002 2:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Apr 2005 4:27PM GMT
Looking for the date John Joseph and family came to US. Port of entry and the name of the other brother that possible came with him. Also looking to verify the spelling of last name - Swoboda or Svoboda.

Re: Family of John Joseph Swoboda July 13, 1819

Posted: 18 May 2012 4:22AM GMT
Surnames: Swoboda
You probably have an answer to your question already, but I think I have some info that will help in case you don't.
According to research I have conducted via Ancestry.com and a few other sources, I know that John Joseph Swoboda came through the German port of Bremen to New York in approximately 1857.
There are many variations of the name: Swododa; Svoboda; Swobaday; and Swobody which have been used in this country. John Joseph came from Moravia and used the spelling Swoboda to my knowledge. It is how it is listed on his gravestone.

My grandmother, Minnie (Oliva Philaminnie)Swoboda Stevens was John Joseph's granddaughter by his son Charles Leopold Swoboda. Many members of this family lived in or near Franklin Co, MO. Minnie moved to St. Joseph, MO before 1915 and remained their until her death in 1967. I do not know anything yet about a brother who may have traveled with him. I do know that several of his children were born in Austria including Charles. I believe there were a couple children by his second wife, Anna Nauser who were born in America.
I hope this is helpful. I am really just starting to put the pieces together myself. How are you connected to the Swoboda family?
Hope you are still with Ancestry.com and receive this! I would sure be interested in communicating more with you about this.

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 3:19AM GMT
I too am trying to piece together the Swoboda Family.
My husband was a grand son of Alice Carolyn Swoboda Pryor, sister to your Minnie. Basically, have the same info as you on John Joseph, but know more about Minnie and Alice's siblings if you wish to communicate. Tonight I was trying to research Minnie. Where is her gravesite? and was her husband John H. Stevens?

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 1:12PM GMT
I am not related, just a little note: on http://www.mundia.com there are more than 4-5 quite large profiles for John Joseph Swoboda family. For example also Oliva Philomena Swoboda, born: Washington, Franklin, Missouri, USA 1891 - died: St. Joseph, Buchanan, Missouri, USA 1967
http://www.mundia.com/us/Person/26262132/13003964066
Regards

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: Swoboda
My grandparents, John H. (Hank) Stevens and Minnie Swoboda Stevens are both buried at Memorial Gardens Cemetery in St. Joseph, MO.
I am interested in any further information you have regarding the family. I do remember my mother (Doris June Stevens) mentioning her cousin Karleene. I may have met her when I was young as we visited St. Joe every summer. I know Aunt Alice passed away pretty early and I do not recall meeting her.

I am very close to an elder cousin, Clifford Dilla (Aunt Clare's grandson). He is 80 now and still lives in St. Joe.

I know there is some connection to Aaron Burr as I remember a funny story Mamaw (Minnie) used to tell about our Aunt May (another sister) wishing to be related to him. I still have been unable to track anything further back than Mary.

Thanks for contacting me! Where do you live? I am in NJ now, but grew up in the Philadelphia, PA area. I would imagine Karleene remembers my mother, Doris. She passed away in 2007 after a courageous battle with Pancreatic Cancer. She would have been 89 this past December.

Looking forward to hearing from you again, Deanna!
Beth Sanders
sanderbay@verizon.net

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 7:03PM GMT
Thank you for passing along this connection. Lots to investigate!

Much appreciated!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic