Cyn221 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2006 3:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ROUNDTREE, SAMUEL, BINION, POPE, STATEN,
I'm looking for any information or photos on Sunshine Baptist Church

Re: Sunshine Baptist Church in Alto/Rayvill

Posted: 12 Sep 2010 3:32AM GMT
Is this the black church located on Nelson Bend Road (Hwy 135) in Rayville (This hwy goes to alto).

Posted: 15 Sep 2010 3:28AM GMT
located about 2 miles from my home. What photos do you need? And where do I email them?

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 2:53PM GMT
My great great grandfather was a deacon there. I'm told a couple of his girls also grew up as Ushers in that church. I wondering is there any form of gravesite located on the property? Also, wondering if they still have Sunday service there?
Note: Can't believe I posted original inquiry in 2006 and got a reply 4 years later. Goes to show we never put the search completely down.

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 2:57PM GMT
I guess I am just a little slow. LOL! I will go there in the next couple of days and take some photos and see what I can find out. It is within a couple miles of my home. When I get them we can arrange to email them to you or something. My email is brendareddick@hughes.net should you wish to contact me directly. Hope I can be of help.

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 10:54PM GMT
Went by there today. It is raining here so could not get anything done. There is a cemetery on the church grounds. The graves seems to be mostly very old and not kept up, as in marked well, except for a couple of sections that are kept very well. I will get photos as soon as it dries a little if you would like.

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 4:07AM GMT
Surnames: Roundtree, Samuel, Kidd, Goldsmith
Yes I appreciate it very much. Thanks for your email. My email is cyn221@yahoo.com. Anything would be greatly appreciated. I assume there are so my family members keeping up that small section.

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 4:39PM GMT
Were you ever able to go there and jot down grave markers? I'm trying to locate burial locations of a (negro) family from Rayville - surname Statun/Statum or Staten/Statem. Allen (d. 1968), Lillie(b. 1919), Bettie (d. 1977) and Chester (d. 1965). There's been different spellings in the various census records.

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 5:53AM GMT
sorry I am just seeing this for some reason. The Staten family ae numerous her in the Rayville area but haven't heard of the other spellings. If I am not mistaken one of the Staten males works at the police dept in Rayville. I went to school with several Statens. Willie Staten was in my graduating class in 1973. Willie was the one at the police Dept. Suppose he is still there. No stones reflect Staten.

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 2:54PM GMT
Brenda - send me an email at: bruceswander(at)hotmail.com I'll give you the background on why I'm searching, along with info from census so far. I'm a military historian and could use some help from someone in the area.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic