Search for content in message boards

CUTLER from Hampshire, England

CUTLER from Hampshire, England

Posted: 5 Jan 2010 1:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jan 2010 1:42AM GMT
Surnames: Cutler, Bean, Gover, Oakley
Hi,
I am looking for the parents of Thomas Cutler, born around 1730, whereabouts unknown. Thomas Cutler married Martha Bean in 1766 in Portsea, Hayling Is. Martha Bean was born on Hayling Is. in 1742. Their eldest son was William Cutler born abt. 1776 in Portsea. He married Charlotte Gover in 1797. Their son was Charles Cutler born abt 1797 (Portsea) and married Sarah Oakley in 1825 in Newington. They lived in Lambeth where he worked as a carpenter until 1851 when the family emigrated to Australia. My ancestor is their son Charles (b.1827).

Family legend is that the Cutler's were exiled to Hayling Island, but from where or when is unknown. Can anyone help with this?

Re: CUTLER from Hampshire, England

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 10:34AM GMT
Surnames: CUTLER
Hi Margaret,
I have Cutlers in my line as well - not sure if they are connected. But I did a quick search and came up with ... http://calstenn.tripod.com/genealogy1-1.htm - may be of interest with info and/or contacts?
Karen

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 10:02PM GMT
Surnames: Cutler Bean
Hi Karen,

Thank-you for taking the time to look into this Cutler. Yes, this is my Thomas Cutler (married Martha Bean). Unfortunately I can't get back further than this with any certainty. Our family thought that the Cutler's had come from Aberdeen and were exiled to Hayling Island but I can't find anything to support this. Would this be your line of Cutler's?

Thanks again,
Margaret

Posted: 3 Feb 2010 3:23AM GMT
Hi Margaret,

My pleasure - I had wondered if the links to whomever posted the info may have provided you with another source of informaton? I believe I have traced my Cutler's back to ...

Joseph CUTLER (b.circa 1794 Ibsley Hampshire)(gggg-grandfather)(TBC) m Mary MANLY (TBC)
James CUTLER (b.circa 1817 Christchurch Hampshire)(ggg-grandfather)(TBC) m Maria ? (TBC)
Annie CUTLER (b. circa 1853 Christchurch Hampshire)(gg-grandmother) m. William Robert ROGERS
Emily Louisa ROGERS (aka Kate)(b.1879 Christchurch Hampshire)(g-grandmother) m John Charles Henry GATES
Evelyn Doris GATES (b.1912 South Fulham)(grandmother) m Thomas Walter PAINE

James had an older brother named William so I wondered if there was a connection with it being a family name? May be fun to know!

Believe that the Cutlers and Rogers were involved in smuggling (aka Free Trading!) so maybe that was the reason for being exiled? Just a thought!

Karen

Posted: 13 Feb 2010 4:04PM GMT
Surnames: Cutler
Dear Margaret
I have just found your messages and I am also researching the Cutlers from Hayling. I have copied a will of Thomas Cutler proved 1808, which mentions all 7 of his children including William. Thomas also was a carpenter. I am interested in a Thomas Cutler born in Hayling about 1802/04 who was married in LONDON in the 1820's. He was my paternal GGGrandfather and I wonder if your Charles, son of William. had a brother with that name. There is also a Thomas and John but the rest are girls. Do hope we have a connection. Regards,Jonyth

Re: CUTLER from Hampshire, England > Moses?

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 5:48AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2011 5:35AM GMT
Hi

Are any of the 7 brothers named Moses??

Re: CUTLER from Hampshire, England > Moses?

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 10:18AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2011 5:36AM GMT
No,Iam sorry they are not.
Jonyth

Posted: 28 Feb 2010 11:00AM GMT
Surnames: Cutler, Gover, Oakley
Hi Jonyth,

I have been getting confused with my Cutler's from Hayling as I can not find where they came from. I know my Charles (son of William) was born in Hampshire on 10th December, 1799. He married Sarah Oakley in 1825 in Kent. They lived in Lambeth before moving to Australia in 1850. His father was William Cutler b.1775 of Hayling Is. and he married Charlotte Gover in 1797. I know of no other children of Willliam and Charlotte and have not been able to find any other information on them. However, William's father was Thomas Cutler and mother Martha Bean. Thomas and Martha are as far back as I can go with certainty, except I believe Thomas' father was named John. Do you think this is the same family? I do hope so!

Posted: 28 Feb 2010 11:00AM GMT
Surnames: Cutler, Gover, Oakley
Hi Jonyth,

I have been getting confused with my Cutler's from Hayling as I can not find where they came from. I know my Charles (son of William) was born in Hampshire on 10th December, 1799. He married Sarah Oakley in 1825 in Kent. They lived in Lambeth before moving to Australia in 1850. His father was William Cutler b.1775 of Hayling Is. and he married Charlotte Gover in 1797. I know of no other children of Willliam and Charlotte and have not been able to find any other information on them. However, William's father was Thomas Cutler and mother Martha Bean. Thomas and Martha are as far back as I can go with certainty, except I believe Thomas' father was named John. Do you think this is the same family? I do hope so!

Posted: 3 Mar 2010 8:15PM GMT
Hi Margaret
Nice to hear from you. I am really hoping that either William or one of his brothers had a son Thomas that would fit in with my relation and of course yours. We may be getting nearer than we think but it does take time and patience is a virtue. I did goto look at the Parish Records at Winchester but could only find one female Cutler registered so not much help.
Regards,
Jonyth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions